Badminton ASIA Championships 2019 (Wuhan, 23-28 April)

Discussion in '2019 Tournaments' started by CLELY, Apr 22, 2019.

1. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Shame on INA and MAS fans. And those who copied them :D

2. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

which match have horns? didnt watch today matches coz watching endgame.

I dont think China fans want Japan to win. just watched the last few points highlight of Minions vs Kamson, they are just willing minions to smash.

3. Sigurds

Sigurds Regular Member

Minions vs KamSon had horns towards the end especially whenever the Japanese served. Very distracting.

4. gelopisan

gelopisan Regular Member

Shame on them all of them, only when happened in China someone brought this up, its fine and the more the merrier in IO and MO :D

volcom and Justin L like this.
  5. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

I don't remember any horn sound during minions vs KamSon. But it was there in Wata/Endo vs Kang/Kim match.

twawawau likes this.
  6. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Oh, I always brought this up in all tournaments haha But I am surprised to find no horns in IM this year which is a good thing. Quite annoyed with both MM and MO though.

gelopisan likes this.
  7. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Not sure which CHN commentators are so biased according to him, not forgetting they are commentating for CCTV-5 meant mainly for Chinese audience. As far as I know, the Chinese commentators , esp those engaged to speak on CCTV are highly qualified and respected professionals, such as Gong Weijie, and sometimes such as for world class events like TUC, Sudirman Cups, WC, CHN Open, they would even invite former greats like Zhao Jianhua, Sun Jun, Wang Xin, Bao Chunlai, for example to guest star the event as co-commentators or main commentators.

As for the crowd, what can the organizer do if they favour the home players ? Isn't it the same everywhere ?

8. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

You are always so fair-minded, balanced, broad-minded and even enlightened in your outlook. Hats off to you.:)

9. Badofan

Badofan Regular Member

Are the Indonesia fans that biased though? I feel that they give credit where it's due, something that Chinese fans seem to have an issue with whenever a Japanese player wins.

trizzforce likes this.
  10. minions

minions Regular Member

China and Japan are not exactly friendly to each other. I can understand why Chinese don't like Japanese because of what Japan did in war era.

11. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

There are many CHN vs JPN final tomorrow so its not really the end, no point talking about it.

Of course, usually this happens in CHN just because CHN has more tournaments i guess.. I dont know how if its played in JPN as there is only 1JO.

12. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Well INA fans are quite biased when it concerns (against) Chinese or (toward) Korean players :D

Cheung likes this.
  13. Badofan

Badofan Regular Member

Ahh, I see. Maybe I wasn't paying enough attention to those matches. I've got to rewatch them again.

He was referring to the MD match between Endo/Watanabe and the Koreans though, neither side who are Chinese players. You can hear 韩国队,加油 in between the rallies.

I don't get why they have to drag politics into badminton.

14. kurako

kurako Regular Member

The current generation of badminton players should not be suffering for atrocities inflicted three generations ago, wouldn't you agree? Sport is intended to bring nations together, not drive them apart.

This is a fair point: Audiences will always support their own players, and will often have biases. However, when one nation hosts more top-level tournaments than others (China has four tournaments at the 500+ level), then their top players may have more opportunity to benefit from the warm encouragement of the home crowd, ... and other players may have more opportunity to be 'distracted'.

I realise that this is undoubtedly a funding issue, and more countries should offer to host these events. But still ...

15. terrynguyen121988

terrynguyen121988 Regular Member

About China and Japan, I think the situation will depend on where the location is. (depend on the province and the wealthy)

For example, last year, at World tour final, Chinese people in GuangDong tend support their home players but also enjoy the match if Japanese players have a good rally.

Wow, a province in China can be big like a nation in somewhere else

it's quite sad

He Binjiao/Chen Yufie/Shi Yuchi/Chen Long/... have a good attitude to Japanese players and vice versa, and I love the way they (audience) support their home players with "cha zo, cha zo". (sometimes it's noisy but it's ok to me)

But please don't use horn (Vuvuzela), it make the audience become ugly.

