Feet symmetry

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Zohar, Dec 29, 2018.

1. Zohar

Zohar Regular Member

Badminton is working your body asymmetrically. I was wondering, players who play for a long time, please check your feet, are they the same length?

2. badmintony

badmintony Regular Member

Dunno about that but I know that yuta Watanabe has a left arm that's bigger than his right arm.

Sent from my JSN-L22 using Tapatalk

3. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Why is it that you ask specifically about foot length?

Is there a problem that you’ve noticed with your feet?

If intense exercise made feet grow, Usain Bolt would be walking around with clown shoes on.:rolleyes:

4. ChanKC

ChanKC Regular Member

Resurrecting this thread rather than creating a new one.
    I agree with the OP that Badminton does work on the body asymmetrically. Myself being right-handed have noticed by right shoulder, forearm and thigh to be noticeably larger than my left side. Obviously swinging the racket helps to work on the right arm a lot, but also lunging and pushing off with the right leg as well.

Whilst I don't notice notice my feet being longer than the other (I can't see why it would be?!), I do find there is an imbalance of muscle mass between my left and right side.

How do you try to even this out? do you work out more on your non-dominant side with weights/in the gym? or do you accept it and move on? :)

5. scamp

scamp Regular Member

I have heard it said that some people have two left feet.

6. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

According to Chou Tien Chen’s trainer using dynamic tape could help, at least while playing... (starts at 2:06 in the video below)

She doesn’t talk further about this topic but I can only guess CTC must do some exercices to balance his body better.

ucantseeme likes this.
  7. decoy

decoy Regular Member

I went to a personal trainer for an extended period of time to address a few things including your own question.

What he said to me was to work out the same amount on both sides of your body. And to let the limiting half of your body set the pace. So for a really basic example. If the most you can curl on your left arm is 5lbs for 10 reps, then do the exact same thing on your right side. Eventually this will make the two even out. It's also true that there will be some days where your dominant side becomes the limiting half due to fatigue from the day before or something.

Another thing that I would say if you're looking to even it out, is to try to use more exercises where both sides move independently of each other. So for example doing dumbbell chest press instead of barbell. Since if you're using a barbell your dominant side could hold the majority of the weight instead of an even distribution.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

ucantseeme and LenaicM like this.
  8. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    Try golf, golfing is a game which your weaker side is leading your dominant side.

9. DarkHiatus

DarkHiatus Regular Member

Less known fact is that your feet get larger as you age, especially after you turn 40 (up to half a size per decade!). This is because the ligaments/tendons lose elasticity and your bones spread out, causing your feet to get longer/wider.

It could be plausible that an uneven amount of force on one foot (probably racquet foot) could accelerate the ageing/damage to tendons/ligaments, leading to foot lengthening/widening compared to the less used foot.

Buuuut, it is probably a minor issue really.

ChanKC likes this.