Mohd Ahsan / Hendra Setiawan

Discussion in 'Indonesia Professional Players' started by Licin, Aug 31, 2012.

1. twawawau

twawawau Regular Member

Both Minions and Daddies in Olympics please :cool::cool::cool::cool:

badmintony likes this.
  2. twawawau

twawawau Regular Member

Wow Wade updated profile picture to Ahsan/Hendra back shot, nice !

Baddie lover and wade like this.
  3. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Looks like everyone has the same thought. :D

Minions and Ahsan/Hendra to Tokyo 2020. :D

Well Fajar/Rian are still young. They still can try 4 years later.:p

4. twawawau

twawawau Regular Member

This Thread alive again ~ :):D:cool:;) not only minions thread hahahaha

Baddie lover likes this.
  5. twawawau

twawawau Regular Member

Hahahahahahahaha you got the point though ~ Fajri shall accumulate more experience along these years until 2024 ~

stanleyfm likes this.
  6. g3rryok

g3rryok Regular Member

and it would be epic if ahsan/setiawan won it, instead gideon/sukamuljo..

7. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

We'll never know. But as much as I like Ahsan/Hendra, I don't think so.

I'm hoping Kevin vs Zhang Nan final though as always.

8. twawawau

twawawau Regular Member

Obsess with KSS and ZN LoL , phew ~ its very difficult to tell after witnessing Hendra's calf injured due to wrong landing of jump smash or something like Marin's injury.... what can go wrong will go wrong, always be prepared ~

9. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Well, they are the best players at the moment and each with (much) weaker partner:D
    Ahsan/Hendra is kind of a complete skilled pair. Their only hurdle is age more than anything technical.

Hendra's injury should be nothing like Marin's. It will hamper his performance for a while until it's fully recovered. But he is not as young anymore, recovery might take much longer than it used to.

10. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Hendra/Ahsan is the same as KSS/MGF. Very talented net player that made the entire career of an otherwise unremarkable player. Difference (so far) is that Ahsan actually improved to the point where Hendra doesn't always have to be the best player on court to win matches, whereas KSS usually has to be...yet the AE final shows quite clearly who the difference maker in this pair is, to this day.

11. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Umm.. I beg to differ about Ahsan. He is not as awful as you pointed him to be. He made the difference in the SF that's for sure. At around the same age as Marcus, Ahsan had improved much as a player especially with his attacks. Can't say much about Marcus though.

Biglever, Baddie lover and wade like this.
  12. wade

wade Regular Member

He seems to always have something against ahsan :p ahsan is much more talented than marcus and I would forever consider him as one of the best backcourt player of all time, I just love his playing style.

Biglever, lodoss and Baddie lover like this.
  13. RoarRa

RoarRa Regular Member

Compliments from mr. president

wade likes this.
  14. minions

minions Regular Member

Yes, Herry IP did say that he will let INA MD has internal competition. The best one will be picked.
    Things just got interesting. Everyone can't afford to let down.

15. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

I didn't say anywhere that he's awful - just unremarkable. If you look at his career, he only ever did anything with Hendra - that doesn't mean he is bad, not at all. He's just not really special in my eyes, but he provides a pretty stable and reliable 'platform' for Hendra and is capable of injecting a lot of pace, which suits Hendra nicely as he can take it off again for variation :D
    Simply put, he is maybe an 8 out of 10, whereas only truly remarkable players (such as Hendra, KSS, Tony Gunawan, to name a few) would be a 9 or 10. That is still very good, just wouldn't be enough to make the impact he has made with 'just' an equal or worse partner (as evidenced by his performance with Septano, although he was a significantly worse player himself at the time).
    And a periodic reminder - please keep in mind that the context for 'good' or 'special' are other elite professionals, not average players. For someone who has won so many major titles as Ahsan has, he isn't special (because now his comparisons are the likes of HS, FHF/CY, HTK/KDM, TG/CW,...). Compared to the current pro scene, he probably is, given how it's basically his job to not be super adventurous and risk-taking.

Also keep in mind that I'm not actually comparing Marcus and Ahsan, just the dynamics of their respective partnerships.

#575 j4ckie, Mar 11, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
  16. Badmintonmag

Badmintonmag Regular Member

Hm, I would agree that Setiawan was way more solid during their prime. But Ahsan not special? You shouldn`t compare him to Gunawan and other front court players. They are by job description more creative and fancy. He`s a backcourt player and who would you call significantly better this century? Tan? Yoo? Kim? Goh? Mogensen? Not even Chandra was that special in my opinion. The only backcourt player that stands out is Fu Haifeng and you can surely rate Ahsan below him. But Ahsan has such great variety in his attacking and can even play the net very well, that I would rate him among the best backcourt players of all time.

17. Badmintonmag

Well, what can you say about yesterday`s final? HS/MA was already my favourite pair ever and Setiawan already the best doubles player of all times in my opinion. But this was something else. After the first set I thought they`d retire and all of a sudden they start playing with such force, concentration and determination. Never thought I`d see Setiawan this emotional on court. Never felt this good about a sport moment since Federer beat Nadal in Australia 2017.

By the way, Ahsan without an Olympic medal is a shame, given the fact that the likes of Ellis/Langridge can call bronze medals their own. Very impressed by his level this year. In my opinion currently the second best player behind Kevin. So glad they are back together after Hendras desaster with Tan (which I could have told him). Getting to Tokyo and getting a medal will be very hard and I don`t really see this happening. But with them, you never know...

j4ckie likes this.
  18. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Candra not special? Olympics Gold medalist and World Champions with two different partners?
    Then I disagree with you.

j4ckie likes this.
  19. Badmintonmag

With two very, very strong partners. Of course he was good, but in my opinion way more one-dimensional than Ahsan. He was a good smasher with a good defense.

20. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Right.. and Ahsan's partner (Hendra) who he won many titles with is not very, very strong?