Li Ning No. 1 String - Anyone using it?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Charlie-SWUK, Aug 20, 2015.

1. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    Pretty much. It’s kinda sad it loses the insanely nice flavour so quickly tho.

2. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

They both are 0.65 mm though...

3. SimonCarter

SimonCarter Regular Member

Well first session went very good. Coming from bg65 it is not surprising. Even with the black colored i felt a way better grip. Repulsion was very good too.
    I will probably buy a reel of white #1
    I am just waiting to test some #5 first (not sure how they will compare)

4. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Coming from BG65, this must feel like repulsion heaven I guess!

Personally, I had one bad experience with black LN1. Snapped after only a couple of sessions whereas I can hardly break yellow at all. Oh, and even more important, it sucks big time to string black strings so I avoid it whenever possible.

Regarding LN1 vs. LN5, the difference can quickly be described as LN5 being a thicker LN1 with everything that goes along with that. A little less repulsion, a little more "mass" in the shot and even better durability. In fact, this thing seems to be close to indestructible, so if you're after maximum durability with fairly good overall performance, you should definitely have a go with LN5.

5. SimonCarter

SimonCarter Regular Member

Ahah yes I have always had a lot of trouble with long defense. It felt a lot better for sure!
    Why does black sucks when stringing ? I will go for white for sure. Even if black looks crazy good on the red zf2.
    Yes I will try #5 but on another racket so I will see. I think it will be good enough for me. But as long as #1 last at least a month I might go for it.

6. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

It just about the missing contrast when you do the weaving. I always have to check twice for any weaving mistakes and still it leaves me with a little bit of uncertainty. But hands down, black strings on a red ZF2 is definitely something. But maybe think about getting your stringer an extra beer or chocoloate (flowers?) if you decide to torture him regularly with that black ninja stuff. :p

Depends of course on the time on court per week an the tension. Also, LN1 is a bit vulerable when it comes to slicing. But if you ask me for a prediction considering your game and tension, I'd say that a month should easily be doable. But let's see.

7. FeatherBlaster

FeatherBlaster Regular Member

At least it says so on the Chinese pack, right? :)

What pings do you get from the strings in the same racket with the same tension? Pings are a result of the mass of the strings, given they are roughly same materials and density, thus ping equals thickness...

Bg66 is similar untensioned as #1 is tensioned I'd guess.

Sent from my StringLab using TapaTalk.

Cheers,
    FeatherBlaster

8. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

I haven't measured them. Have you?

9. FeatherBlaster

FeatherBlaster Regular Member

Measuring pings in same racket with same tension in same digital machine, yes.

Using high tech precision tools, no.

I'd reckon pings are fairly accurate here.

Sent from my StringLab using TapaTalk.

Cheers,
    FeatherBlaster

10. Razor-BladE

Razor-BladE Regular Member

Personal Trainer
    Wondering if anyone else has experienced what I have recently. I haven't been playing with LN1 recently, so I decided to go back to it last week. Strung an AVP at 12kgx12.5kg (my usual), yellow reel (CN) from MBS. Barely hit 30 minutes with it when it decided to snap on the crosses, in the centre of the centre string, when I was lifting, and not very hard either as I was coaching a relative beginner at the time.

No nicks in the string, and the clamps wouldn't have gone anywhere near the centre anyway. Any ideas as to why this might have happened?

11. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Bad luck I guess. Maybe some minor damage on the inside layers and that's it. Never had any issues like that myself with LN1 though.

Saru likes this.
  12. BadBadmintonPlayer

BadBadmintonPlayer Regular Member

Bet on any damage. Maybe the string was damaged inside or outside before the stringing. Maybe the string has been damaged somewhere on a sharp object while stringing. Maybe the string got damaged somewhere after the stringing without playing...

Just bad luck and no second or third time should happen.

13. Razor-BladE

Razor-BladE Regular Member

Personal Trainer
    Ok thanks! Hopefully won't see it happen again then!

