Racket ends up hitting my non-racket leg when I do a scissor kick smash

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Hammad80, Apr 16, 2019.

1. Hammad80

Hammad80 New Member

Hi guys,
    Recently I have been trying to do improve my smash technique. When I do the scissor kick power smash with full body rotation, however, the technique feels awkward because my racket goes towards hitting my left leg. I have to try very hard for it to not hit it.
    Any advice on why this might be happening? I am unable to provide a video right now, but I can provide more details if needed.

buibui2 likes this.
  2. GingerCorslette

GingerCorslette Regular Member

When you hit your leg it mostly means you got more arm going on than wrist/forearm - the swing motion is wrong.
    Is this a jump smash?

Hammad80 likes this.
  3. Kento

Kento Regular Member

Check this YouTube video and see if it helps you:

Hammad80 likes this.
  4. DarkHiatus

DarkHiatus Regular Member

Do you always do it, or is it more common on the RTH corner? Do you hit your shin or your thigh?

I'll wait for further replies before answering why they're important, but a video would clearly be the most beneficial here, and I'd suggest uploading one even if you think our suggestions might be the cause.

5. Hammad80

Hammad80 New Member

Thanks for all the replies guys. I fixed the problem now. It seems like I wasn’t loading the rear leg much and I wasn’t rotating the body in sycn. @GingerCorslette Yes you are right. My follow through was quite bad as well.
    @Kento special thanks for that video. Very helpful!@DarkHiatus I was hitting my shin to be exact. Actually, it was much better RTH. Forehand side was the problem for some strange reason. If I continue with some problems then I’ll be sure to post the corresponding vids for proper advice.

6. DarkHiatus

DarkHiatus Regular Member

Hitting your shin can be a perfectly normal occurrence with perfect technique in certain situations. High level players do it occasionally. Thigh would have been a problem. This is why a video is so useful. Be very careful about deciding how you have fixed your problem, because you make have just created a bad habit resulting in bigger problems if you fix it in the wrong way.

Forehand corner scissor kick hitting shin is normally not getting far enough behind the shuttle, excessive follow through, too much arm Vs fingers/wrist. The solutions to not hitting the shin can be load the rear leg more, but this isn't going to solve any of these issues above, it's just going to allow you to potentially get away with bad technique. On your idea of rotating your body more, you might end up with a swing that is actually offset, and you start swinging out-to-in to avoid your shin. That will just lead to trouble with overslicing being common (I personally have this problem!)

Perhaps you're happy enough not to hit yourself, regardless of technique, in which case, problem solved :p

7. Kento

Kento Regular Member

I am glad that you have fixed the problem now.

8. Obito

Obito Regular Member

When you get to use the finger power, there will be no way that your racket would hit your leg since you tighten up the grip then the racket head will suddenly stop after you finish the stroke.

9. speCulatius

speCulatius Regular Member

As a [sarcasm] rule of thumb [/sarcasm]

10. steven8991

steven8991 Regular Member

is your racket okay after it hits your leg?