Stringing breaks in couple of shots

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by Vino, Mar 21, 2019.

1. Vino

Vino New Member

Hi,
    I am new to this forum.. I have been playing badminton for the past 5 years and last year I purchased a vintage stringing machine Alpha ultraedge-I and started stringing for a while.WIthout prior experience in stringing I got some tips from the nearest racket center on Tennis rackets.. they apply even tension on the mains and the cross strings.. and I was doing the same for couple of months and came to know that for badminton it has to be always 2 pounds lesser on the mains.
    So i was doin this way with 2knots method. since it was economic.I have strung more than 100 rackets so far but didnt get into more problems..
    In the recent days.. my racket and my collegues racket lasts long only for few hours since we both hit more smashes.. both the rackets string got broken on the mains approx 6th n 7th gourmets..
    Any advices is highly appreciable..

2. thyrif

thyrif Regular Member

Those grommets on the 'corners' often get worn or damaged, have you checked the condition of the grommets? Checking / replacing those regularly may help.

ucantseeme and s_mair like this.
  3. MikaelK

MikaelK Regular Member

IT Network engineer
    Hi Vino.

I assume the break is happening in top?
    Where do you tie your knot after the last cross?
    Maybe you have started to, without knowing, to pull a bit more while tightening the finishing knot, so you are actually tearing the main-string you are tying on...

If possible, please add a picture of the break on next occasion... Pictures tells more than 1000 words ;)

4. KWSKJP

KWSKJP Regular Member

It shud b the knot is both rackets snap at the same place especially if ur tie off is there and using a parnell knot by excessive pulling in a 180 degree semi circle to further tighten the 2nd loop as that can easily bruise off the multi filament coating.

5. Vino

Vino New Member

I have higghlighted the knots with (x) and the string break area with ( )

Attached Files:

6. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

The string has snapped perfectly somewhere close to the grommets. My advice (along with @thyrif): Change all the single hole grommets at the top of the frame. Even if they look fine from the outside, they can be split somewhere on the inside and causing the breakage.

speCulatius and thyrif like this.
  7. Vino

Vino New Member

Does this happens even to the new racket.. It was in the same fashion occurred on my brand new Babolat X-feel sattelite essential :-(

8. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

It's not very likely, but I still wouldn't rule out the option. Not sure about the general grommet quality on Babolat rackets, but I've seen really bad quality grommets on a number of other rackets as well. All it takes is a tiny burr from the mold in an area that has contact with the string and that would be it. You will only find out by changing the grommets and see what happens next.

The other option would be that both of you managed to hit a precisely identical mishit at which the shuttle hit and cut the string at the exact transistion area between the two grommets. But that sounds even less likely.

9. Rimano

Rimano Regular Member

Am I'm seeing the shadow of the broken right string, because it looks like two strings?

Anyway, s_mair was quicker than me. The string lengths are roughly equal, which implies the impact was at the grommets. Any hit around the grommets and you're basically playing a lottery with the strings. Plus that last racket has a low cross, which exposes the tops of the mains. Another potential area for early string breakage.

thyrif likes this.
  10. robfitsy

robfitsy Regular Member

There is a large gap at the top, it looks like it could take an additional cross before tying. Mishitting in this area is guaranteed a broken string.

speCulatius likes this.
  11. Vino

Vino New Member

I recently got some feedback from an experienced stringing guy.. He adviced with these suggestions
    Ex: 19/21 lbs
    He told to have 19 on the 8 main strings(4 each side from the middle) and lower by 2 pounds(17) to the next 3 mains either side and again by 1 pounds to the remaining mains .. and repeat the same for the cross ..
    He also said that the middle region should be with the right tension and the adjacent areas where the curvature begins should be lesser pounds..
    Does any of you tried with this approach..!?

12. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Just do a search for "proportional stringing", you'll find a lot of posts concerning that topic. However, this will not help you in any way with you current issue I'm afraid. And I fully agree with @robfitsy and @Rimano that the low top cross string is an additional factor that provokes it. In fact, a bad mishit really close to the frame at that area will be maximum stress for the string - with or without a bad grommet. However, I would still invest those couple of cents and change the grommets too. Better be safe than sorry.

thyrif likes this.
  13. Vino

Vino New Member

I understand... I shall try to add additiona cross string to see If i can solve this problem :)

14. Vino

Vino New Member

I will try to play with grommets and see then :)

15. MrTraitor

MrTraitor Regular Member

Sorry to say this but you are missing one cross at the top. This is the old style 22x22 pattern not 22x21

s_mair likes this.
  16. Vino

Vino New Member

And so.. spending the time over the weekend investigating the possible causes and found the culprit inside the machine.. I recently bought this vintage machine from the tennis club.. and didnt calibrated to see the tension..
    It gives me a 4 pound increased tension above the set value.. since its a old machine.. i tried to cheat it to get the right tension.. :)

Attached Files:

s_mair likes this.
  17. thyrif

thyrif Regular Member

This is good to know for you so you can be consistent for your customers, but is not probably the culprit in breaking that quickly unless you go near 30 lbs. (ex: my 28lbs setup lasts for 2 months, usually) Grommets and top cross!

18. Vino

Vino New Member

I do checked the grommets.. on the new racket and some of my customers.. as well..those were good.. and I used the electronic weighing machine to calibrate the machine.. :)

And between does anyone have any idea about the clamp holders for Alpha ultraedge I stringing machine..
    I know this product was discontinued.. but any one has idea on after market accessories for this machine..?