Tension vs Tickness

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Budi, Mar 17, 2019.

1. Budi

Budi Regular Member

Today i play with my friend & he ask me an advice about budget racket badminton that are able to sustain a very high tension. His current racket is Voltric 1DG. Tho it can be strung up to 35lbs, he seems to be unsatisfied.

I ask the reason why he need so much high tension, even pro player rarely pass 35lbs. He said that he is looking for tick string for durability as BG66UM is kinda costy if you have to restring it often, so he want to use ticker string but for him to be able to gain the same repulsion he need to stretch it at very high tension.

For me the logic is kinda wierd. Like rubber, thinner rubber is easily to stretch so it would be more repulsive but it also easy to break. Other hand a thick rubber would be hard to stretch but not easy to break. Afterall even if you pull the string with very high tension, it would stress the string more & would end up easy to break to.

But, idk. Maybe he know something i dont know. What is your opinion about this?

2. endFX

endFX Regular Member

Badminton tryhard
    There is always a tradeoff between durability and repulsion.
    How often and why does he need a restring?
    I would recommend LiNing #1 for more durability but comparable repulsion as 66um.
    He could also give bg80 a try since it has a harder feel I would drop the tension by 1-2lbs so he gets even more durability.
    Getting a thicker string with higher tension won't change much imo.

3. BadBadmintonPlayer

BadBadmintonPlayer Regular Member

He's just wrong about his thinking!

Lower string tension of the strings gives more repulsion. This means you get more power! As you increase your string tension, you reduce repulsion, hence less power. Another disadvantage is that the sweetspot becomes very small with a high tension.

-> less tension! BG66UM or LiNing1 with less tension lasts longer, too...

thyrif and FeatherBlaster like this.
  4. FeatherBlaster

FeatherBlaster Regular Member

Thicker string with higher tension will give you the same stringbed frequency. But racket will feel dead in terms of repulsion. Especially if prestretched.

Sent from my StringLab using TapaTalk.

Cheers,
    FeatherBlaster

ubootsg likes this.