Lin Dan ( 林丹 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by seawell, Oct 29, 2004.

1. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

It's the 'in' sign in Tennis as well and Volleyball is very similar. It's often hard to understand someone in a noisy surrounding, that's why we often use hand gestures to clarify our meaning. I dont know what mental gymnastics you performed to come up with the idea of pointing to clarify that it was out. I've seen coaches indicate that a shuttle was in with the usual line judge gesture (if a bit more casual), and even we have done it at times when a team mate is unsure about a line call (we don't have line judges at all, btw, still use the hand sign).
    Anyway, while it's possible that the coach said sth else (maybe along the lines of 'you were there, play it' or whatever), I'm sure he did not call the shuttle out with that gesture. I'm also speculating that he told LD the shot was in, as coaches sometimes do when the player starts deluding themselves that their judgement was sound and that it's the officials fault.
    Whatever. He had a diva moment, we'll never know if the shot was in or out, let's move on. As long as he doesn't repeatedly pull that kinda stuff most will probably forget it happened, it wasn't that big a deal.

2. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

For tennis: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Official_(tennis)#Line_umpire
    The line umpire "calls all shots relating to the assigned lines."[5] Line umpires work on court as part of a team of between one and nine line umpires. Each line umpire is assigned to one line or, in the case of a short-handed crew, a position in a system. For example, a line umpire on the receiver's side may have to cover the center service line then, following the serve, move to one of the sidelines.

The line umpire signals a ball out by making a verbal "out" call ("fault" for a serve) followed by the extension of the arm shoulder high in the direction the ball was out. A ball is signalled "safe" or "good" by holding both hands together knee high in front of the body.[6] A line umpire who is unable to call a shot (usually because a player obstructs his/her view) signals this by holding his/her hands beside his/her head, the upper side pointing in the same direction as the eyes; that call is then the chair umpire's responsibility. Line umpires are also responsible for calling footfaults. When baseline umpires are being used, they watch to see if the server touches any part of the baseline before the ball is struck. Center service line umpires are responsible for calling footfaults when the server steps over the imaginary extension of the centerline. Footfault calls are made with a verbal "Footfault" call followed by a vertical extension of the arm with the palm open.

For volleyball : http://www.fivb.org/EN/Refereeing-Rules/Documents/FIVB_Volleyball_Hand_Signal_Poster_2015-2016.pdf
    Relevant Rule: 8.3 Point the arm and fingers toward the floor - but this is for the REFEREES’ OFFICIAL HAND SIGNALS
    For the LINE JUDGES’ OFFICIAL FLAG SIGNALS - Ball "in" is indicated by Relevant Rule: 8.3, 27.2.1.1 Point down with flag

For Badminton Linejudge Hand Signals: http://www.tavyside.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Line-Judge-Calls.pdf (the pictures are very clear)
    If the shuttlecock lands on or inside the line, no announcement is needed and the line judge will point their right hand at the line whilst looking at the Umpire for an acknowledgement.. The umpire will acknowledge the signal.

If the shuttlecock lands outside the line the line judge must loudly and quickly shout “Out” so that both players and spectators hear, and stretch their arms out to the side level with each other while looking at the umpire to ensure the umpire is clear about the decision. The umpire will acknowledge the signal.

3. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Will LD play in Australia Open I wonder?

LD is going to play in New Zealand Open, he is the defending Champion
    He will play a NZL player R1 and either Sai Praneeth or Subhankar Dey. Then he might face Ginting in QF. Sounds exciting if all went according to seeds.

Maybe I should consider flying to NZ :eek: So tempting though.. haha. What if he withdrew again?
    There aren't many top MD or XD seeds..

4. Neel Dhebar

Neel Dhebar Regular Member

Ah
    I have been waiting for him to avenge his defeat to Shubhankar. Let's hope he can defend his title.

5. Sports10

Sports10 Regular Member

Winning is not always the barometer of getting better” - T. Woods - is what the legend said - therefore just becuse lin dans not no 1 world doesnt mean he wont be

6. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

He never will be again

7. Neel Dhebar

Be careful making statements like that, especially when you are talking about the best player ever.

I am curious though, it seems as if you hate LD with a passion. You seem to be very active on this thread and do not hesitate to reply with a criticism of LD or state that he has no chance of winning the tournament being discussed. What is it that makes you have no faith in his abilities and why do you dislike him so much?

