A Badminton Video Game

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Slyy, Nov 16, 2018.

1. Slyy

Slyy Regular Member

Hello

Badminton enthusiast I want to make a video game of this sport like an old 2D game.

I am aware of the way I have to go but first step : try to reproduce the shuttlecock movement.

You can see the progress on this web site : https://royexp.itch.io/superbad

Do not hesitate to give your opinion / advice !

See you soon :) !

#1 Slyy, Nov 16, 2018
    Last edited: May 21, 2021
  2. Ralph Wong

Ralph Wong New Member

Hey, I'm made a badminton video game too. Actually, it's more of a badminton themed video game. Are you using an engine to make yours like Unity?

3. Slyy

Slyy Regular Member

Hi Ralph,
    I use a GML Engine.
    Do you have some photos/videos of your game ?

4. Ralph Wong

Ralph Wong New Member

Sure do. It's more like a badminton themed game. You're a badminton player who has to fight enemies using a badminton racquet so that you can rescue your friend who has been kidnapped. I'll probably create a thread for it one of these days. It took me two years to get it 95% done. I will probably finish it in the next few months. Hope your game goes well. So far I haven't seen any badminton game that has a top down perspective.

5. Slyy

Slyy Regular Member

6. Ralph Wong

Ralph Wong New Member

I tried looking up your link for "Badminton vs Zombies", but nothing loads on the page. From the description of the game, it would seem like a similar idea. Beat up things using badminton. The way I have it implemented in my game, you can do drives, clears, and smashes. You can also do a clear first and set yourself up for a smash like in volleyball.

I saw your video. I'm curious on how you will implement jump smashes since it is a complete top down view.

7. Slyy

Slyy Regular Member

For obtain this effect i need to work on the sprite sheet .. a lot of work !

8. Slyy

Slyy Regular Member

9. Slyy

Slyy Regular Member

I just posted a new video on this web site : https://royexp.itch.io/superbad
    for now I'm trying to focus on a thrower and fine-tuning my player's shot and those moves

10. Slyy

Slyy Regular Member

First demo downloadable on: https://royexp.itch.io/superbad
    a launcher sends you shuttlecocks that you have to send back by putting yourself well under the target drawn on the ground:
    Use the arrows to move
    Use the space to hit the shuttlecock
    The more you press the spacebar, the farther the shot will go far (a gauge appears)
    As soon as you release the spacebar, the player releases his shot
    The idea is to optimize the gameplay as much as possible
    Thank you for giving me your impressions, bugs, ideas to make the game more visual or real or ... what you think about it !!!! Before developing a match against an opponent.
    Of course this is just the beginning, there is no sound, no effect or additional animation for the moment (I did not even have time to put a net).

11. Slyy

Slyy Regular Member

New Video on https://royexp.itch.io/superbad
    Optimization of shuttlecock fly and footwork movement !

Soon a new downloadable demo with these changes.

Thank you for giving me your impressions, bugs, ideas to make the game more visual or real or ... what you think about it !!!!

12. Slyy

Slyy Regular Member

Second version of a free downloadable demo which includes on Page Project : https://royexp.itch.io/superbad

- shadow for player and shuttlecock
    - best movement of the player and shuttlecock
    - Drive stroke for the player
    - colors indications for shot the shuttlecock (green for Drive stroke and Blue for Clear stroke)
    - fault system ( IN or OUT)
    - net

Test it !!!

13. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

I know nothing about developing a video game except that I’m aware it must be a load of work. Yet from my understanding your game is only available for windows computer right? So not everyone can test it.

Isn’t it limiting your audience knowing most people now play games on a mobile platform whether it be a tablet or a phone. And what about Mac users? I can only imagine it might be a lot of works to have the game ready for other platforms though...

14. Slyy

Slyy Regular Member

First of all, thank you for your opinion.

I think you are right. Today, it's important to be able to make a game accessible on multiple platforms.
    If for the moment this demo is accessible only on windows, it's because it's the platform I'm used to working on.
    I intend to put it on android, but it is not yet planned to do on Apple or linux. And yet on apple, it would be necessary.

Currently I am only at the beginning of the program that I had set (a launcher who sends shuttlecocks with a player who can return it).

Now it's a matter of seeing to put two players against each other (one directed by the computer the other by human player).

But I will still look ahead if this first demo can be adapted for Android easily.

And you, for example, on which platform are you? Did you download and try the demo?

15. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

I would like to try it! I use apple devices so I couldn’t download it... thus my comment :)

16. Slyy

Slyy Regular Member

Ok Lenaic, i see !

I'm sorry but release a version for mac os x will ask me a little more time.:(
    However, there is an emulator https://www.winehq.org/ which allows software designed only for Windows to work in other environments like Linux or Mac OS X.

In the meantime, I see to release it under android and look on my side if it is possible for me to leave it for mac os x.
    It would interest me to know if you could get there with "WineHQ" because I do not have MAC OS X environment to test it.
    Normally you can download it but not launch it, right?

Are others also in this case? or another platform?

17. Slyy

Slyy Regular Member

https://royexp.itch.io/superbad
    New video of version 0.03.
    The shuttlecock launcher has given way to an AI opponent.
    To direct the player, you must use:
    Arrows keys to move
    "Space" to serve
    "W" to clear
    "X" to drop
    Some sounds have been added.
    We can play 1 whole set of 21 points against an AI opponent.
    by the end of the month, this first playable version will be available for download.
    At the moment, The demo with the shuttlecock launcher where only the space bar is used to return it remains available.
    Please after each download leave a comment.

18. Slyy

Slyy Regular Member

This time it is version 0.03 is available for download (for PC) : https://royexp.itch.io/superbad
    You can finally play against an opponent (computer-controlled) for 1 set.
    To direct the player, you must use:
    arrows to move
    "Space" only to serve
    "W" to clear
    "X" to drop
    In the case of the shooting keys, pressing the key (space, W or X) triggers a target which must be directed with the arrows and when the firing button is released, the shuttlecock moves to the place where it was the target.
    This system of shooting is similar to what we find on old tennis games (great cours 2, advantage tennis, ..) especially for the service. The main objective of this game is to have a nice gameplay to play, we will see for future releases if it will be kept especially for the service. It is especially your impressions / wishes that will make this game evolve.
    So I'm counting on you to leave a comment on your impressions after each download !!!

stanleyfm likes this.
  19. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

I will try to look it up in the next few days and provide some ideas + feedback
    Congratulations and great job though!

20. Slyy

Slyy Regular Member

Thank you stanley fm!
    Even if I'm at the beginning it's important to have feedback on the animation, the handling but also ideas on the game as a whole