How to become county player in uk

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Sports10, Mar 21, 2019.

1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Only if you don’t show any improvement.

Sports10 and DarkHiatus like this.
  2. DarkHiatus

DarkHiatus Regular Member

What is more likely if you do badly this year, is that next year they will see how much you have improved, which will show them how much potential you have.

Given your own aimsaof improving drastically within thetnext 1.5 years, it is highly unlikely (but not impossible) that your first showing this year would lead to you being selected for the county team after all!

Sports10 likes this.
  3. Sports10

Sports10 Regular Member

Thanks for the hope my friend - yes i will try and over summer i aim to do badminton for 40 hours a week and i will have 10 weeks off so 400 hours of badminton and sports related activities eg :swimming , cycling,gym and ddo u think yoga may be good for flexibility -and of course ill be playing in my club- just wondering in ur clubs is there a summer camp of some sort ?

#43 Sports10, Mar 31, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
    DarkHiatus likes this.
  4. Sports10

Sports10 Regular Member

LOL - funny guy !!! - if i beat a 30yr old blake should be a piece of cake right!

5. Sports10

Sports10 Regular Member

You talk about how uk athletes are lazy but remember this the only reason i believe its worth it starting as ive played this game since i was 10 and my love has increased exponentially - when a game becomes ingrained inside of u and u cant think of anything else eg:in school in im often doodling a badminton court in my book and in my mind im imagining me performing backhand smashes etc... what im saying is that the reason i feel its worth starting as its my dream occupation (like many people - but not many in uk) and secondly because i think im good enough and posses plenty of natural talent.Also in school and everywhere i go im an outsider so i dont think im a product of this trait of being lazy a i am generally hyperactive and cant sit still for longer than 5 seconds A MAJOR PROBLEM IN SCHOOL -but an advantage in badminton as the only thing that held me back was my parent but now ive explained my goal of being an athlete and they are all for it.

You talk about education - im an Asian so i have to get good grades but its not as if it adds value to my life - for me badminton isn't even about the money as i know money isnt amazing in uk but its just me in love with the game and i think having a career would be the coolest thing ever (plz note i almost cried whilst writing this)-What scares me is ill be 60 and i never went for my dream - id rather fail but know i tried then ignore the chance of making a badminton career

6. amleto

amleto Regular Member

[​IMG]

Sports10 likes this.
  7. Sports10

Sports10 Regular Member

No but if u look at my previous last message thats the serious message of why i wanna go pro

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Understood.

Just have a plan B if the badminton doesn’t work out.

Sports10 and speCulatius like this.
  9. Ouchie

Ouchie Regular Member

Playing that much will require some extra physical rehab and preparation such as sports massage. This is for injury prevention and recovery from the strain caused by the long sessions or you will end up on a physio table trying to fix something.

Trust me. Prevention is not only better than cure, it is also cheaper, less painful and less inhibiting.

Sports10 and LenaicM like this.
  10. gerry

gerry Regular Member

As has been said previously enter tourneys, the more you are seen the better chances you have, .when I was the coach at county junior level I watched tourneys to find any young good prospects, also other coaches would tell me that they have a player worth looking at. If you play in adult leagues and have some ability you will be noticed. Ask your coach to contact the county to visit and play with the squad, they are always helpful as good players are always needed.

Sports10 likes this.
  11. Sports10

Sports10 Regular Member

i doubt i wold need physio if i look after my body by eating well train hard but not too hard only prosneed it which is what i will be not am eg :vicktr axelsen needs it

12. Sports10

Sports10 Regular Member

yeh plan b is the boring degree - regardless if i dont make it pro id stll ply countty leauges etc... as i just feel like badminton is in my dna

13. Ouchie

Ouchie Regular Member

I reserve the right to say "I told you so" :D

Think like a pro, act like a pro, become a pro.

Sports10, visor, kwun and 1 other person like this.
  14. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    we all think we are invincible when we are young... :D

Sports10, It'sMeMeMe and DarkHiatus like this.
  15. Sports10

Sports10 Regular Member

so true!!! - i do feel invincible

16. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

I'm sure there is room to compromise and do both education and sports. I don't know about UK but in France (and it's what I do) you can get a bachelor degree or a master through a university proposing an off-school program. You just pass the same exams and on the same day than regular students do but you study on your own. it would allow you to focus on Badminton without compromising your education.

Sports10 likes this.
  17. Sports10

Sports10 Regular Member

not true - i would want to train and play full - time i dont plan to go uni and unis a back up plan- my grades are good enough to go for a top uni but my passion lies in badminton - by time im 18, ill decide if i can make badminton pro if not the boring degree will always be there for me

18. Sports10

Sports10 Regular Member

ill get a degree after my badmnton career even if i want to

19. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

Ok... I'm not sure what is "not true" but I'll just add that you can't possibly spend 168 hours a week or 24 hours a day on court or at the gym. Tai Tzu Ying did pass her bachelor and master while playing pro. Why not you?

May I add that quality is greater than quantity when it comes to court time. You can't possibly spend all day on court which will leave room for other activities. Also don't injure yourself by over training.

Doing an other activity would also help balance your life as focusing only on one thing a hundred percent of your time is a risk of loosing focus, passion and dedication to one's goal.

You're passionate, ambitious and motivated that's awesome and I wish you to succeed in your dreams but I'm a bit concerned of your radical approach towards it. You're 16 and you say you'll decide if you can become pro by 18 or in 2 years only?

I'm sure you can become a great player by consecrating a major part of your time to badminton but may be you will reach a pro level at 25? That would sucks if you already gave up at 18. A constant effort will be better rewarded than a short term one and a constant effort demands balance to be achieved. But ok I know what is it to be 16 and how we feel about others' advices :p;). Won't insist hehe

20. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    still waiting to see some videos. that will give us an idea.