16. minions

minions Regular Member

Yes, I agree. The players have zero problem towards any players. But, you never know what the fans think. Not all of the fans are rational.

trizzforce and Griff88 like this.
  17. Badofan

Badofan Regular Member

I was wondering what cha zo meant, until I read that phrase. Are you referring to 加油?

18. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

FINAL (02.00pm) => https://www.tournamentsoftware.com/...A30699-7C75-40EE-BE6C-930BF23B8736&d=20190428

upload_2019-4-28_8-43-19.png

Host China and Japan reign Asian meet final stage to secure five and four spots respectively, leaving Indonesia with one representative. The prelude for upcoming Sudirman Cup where possibly these two badminton powerhouses will face off in grand final.

Huge shock surge in mixed doubles category, hot favourites Zheng SW/Huang YQ lost to young teammates He JT/Du Y, 14-21 / 18-21, later information revealed the World Champions aren't in good condition, bronze medal once again for YaSi combination. Defending champion Wang YL/Huang DP have bright prospect to extend their Asian crown, tackle the hardest stumbling block Thailand duo Puavaranukroh/Taerattanachai, 23-21 / 21-10. Thai pair seem out of control in second game after losing first set narrowly, 21-23.

A fourth time meeting for Chen QC/Jia YF against Matsumoto/Nagahara, the on-fire Chinese pair regain their confidence since clinched All England title in March, incidentally knocked out same opponent. Chen/Jia down Indonesians Haris/Pradipta, first victory of four encounters while MatsuNaga toppled world number one Fukushima/Hirota in close battle, 21-16 / 26-24. The last China pair bagged gold medal were Ma Jin Tang/Yuan Ting in 2015 edition, thereafter the Japanese topped BAC podium.

China has sternest test to secure BAC gold medal in singles category, will challenge Japanese favourites. Akane Yamaguchi spoiled Chinese party to last year beaten finalist Chen Yufei despite dropped opening game, 15-21. The resilient Yamaguchi came back stronger to frustrate her opponent, thanks particularly to superb retrieving skill and counter attack, Chen stamina waned in deciding game and often scored uncharacteristic errors. A very heavyweight task for He Bingjiao to fulfill home crowd expectation, 1-8 deficit in head to head statistics. The agility is still big problem for the left-hander to balance Yamaguchi excellent court coverage.

An ideal final showdown if the pattern goes to seeding position. Momota lost surprisingly in Guangzhou Finals, December 2018. Since then these two players never meet again. The world number one, All England and World Champion also defending champion here Momota outclass Nguyen Tien Minh judging by the scoreline, 21-18 / 21-8. Shi Yuqi did inspiring comeback after sluggish and terrible start, 4-12 then slowly he catched up and looked composed to take opening game 22-20. In second game, Chou Tien Chen still presents good fight intensely despite his fitness started to decline while Shi implements fast paced tempo with tight net shot then followed by hard smashes, the different style of play than usually relying on long rallies with tactical placement, the Chinese sealed it, 21-17.

The shaky Minions were little bit slower in first game, losing 15-21 to the energetic Kamura/Sonoda, then the Indonesians awake in second and third game to play their usual style with Kevin interception at the front area, 21-17 / 21-15. The Japanese number one pose the toughest opponent, had defeated Gideon/Sukamuljo five times previously. Another Japanese foe will be their final hurdle, Endo/Watanabe who survived in very thrilling match to beat Korean youngsters Kang MH/Kim WH, 21-17 / 20-22 / 27-25 in pulsating 83 minutes, what an entertaining match. Just worrying about an anticlimax last round duel, 2-0 stats for the world number one favour.

19. Griff88

Griff88 Regular Member

Well, badminton fans (or sport fans in general) can drag everything they wish before supporting someone. Especially when they are overly nationalistic, always brings up historical stuff or current political affairs. Even religion can also take part in "decision to support" :confused:

gelopisan likes this.
  20. GingerCorslette

GingerCorslette Regular Member

Happens in Indonesia, Malaysia and China as far as the matches I've watched throughout the years. Not dissing :D

Strangely enough, almost all players will confess that they block out these noises in-game. Some will even go further as use it to motivate themselves. When Boe taunted the INA crowd awhile back with the booty? Man, I loved that. It's just the spirit of the game. LMAO