Reverse sliced straight drop shot is so beyond me!

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by GingerCorslette, Apr 2, 2019.

1. GingerCorslette

GingerCorslette Regular Member

I was always told by better players to cut the shuttle for best results, because if you cut it slow then the trajectory isn't as steep and it travels slower. I have two reference videos:

LXR's winning shot in this rally.
    Lin Dan's in this one.

So I think what I went for was to start practising LXR's swinging motion. About 7 times out of ten, my shot would drop anywhere other than the front of the court straight to me, or I would completely mishit the shuttle, sometimes even hitting the frame! Because in slow motion, she cuts with a swipe.

Then I saw the second one. I know they're different because LD's action looked slower, but the swing was too dishonest as hell it almost seemed like he could be hitting it anywhere. Plus the shot seemed to travel the same speed and slowed down as it got to the other side (look where it landed). I could probably pull this off more often than LXR's, but it's either luck or the shot travels slow, and then I have thoughts to do the normal drop shot instead because I'd make few errors there.

Any pointers on how to get the jist out of this?

Rob3rt likes this.
  2. DarkHiatus

DarkHiatus Regular Member

On a few viewings, I feel like LXRs version involves a lot more arm speed, and she uses the fingers to maintain the speed on her racquet head leading to what your describe as a ''fast" slice.

On LDs version, his arm still moves quick initially (elbow rising), but he seems to hold the final grip tightening/racquet head speeding up to the last moment, where the slice that is delivered with his fingers is of a medium speed, leading to the "slower" look.

I think both versions are equally difficult - LXRs because you need impeccable timing with the fast movement throughout but at least the whole motion is at one speed (fast), and LDs because you need to time the slower grip tightening perfectly against the fast arm movement - it's not a constant speed motion.

I think LDs method only works if you can convince your opponent that you can deliver a threatening smash whilst holding the finger power, which requires reeeeally good timing, and some really strong fingers. Otherwise, either the initial arm movement will look too slow for a threatening smash (and they will encroach on the net), or you'll lose the accuracy/consistency of the slicing motion by trying to hold the racquet head movement too long. That hold is how LD gets that look that he can play any stroke (because generally, he can!)

GingerCorslette likes this.
  3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Chinese are the master at that shot. I once rallied with former WC Zhou Lei and I would find myself at the opposite side of the court than where the shuttle landed.

GingerCorslette likes this.
  4. GingerCorslette

GingerCorslette Regular Member

I'm trying to break it down:

Suggested shot:
    Li Xuerui - Straight clear or smash. The power and speed is the tell; the reverse is shown longer.
    Lin Dan - Cross drop or clear. The followthrough is the tell; the reverse is shown in a split-second.

Actual shot:
    Both - straight drop

So I think, the shot to be executed depends on what you've made to believe the opponent anticipates from you in that situation. However:

Problems when I try it:
    LXR - Hard for me to swing that fast all throughout the motion and place the shot accurately.
    LD - My swing slows down when slicing.

I got a long way to go :D

DarkHiatus likes this.
  5. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    My favourite is the one Gopichand uses to finish the rally starting at 7:44 in this video:

I have also seen a wicked straight reverse slice smash by Bao Chunlai many years ago.

In my view you need to first really start to understand the cross court reverse slice dropshot: how to hit fast, how to hit slow, how to hit with more slice or with less slice.

You then have two options for hitting the straight reverse slice: with a fast racket action that travels diagonally forwards, brushing right to left AND also over the top of the shuttle - this is performed simply by pronating earlier so that the racket is angled as you strike the shuttle. Or with a very fast racket action from right to left only, usually improved by changing grip towards panhandle during the stroke, and literally hitting with a brushing motion like a windscreen wiper: this gives maximum spin and the shuttle will travel mainly flat before then rapidly descending but it really doesn't look like any other shot. It works because it is highly unusual, and must be accomplished with exceptional shot quality.

The only real difference between them is the amount of spin. More spin is easier from a slightly lower contact like Lin Dan and requires a different hitting action (mainly brushing left to right), whereas a faster racket like Gopichand or LXR where you also increase the deception using body motion is easiest done when hitting down steeply and involves a very normal swing but with early pronation.

But you should learn to play it cross court first because it makes so much more sense. Learn to play fast with almost no spin, slow with not much spin, and fast with spin and slow with spin. Once you understand this well, you can really start aiming the shot, then it's not so difficult to start playing them straight from forehand corner by angling the body cross court and hitting straight (same action as producing the cross court slice), and if you practice a lot you will understand the spin well enough to play the shot like Lin Dan. I wouldn't say one is better or worse - if you over-use them they become pointless and ineffective. Use it well and you can win a lot of points.