YONEX Swiss Open 2019

Discussion in '2019 Tournaments' started by yuquall, Mar 11, 2019.

1. minions

minions Regular Member

In that case, I think Ginting will won. He should progress further in this tournament.

Yes, he did beat LD in SaarLorLux Open last year.

2. ebcd

ebcd Regular Member

it's gonna be tougher for them now that their opponents are "more mature" than Chia/Soh
    Ginting should win this

3. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

QUARTERFINAL (01.00pm) => https://www.tournamentsoftware.com/sport/matches.aspx?id=FB37C55D-4533-47A9-AEE9-EE0F996F1F5B

The Chinese trio rule MS quarters, the big match will highlight two-time Olympic Champion Lin Dan versus Anthony Ginting. Lin Dan defeated the resilient Lee Dong Keun while Ginting tackled 2018 World Championships bronze medalist Liew Daren. Top-seed Shi Yuqi has sluggish performance how he eliminated preliminary round opponents including Brazilian Ygor Coelho in last sixteen, a tough test awaits him next, Netherlands fighter Mark Caljouw who stunned Tommy Sugiarto in opening contest. The reigning Olympic Champion Chen Long will find Subhankar Dey, the high-spirited Indian who won 2018 SaarLorLux Open Super 100 title edged out Jonatan Christie. The Indonesian idol had flying start to trounce Dey, 21-12 and the circumstances reversed drastically as the Indian bounced back to counter attack Christie that brought them into rubber games. A really tight clash in the third but Dey is more determined player in crucial stages, the match ended dramatically when Christie misjudged last point at the back-line, 21-17.

Recent All England Champion Chen Yufei looked quite struggling yesterday, stretched into three games by the low-ranked Estonian young lady Kristin Kuuba. She's expected to pass Indian qualifier Riya Mookerjee who took brief time at court following Michelle Li retired. Chen most likely will set All England rematch against Sung Ji Hyun on semis. Zhang Beiwen must overcome Japanese rivals en route to last round, Ayumi Mine then 21 years old Saena Kawakami.

Ahsan/Setiawan stay in fray to maintain their campaign in Basel, a complicated task to progress, TPE latest lethal combination Lee Y/Wang CL who clinch Spain Masters recently. WD title contenders Chen QC/Jia YF, Chang YN/Jung KE and Stoeva sisters also march on to next round. The soon-to-be-retired Christina Pedersen still continue her last journey with Mathias Christiansen, they will take on Chinese adversaries Lu K/Chen L.

yuquall likes this.
  4. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Lee/Wang can be pretty tricky to play against. Should be a good match.

Ginting should have the upper hand. Hope to see an exciting match. At least LD is the underdog here.:)

5. insaint84

insaint84 Regular Member

-
    BOLD predictions
    my guess is ginting should prevail in rubber sets!
    lee/wang to make it to semis !

6. volcom

volcom Regular Member

Lin Dan to lose in 2

7. twawawau

twawawau Regular Member

Hope i'm still awake to watch the match ~

8. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Yes, that's how Dey earned his fame, as many other wannabes these few years, all thanks to the Grand Old Lin Dan.

9. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Are you mocking them by calling them wannabes?

10. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

I don't wanna call them wannabes. Lindan has past his prime or the current standard is more than he used to have at his prime. In either case, it is unnecessary to call somebody wannabes just like that. This happened to Taufik in his trailing end of his career. No need to worry about. This is my humble opinion.

11. lostLore

lostLore Regular Member

I do not think that the current standard is higher than LD at his prime. Thats not apparent at all.

Justin L likes this.
  12. lostLore

lostLore Regular Member

It wasnt too long ago that Lin Dan was still able to beat LCW and we have all seen LCW still able to beat the best of the current generation b4 his illness. He is clearly past his prime though, no one can argue with that lol.

Justin L likes this.
  13. Baddie lover

Baddie lover Regular Member

The current standard of Lin Dan is way less than when he was at his prime. Maybe @Baddyforall meant that the current standard of competition for Lin Dan is way high (and not talking about standard of LD personally) but it would not be right to say those who defeat the current Lin Dan are wannabees. I say people like Subhankar Dey and other players who defeated the recent Lin Dan only did their best. Maybe they would lose to prime Lin Dan in two straight games or not. That's hyptothetical. But calling mediocre players wannabees , that is not right.

14. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Just ask yourself how many of those who beat the 'aged' Lin Dan went on to achieve anything big or really worth mentioning ? If it bothers you, then call them promising,budding, aspiring or up-and-coming players but, personally, though the term may have some negative connotation, it's not a bad word.

In the past when Lin Dan was young(er) , in his heyday and not too old yet (say,before 2014), many of the players who have beaten Lin Dan, such as Ronald Susilo, Sho Sasaki, Boonsak Ponsana, Simon Santoso, Park Sung Hwan, Wong Wing Ki, Tommy Sugiarto, Jan O Jorgensen, etc, - none of them achieve any degree of greatness (with very few exceptions and we all know who they are). What do you say of 90% of those who managed to 'steal' a match or two the last ,say, four years, beginning 2015 when his decline was evident and going downhill at an accelerating pace now ? I can't believe I even need to say this.

To me, wannabe simply means one who aspires to emulate another's success, nothing more (I didn't say they are mediocre or pushovers).

#154 Justin L, Mar 15, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
  15. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

16. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Can't find the live stream for court 1.

Court 2 is available right now :

sunscreen likes this.
  17. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Chen Yufei is one game to the good over Moorkerjee, 21-10