How to keep up the adrenaline

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Budi, Feb 24, 2019.

1. Budi

Budi Regular Member

I play double mostly.
    But there is a time where my opponent would aim for my partner (well sometimes they just tease my friend or someother times it coz my partner is weaker so they aim for him).
    The problem is when they aim for my friend & exchange bird few times, i turn into standby state (i feel like im being forgoten that i also play with them). After that if my opponent suddenly give the bird to me, i got surprise & not ready to take it.

Its like driving a car in a high way with high spd, then suddenly im getting out of the highway & got slow down by busy traffic.

So, what to do for me to keep my addrenaline up high.

2. SimonCarter

SimonCarter Regular Member

The game of position does not stop when your partner is hitting the shuttle cock. You should keep moving adapting to the shot your partner does. If he plays a dropshot and is far away from the net you should rush the net to cover it. If he is dragged to the side you should move a bit closer to him to cover the court better.
    When you watch high level player play doubles you will see that they keep moving even when they are not the one getting the birdies

3. phihag

phihag Regular Member

As @SimonCarter wrote, with any partner you must move all the time to adapt to the situation.

If your partner is much weaker and all the shuttles go to him, it is also your task (in addition to adapting to the situation) to rebalance the court division between you two, i.e. either make it much easier for your partner, or make the opponents play to you.

You can do that by progressively taking more space, i.e. moving closer to your partner.

For instance, if your partner is behind you in a corner, move back and be ready to cover both front corners and the other corner in the back. Also, you must intercept all flat shots.

Basically, move towards your partner until your partner can play all shots while standing still with plenty of time, which should be much easier for them and will force the opponents to play to you.

Note that that you can't complain to the opponents about hem making you feel like being forgotten. If your partner is weaker and you don't do anything to help them out, the opponents would be stupid to play to you – that is, until you've fallen asleep.

4. ChanKC

ChanKC Regular Member

As mentioned by the others, the key is to keep moving yourself - you should always be doing a split step when the opponents hit the shuttle (even if it's not hit towards you). This way you remain on constant alert in case they switch targets. During matches I see this tactic employed a lot - I even use it myself, so for me as soon as any shot is hit regardless of who I think about where the next shot could be and what can I do to turn it around.

Miin Nguyen likes this.