I have lazy footwork help!

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by oab729, Aug 3, 2005.

1. oab729

oab729 Regular Member

Overall i am just a lazy player i guess. During a game i find myself giving my opponent free points because i'm too tired to go for shots, also my footwork looks verys lazy. When i move, i move really really slow. I've done badminton conditioning during school for a long time, and i run cross country. I have a video of me playing but i don't know how to convert it. If anyone can help me, that would be good. Thanks

2. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Regular Member

Student
    the best way to change laziness is to change your mentality. give it all u got every game. and running cross country is bad for badminton.

3. Eurasian =--(O)

Eurasian =--(O) Regular Member

do some plyos. do some wieghts badminton is a mix of endurance and explosion / sprinting. Do too much of one and the other suffers.....

4. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    hum personally i would not say that cross country is bad for badminton. If your getting tired then you really have to increase your stamina. as for your "lazy" footwork well you should do some shadow training. get a a good player who has good footwork to help you out, i had to do that back at a camp i went to. hum well you have to know the basics as when your going to the net always lunge with your racquet foot...and when your going to the back of the court make sure that your racquet foot is at the back also how to move around the court and stuff you know shuffle around, etc. I think there is a video about that kind of stuff in the media section its called footwork or something like that i say take a look at that, might help. as for being a "lazy player" you have to break that habit it wont do you any good, i know a few people like that and well its not a good thing.

5. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Occasionally I find myself in a lazy state of mind. To 'wake up' in a game, I hop a little bit to get the blood flowing and psyche myself to move faster. Not take the shuttle earlier or stay more alert... just move faster. Keeping the task mentally simple could actually make them happen easier.

Another thing that will help your movement around the court is to keep to a low profile during rallies. Stay lower at all time (bent knees and on your toes) with your racquet up front and only stand when the point is played. This will energize your feet into moving as you have to move otherwise you'll fall on your face:D. Basically in this manner, you 'fall' towards the shuttle to retrieve a drop or push back to retrieve a high shot. Your jump will be much more higher than if you jump from standing start.

Moving about the court in this way is a workout on its own:). The first few games will be exhausting, but your body will soon get used to it. When you do it regularly, you'll move faster, defend better and get stronger legs in the process.

#5 cappy75, Aug 4, 2005
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2005
  6. oab729

oab729 Regular Member

thanks, i think the low profile and on your toes helps alot. My back footwork is just slow, but i still get the birdy, i rewatched the video and noticed only my back footwork was slow, and my movement forward was delayed. But keeping on my toes helps alot, and it is really mental. As for my back footwork being slow, i figured out its because i shadow the birdy, because if i try to get there really fast, i end up too behind the birdy. I think thats the reason why, but i'm not sure. BUt i notice i dont' give up as much anymore and i don't suddenly jsut stop and freeze up on net drops. Thanks

7. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Good stuff, Oab729! Just keep it up and you'll get used to it in time:). If you back up too far, don't slack off, step into the shot.