Lin Dan ( 林丹 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by seawell, Oct 29, 2004.

1. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

I resent you calling me old :D
    But I guess people who like Fortnite will also actually like this type of stuff, and flock to KSS as well :D not sure if they even know who LD is. He came up when they weren't yet born, after all :D

2. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Well you have to see the reality mate:D:D:D I'm not young myself either, but what can I do with that?

Who is Fortnite?
    People know about LD more than you think haha. With social media and youtube, not that hard for them to find out who LD is.
    Well I love Kevin and his attitude. It's time for the sport to have more "expressive" players to spice things up. I didn't like it at first either, but we can only defy it or go with it. I decided to go with just a little bit of it:D I am still old and conservative, but I can be flexible for some exceptions.:p

3. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Me irrational or you confused and seemingly unforgiving towards Lin Dan over such a minor incident just because some disgruntled SG spectators in the stadium kicked up a fuss about it ?

Apparently, Lin Dan's , to you, impossible-on-paper sensational triumph at the MAS Open last week is eating you. Relax,Lin Dan is not the first 35-year-old to achieve that age-defying, mind-boggling feat - Lee Chong Wei achieve it last year at the same tournament and I was just as astonished and over the moon. So, no need to be in disbelief and agonize over it, simply comes to terms with it and move on.

It matters not very much to me even if from now on Lin Dan goes back to his "one-round Lin" days and that MAS Open marvel turns out to be his swan song masterpiece. So what ? Nothing is going to change the fact that he is The GOAT until somebody in the (distant) future outperforms him.

As to what I wrote in my post, I was merely depicting what was shown on the video provided by the responder (thanks to him) where Lin Dan appeared first visibly unhappy with the linecall (the third of three dubious linecalls as we understood it) that was described by a Chinese reporter as the last straw that broke the camel's back, thereupon he seeing there's no umpire overrule or IRS challenge to seek redress or turn to for recourse, then walked over to the umpire to indicate he's retiring the match on grounds of injury by pointing to his leg, shook the umpire's hand, extended the same to Viktor and the service judge before walking off; thus ended the entire incident. That's all.

So, what are you talking about me moving the goalpost again ? I'm baffled. Never mind.

You better hope your wish for Lin Dan comes true so that your (badminton) life can return to normalcy and all's well for you again. Meanwhile, I've been having my share of rejoicing these few days whilst yours, it seems, has been one of agony, all thanks to Lin Dan. Cheers, and take care. All the best ! (Nothing personal , have fun). :p:D:)

4. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

I disliked his attitude on the moment too - and still do - finding it unprofessional as it concerned me regarding the image LD would give to the sport by leaving the court for a wrong line call like a child would. But to be honest and after a bit of research many players in the past did worst in term of quitting a match in the middle or at the very beginning of a match for various reasons.

My take after a few days the incident happened? He disliked the wrong line calls and felt he could have had a chance with the hawkeye system but the game was going towards VA anyway so LD decided to quit to make a silent statement to the BWF and the organisers while preserving himself for the next tournament, his body being the one of a 35-year old. If we were in LD's shoes we might have done something similar or not but it doesn't matter anymore he did it. Also the match was not live on TV so only fans of the sport are aware of the incident and may be understand him, the official version available for the media being him retiring for a leg injury. Moving on :)

5. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Hey, Lin Dan is 35 years old already, man. Cut him some slack even if you don't respect or admire his quixotic efforts to defy all odds and the ravages of age to persist in plodding on despite repeated setbacks, sneers, name-calling (one-round Lin), suffering one humiliating defeat after another, pathetic results that call into question his abilities, and even self-doubt creeping in - yet, he has to carry on his daily grind of regimented training, leaving his family of wife and three-year-old baby for weeks now and then to actively participate in challenging competitions the world over, fighting hard and risking injury day in and day out, and so on and so forth.

