Warming Up

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Budi, May 15, 2019.

1. Budi

Budi Regular Member

Well, basically i had a solving for my problem but maybe there is some profesional/technical explainantion for my case. Here it is.

As everyone did, before doing sport acitivity we all do some stretching & warming up. But when i havent done enough warming up, when playing my stamina drain faster & near the end of 1 match i will start feeling dizzy. It usually happen when im arrive abit late, just do short (5minute at most) warming up & we start playing rightaway.

What i do to solve it, im just do more warming up like 15-20 minute stretching, small running/jumping, stroke exchange (clear then drive & last smash). With it i feel i can play all day & had no dizzy or out of breath.
    I tought im kinda slow warm body type. Kinda like diesel machine that perform not that good on cold condition.

2. llrr

llrr Regular Member

That's normal. I had similar issues in the past as well. You also need to make sure to have some food and be hydrated before your games. I take forever to warm up, like sometimes I only feel warmed up after playing the first match.

3. Ronster

Ronster Regular Member

I feel better technically and stamina-wise after taking a long(30 min) rest or after eating. Normally id feel restless in my first few games because i only warm up(hit few clears drives and drops) for like 2 mins before the first game.

I guess I should start warming up longer lol

4. speCulatius

speCulatius Regular Member

Before talking about warm up, let's talk about why you arrive late.... it might have been a busy day, it might have been some unforeseen event right when you wanted to leave or something else.
    This is where not only hydration and nutrition (I often don't eat enough when I'm busy), but also mental readiness might be compromised. A glass of water and a banana can help with the first two issues (while it's too late to really solve that problem when you realize it just before exercise) and doing the same warm up routine everytime does not only warm up your body, but can also help to get your mind focused on badminton. It's the same reason why you want to have routines when serving, etc.

What should a warm up look like? It should start with some basic warm up like running in different ways to involve different muscles, followed by some mobility exercise/dynamic stretching. I suggest to not do any static stretches during warm up for several reasons. I need to add some stability exercises then, they mostly include some dynamic stretching, too and they help me to activate my core and to get enough tension in my legs. This is followed by an activation phase.
    This is all off-court and I can easily suggest you a warm-up routine for this that will take you around an hour, but that's not necessary.
    Does this mean that you're doing 15-20 minutes of stretching or are the 15-20 minutes referring to the complete routine?

If you have a warm up routine, do it everytime, maybe prepare a normal and a short version that still includes all the elements. I'm happy to suggest changes to your routine if you let me know some details, on my YouTube channel I do have a suggestion for a 20 minute warm up routine already and I'm planning to do a larger collection where everybody can choose the pieces that work for them. It's not black and white, there's nothing that's the right warm up routine and very little that can be seen as wrong warm up, so I'm not saying that my suggestions are better, but if you're interested, I can tell you why to do each part.

It's very personal.... If you have issues with your ankles, you might want to do more mobilization for them and maybe add some stability, with a jumper's knee, I'd suggest to do stability exercises for your lunge, .... don't be afraid to share details what you're doing and why.

If you're interested, this is one suggestion for a 20 minutes warm up routine. Feel free to ask any questions and drop me a pm of you prefer that!

After this, you go on court and do a badminton specific warmup. This could start with shadow badminton, but it will always involve hitting the shuttle and maybe only that.
    I suggest to start with drives and pushes, followed by drop shots, then clears, then smashing. Maybe include some net play as a break (and to get your feeling at the net, obviously) or including short serves to already get a game like situation.

I don't think you're alone with this problem. Actually I think that many people have similar problems, so if this doesn't help you, it might help somebody else.

ucantseeme likes this.
  5. Budi

Budi Regular Member

Thanks all for the respond.
    15-20 minute is total time till i start my games. Im not sure about the name but i think i do static stretching for maybe 5 minute or less (just stretch my arm, wrist, foot muscle like for example im sitting with my foot flat on the ground & i try to reach & touch my foot tip with my hand)
    then i do small running around the court few 2-3 laps. Then small jumping like doing skipping but without rope maybe 1-2 minute. After that i would start stroke exchange with my partner for 10-15 minute. Starting with few clear back to back line then switch to flat drive shot & last we will in turn feeding the shuttle for smash. Doing all this & i can play all day with better stamina, focus, & no dizzy at all.

For why im late, well my playing schedule is in morning day, so mostly i already had breakfast & my drive to the court takes around 40minute which mean break time between full stomace & high activity. & the reason i late is that im overslept. Not always but it happen... Lol.... :p

So basically what i notice, if i havent got some heart pump, adrenaline up, & few sweat then i play with alot of run, then i will exhaust fast & feel dizzy near the 1st game end. But if i rest for a while afterthat, my next game would be better.
    Or if my opponent is bellow me that i dont need to run alot, im doing fine on the game or the next game.

6. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    Did anybody of you get bullied for their serious warm-up? I can't start the first game without my 20 minutes routine (several ways to run, court footwork, hitting to start with pushs, fade into drives than clears, than drops, than smashs, than netting/return of serve and serving. Mostly I get 3 times asked to play because the grunting old farts ;) start clearing with a trashcan shuttle, before I enter the court and do my run routine. @Rob3rt

7. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

For me it depends. Let‘s put it this way: The better my warm-up partner is, the less warm-up I do off-court.

For example if I know that my partner is a good player, can play with good accuracy and knows the limits of a warm-up, I go straight to the court and do Drives, Drops, long-short-short, Smash and so on.

However, if my partner is of the chaotic type with no control whatsoever I do at least 5-10 minutes light jogging/sprinting. Because the chance of stretching, tearing something due to an unexpected weird shot is higher.

ucantseeme likes this.
  8. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

I always arrive 30 mins before the start of the session to avoid this. If I’m late for professional reasons I just kindly refuse games until I’m ready. But yes some people talk in the back, I just ignore it. The real fight is on court! :p:D

ucantseeme and hieu nguyen like this.