footwork practice in garden

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by magnusce, Mar 10, 2019.

Tags:
  1. magnusce

magnusce Regular Member

hello, i was wondering if its possible to practice better footwork in the garden by lining up a half court with 4-6 shuttles with 5 meters from side to side and 6 meters from back line to end. and then practice the footwork patterns, without hitting a shuttle but just hitting the air.

you think it would be a bad idea to do on a grass yard or do i have to find a indoor wooden floor court?

thx in advance :)

DarkHiatus likes this.
  2. amleto

amleto Regular Member

You have a garden? Why don't you try instead of ask internet strangers?

ucantseeme likes this.
  3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    grass will be too slippery. though having some softness underfeet will help foot strength.

4. Budi

Budi Regular Member

To shape your footwork habit it might work, but im not sure if its safe as it would be muddy or slippery on garden & u might fall & then hurt urself.

For smash im also do a fake/shadow (whatever the call, idk what is the real name) smash hit in my room. Its work for my body to remember the footstep & arm swing by holding an unused plastic bottle filled with sand.

magnusce likes this.
  5. DarkHiatus

DarkHiatus Regular Member

I have tried it, and it is okay for light footwork (no full speed movements, more things like footwork patterns at half speed).

The slipperiness combined with the fact that you will quickly turn your garden into a bunch of mud spots is not ideal.

The closest I have found outside of a dedicated indoor court/gym is an outdoor park with e.g. basketball concrete area or unused public tennis courts. The astroturf is not ideal especially when wet, but it is better than grass/concrete for the feet.

The other difficulty is that indoor court shoes will be of no use on grass, i suggest a set of astroturf shoes (small rubber/plastic studs) if you do it on astroturf/grass for stability/grip as they still offer decent support. Do not use running shoes, they slip and slide everywhere if you try and move laterally (not in a straight line).

Also PLEASE do not use the same court shoes indoors if you use them outdoors! It destroys court surfaces and makes play dangerous for others with accumulated dirt.

ucantseeme and magnusce like this.
  6. magnusce

magnusce Regular Member

hi, thanks for the aswers guys, quick response :)

i have been trying in the garden for some weeks now and it does get brown and muddy, but as long as it doesn't rain i think its okay,

i just wanted to know if there were a big danger of injuring myself.
    but i feel like its only dangerous if its raining, so i just dont do it when it rains and the grass is wet.
    and of course i have indoors badminton shoes and other shoes i use outside

thx for the answers though :D

7. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

I did it the whole summer every days for 2 months and still doing it once a week in my garden using the app “badminton footwork trainer” which vocally gives random numbers assigned for each part of the court and help simulate a rally and I do like to think it improved my footwork and stamina.

I didn’t injured myself however it isn’t fully safe as I did slide a few times here and there. To do with caution. :)

magnusce likes this.
  8. magnusce

magnusce Regular Member

oh thanks for the info, i will definitely try out that app tomorrow :)

yea about sliding and losing a step, i also do that on a indoor court sometimes when i play badminton, so i think thats just because the quick pace of the sport.

thank you for the kind answer :)

LenaicM likes this.
  9. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

Given the situation, a lot of gyms are closed. It's also possible to do it in a park as to not damage a nice lawn.