All for what ? Mind you, firstly, he has accomplished everything there is on offer in his beloved sport and career, winning all the most-coveted titles at least twice over, far beyond what any professional badminton athlete can dream of in a lifetime, earning him much fame and fortune, feted as a top celebrity in the badminton fraternity wherever he goes; secondly, he is the first badminton superstar to be awarded a record-breaking multi-million dollar 10-year (until 2024) contract with Yonex, that plus many other endorsements and sponsorship contracts , so much so I believe he is made for life.

Therefore, what could be driving him as he approaches middle-age, what are his new and higher goals in badminton, the meaning and purpose in life that he is seeking, his future plans ? I'd rather let him answer such questions himself , from the bottom of his heart one day when he feels like pouring it out. And, I think, in the future, years after his retirement, he might write the extension to his autobiography and reminisce about these few years and we will then get a clearer picture of what he is going through now and why.

Nine Tailed Fox likes this.
  6. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

You earn my respect, voicing an honest, fair, balanced, sensible and empathetic view.

I wonder how many spectators were there watching that Lin Dan match not shown anywhere on TV or livestream on Court 4? A couple thousand, five , 10 thousand ? How many of those who do are that pissed off and harshly critical of his sudden match retirement, presumably over some dubious linecalls that riled him in the absence of Hawk-Eye IRS and then his decision to concede the match citing injury as the reason? How many are anti-LD fans ?

I mean, compared with the many millions out there,including his legions of fans, who do you think are even more disappointed for not being able to watch the match , whatever the outcome ? Mind you, it's Lin Dan versus Viktor Axelsen, you know.

But, more importantly, Lin Dan is already in the tail-end of his career and aged 35 , he must take extra precautions not to overstretch himself, esp when he had just completed a full five-round tournament, as such playing a back-to-back tournament is expected to be considerably more physically demanding on him than for any of his much younger opponents. That's why he has to plan his every move carefully and take it one match at a time. And, to make matters worse, having bad linecalls against him in the absence of Hawk-Eye IRS only exacerbates the problem for him, further stressing him up.

(Didn't Viktor Axelsen not long ago, after failing to win a particular tournament, decided to withdraw from the next one or two citing some injury as grounds for it? At that time, I remember some of us expressed doubts about it, no ?)

No doubt, Lin Dan as a superstar also has responsibilities to his fans and all those paying spectators who come and watch him play, live. But, doesn't Lin Dan as a professional athlete have his rights too, to take care of his well-being, to set his priorities for maximum results, to strive for his long-term career goals without taking undue risks, and suchlike.

For sure, the last thing he wants, or anybody for that matter, is to sustain a debilitating injury that abruptly ends his career and put paid to his avowed aim of going for another Olympics, the last and final goal before he hangs up his racquet for good ?

Indeed, it will defeat the purpose for him to win the battle, but lose the war. He simply can't afford it as both age and time are not on his side. So please kindly bear with the old warrior.

LenaicM likes this.
  7. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

8. visor

visor Regular Member

I see he's soaking his cramped calf muscle...

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Simeon likes this.
  9. DishuThomas

DishuThomas New Member

IT
    I see lots of BS among the comments like " LD's income is based on appealing to fans, if he can't please them, he has nothing".
    Fans are there to see him because of a reason - the way LD plays, his mastery and what he achieved over the years ~ GOAT , not the other way around. He wouldn't be on court at this age just to make money, it's for his love for badminton and his confidence in his ability that he can complete at the highest level even at this age. If it was just for money, with what he has achieved so far he had many other ways to cash in and call it a day.

And about LD retiring from the Singapore Open, I would say it could be a combination of both - Injury and bad line calls. Not sure how many of you noticed, LD had some heavy strapping on his left leg thigh during the MO open. LD pointed to the same place to the umpire as reason for retiring. I couldn't make out from the video if he still had strapping on his thighs while playing VA in Singapore, if anybody knows pls comment. It's could be just a case where LD was just being cautious about aggravating an injury when things were anyways not going his way.

We all know pretty well from watching LD over the years that he would't throw the towel in just because of few bad line calls or even for that matter being 13-19 down in the first game. We witnessed how the MO finals went after he went down 21-9 in the first game.