8. GingerCorslette

GingerCorslette Regular Member

Ranking-wise, he most likely will never be #1 again. Momota, current #1, has over 100k ranking points... can you visualise what LD must accomplish to surpass that?

But if you're talking about being GOAT, then still, he is IMO

#11828 GingerCorslette, Apr 16, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
    utufop likes this.
  9. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

His goal was not always to be number 1 during his career anyway, even at his prime. Instead he focused on the big events. I don't think it even crossed his mind to get back at the top of the ranking and he won't in my opinion, you need to be consistent to become number 1.

He already said it in his most recent interviews, he just want to go to Tokyo 2020 and in the process extend his playing career longer while adding some trophies along the way and he is just doing that. It's hard to say for the Olympics but well he recently proved (if he ever had to prove anyone wrong) he has the right to give it a shot!

10. utufop

utufop Regular Member

Agreed.. no.1 ranking never seemed to be the target and he has proven that he can come up big in the important events. However the three way tie between LD, CL and SYQ is pretty fierce for the 2 slots for the Olympics. In light of that he actually has to try to get as close to world no.1 since SYQ is no.2 and CL is no.4 (as of now) rather then just show up big in certain events to earn himself one of probably 2 slots China will have for Men's Singles.

LenaicM likes this.
  11. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

I don't dislike him at all. I strongly dislike delusional Fandom, which is especially prevalent here. Also some of these discussions are kinda hard to get away from :D
    See it more as a.....tempering of expectations ;)
    The thing with the #1 ranking is, you need 10 tournaments where you performed decent at (I think an average of reaching the SF isn't even enough usually) - that's not at all what LD is about these days. I find it unlikely that he'll win another of the big 3 tournaments, but won't go as far as saying he'll never do it again - but he'll never again play that actively for an entire year _and_ perform well in them (see the SO...).
    The debate about his match quitting, well, I hate behavior like that. It's unsportsmanlike imop, and while I'll not hold it against a young and temperamental player, but he's too old and experienced to behave like that. It's not about him personally. And as I said, I dislike strongly irrational behavior, which some of the reactions here qualified for imop.

Anyway, just to reassure you, I really admire LD as a player and what he's been able to achieve and simply what he could do on court. I simply don't seem to like him as a person, as far as one can judge that without ever interacting with the guy personally.

buibui2, Saru and mohans like this.
  12. utufop

utufop Regular Member

Everyone has their own objective opinions and we should all respect that. Similar case for Kevin Sanjaya Sukamoljo.. There are bound to be haters of his antics on court but yet fans of his for the same reason.. it's weird but not all will share the same view. Speaking of which it seems like Kevin has toned down on his on court antics..he isn't as "high" and active on court anymore... not sure if that has affected his gameplay resulting in poorer performances recently? Anyway that's for his own thread. Cheers:D

13. Saru

Saru New Member

IMO, haters is the wrong word, Critics is better. Hater would imply that people just don't like him for no reason at all. Sometimes he can be just unsportsmanlike and respectless to his opponents.

14. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

I guess there's both....both people who dislike a specific type of behavior and those who just hate everyone who's successful :D

Saru likes this.
  15. Neel Dhebar

Good points there. I don't think LD will reach no. 1 but I don't think it matters. He has always been my favorite and I am a big fan but I do have a clear idea of what he is capable of. I have been disappointed time and again for the past two years but the MO Open win gave me new confidence in him and if he can replicate that form in 16 months (qualifying is another hurdle) he is very much capable of winning the coveted title. I have heard that his poor performances have been a result of his lack of motivation and hard work as of recent and I hope that is true because it means he has room for improvement at this age.

Our opinions do differ on whether his actions were right or wrong and whether or not he is a bad person. Neither of us has met him just yet so each to their own I guess.

buibui2 and Justin L like this.
  16. Neel Dhebar

We will get to see LD against CTC once again! Let's hope he can win another title!

17. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

I'd rather he win New Zealand title next week though

18. GingerCorslette

GingerCorslette Regular Member

Against CTC:
    Lin Dan playing like he got a flight to catch? LMAO

buibui2 likes this.
  19. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

7000 pts and court tv from Day 1 are waiting for him lol

Hopefully he can defend his title in NZ next week.

GingerCorslette likes this.
  20. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Just business as usual again