Of course the timing of the retirement sparked the controversy but may be the injury was on back of his mind all along and bad the line call at 13-19 was the last straw. The spectators have reason to be disappointed but most of us would take as part of these athletes playing grueling international badminton back to back. No big deal and move on...

Justin L likes this.
  10. GingerCorslette

GingerCorslette Regular Member

11. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    Hahaha...The carrot is ticked:pand the ass does not understand strategy:D

lostLore likes this.
  12. esppy

esppy Regular Member

Stupid umpire.

[​IMG]

kwun, lostLore, yuquall and 6 others like this.
  13. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Hilarious!

14. WhitePants

WhitePants Regular Member

New video angle shows even Lin Dan's OWN coach tells him it's IN. Should this rule out the supposed "bad line judging" many people are complaining about? Come on give the line judges and umpires a break and not just protect the superstar. Everyone plays a part in making the tournament a success and in this case the superstar failed his job imho. No hate on anyone:):)

15. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

No one is blaming the line judge or umpire though. But we're not blaming LD either.
    We have some other scapegoat. :p

16. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

How do you know the coach's gesture - pointing his finger at it - indicated in and not saying, 'that should be out' ?

Yes, we appreciate everybody playing their part for making the tournament a success notwithstanding the linejudging issue in the absence of Hawk-Eye IRS (how can we ever do without it now) but, please also spare a thought for Lin Dan for what he's going through as an 'aged' player who still has the courage, determination and willingness to continue making sacrifices for the sake of further contributing to the sport despite all the odds.

I feel the matter has been blown out of proportion. It's time we moved on.:):D

LenaicM likes this.
  17. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

That's quiiiite a stretch. Why would he ever choose to gesture in such a manner that is easily confused with the universal 'in' sign? There's no doubt in my mind that he indicated the shuttle was in - coaches, especially LD's, to it all the time when their player turns to them in such situations ("I cant believe I was too lazy to hit that, care to join me in blaming the linesman/agree it looked out?" - at least that's what I do when I drop a shuttle that was in ;))

utufop likes this.
  18. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

The coach is not a linejudge, he could be pointing to the shuttle and said, that was out. Or, do you expect him to stand up, face the shuttle on the ground without pointing at it and spread his arms wide to indicate it was out ? Is it not normal for us to refer to something (an object) we are talking about by pointing our finger at it and express what we want to say verbally ?

Only in badminton during linejudging duty that you use pointing-the hand gesture as 'in' and arms outspread as 'out'. That gesture is not a universal 'in' sign outside of badminton (which other sport has it?).

The Chinese article that reported on Lin Dan's match, briefly mentioned his unhappiness with the linejudge's call and added it's not the only disputed linecall but the final one whereupon Lin Dan decided to quit the match citing injury - the writer said nothing about Lin Dan's coach or do you supposed he intentionally cover up his disagreement with Lin Dan's call (isn't it newsworthy when the coach and Lin Dan didn't see eye to eye) ? Your assumption is just as good as anybody else's.

What about the video posted by Nine Tailed Fox from a spectator's handphone camera where the picture taker said it's 'clearly out' and shouted 'Lin Dan, I support you' ? In other words, we are not too sure who's right or wrong, except that Lin Dan is closest to the scene and unless it's borderline, we are justified in giving him the benefit of the doubt, esp when it's " the last straw that broke the camel's back ". Blame the absence of Hawk-Eye IRS.

#11818 Justin L, Apr 14, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
  19. utufop

utufop Regular Member

Ok I can tell you're a diehard Lin Dan fan and I respect that. Just want to comment that that's no finger pointing but rather an arm gesture which in the case of badminton signifies in.. don't really see a point in this endless discussion anymore. Let's move on and hope none of these on court shenanigans happens again.;)

20. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Kindly take my argument on its merits or demerits and not whether I am a die-hard Lin Dan fan or not. That is , address the points, not the person.:)

OK, sorry,I mean pointing the hand (to the line) to show that the shuttle has fallen in and extending both hands horizontally to the sides of the body to indicate it is out.