14. Carbonex_7

Carbonex_7 Regular Member

I don't have problem with LN1 but BG80, both are 200m yellow reels from MBS. BG80 on mains and LN1 on crosses, 27 x 29lbs, 3 out of 5 returned in first week, 1 snapped in 2nd set play, another one snapped after 12hrs of use (26lbs not strung by me). All the BG80 snapped at same location, middle top sweetspot area. It could be bad luck to get an old stock or something. I don't think it is equipment or clamp issue as I have done other rackets with other string and they seems to be ok.

15. Budi

Budi Regular Member

My experience with LN1 is that i have never snap it no matter how hard i hit or how long i play it. Always end up cut it myself.
    But on BG66UM, i always snap it within 2-3 month.

16. VeritasC&E

VeritasC&E Regular Member

I'm looking for information from long term LN1 users regarding the endurance of its performance over the string's lifetime

I am currently using NBG99 at 32.5 lbs on ZFII rackets. I like to try to play as long as possible on my strings as long as they have some life left into them. And I'm considering if it would be an improvement for me to move on to LN1 (at slightly lower tensions maybe) and buy a reel of it, so if you also have experience with NBG99 it would be a tiny plus, though all comments from LN1 users are more than welcome!

(1) REPULSION: I play over 40 hours on each string-job with NBG99 and I'd say it retains maybe 45-50% of it's initial repulsion at that stage. Would LN1 do much better than that if at all? Can I expect to play up to 60-70 hours on a stringjob without LN1 starting to feel dead like NBG99 feels around 40 hours?

(2) CONTROL: I'm really in love with NBG99's control over the first 10 hours of the string, but it fades away very fast past that point. LN1 is rated 8/10 on control (vs 10/10 for NBG99), but since NBG99 loses its control so fast, I'm left wondering if LN1 could be a better average over the entire life of the string. If the initial control on LN1 is set as 100%, how much control would you say is left after 15h / 30h / and 45h played with the string?

(3) RUPTURE POINT: I usually cut NBG99 after 35-45 hours of play on a string because it starts feeling quite dead, but despite my agressive play-style it very rarely breaks on me (when it does it does so past 40h of play). I think that more than LN1's performance endurance, the string is reputed for it's endurance before rupturing. How many hours on average do you think I can expect before breaking LN1 strings? (unlike previous questions, this question is of lesser importance for me as I don't really care about keeping a string on my racket if it lost most of its performance already, so if you feel so, please feel free to only respond to the first 2 questions)

LN1 will give me a tiny sweet-spot on my rackets, which is a big handicap compared to NBG99's relatively "large" sweet-spot and forgivingness, so all-in all, do you think that it would be worth it moving on to it for a person like me who likes to try to get the maximum out of a string over time while trying to retain excellent control > great repulsion?

Thanks ahead for helping me to weight on the pros and cons before I maybe buy a LN1 reel! : )

Notabene: When I write "hours" I refer to total hours played on a string since it was freshly strung.

#1156 VeritasC&E, Mar 20, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
  17. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    @VeritasC&E not tried NBG99 before.

I used to train with 2 county players, one of whom was a former national. Both of them were big, 80kg guys, hard hitters. They both wanted their rackets strung at 30lbs.
    The former national outright snapped No.1 a few times, and is the only person I've seen outright snap it.
    The other county guy, it lasted him about 3 months before it started fraying. This guy typically played 6-12 hours a week.. so.. I think 100 hours is quite fair.
    I've never managed to get No.1 to start fraying myself, no matter how long (although I usually cut and restring when it's not quite what I want).

The performance of the string is very consistent, it really does take a long time before I start feeling as though it's not up to par.

That said, NBG99 and No.1 even on paper look like apples and oranges. Maybe buy a few packs of it and see if you like it before you commit to a reel. When I tried it out, I started with 5 packs to try.

VeritasC&E likes this.
  18. VeritasC&E

VeritasC&E Regular Member

@Charlie-SWUK

Thanks for sharing your experience! : )

In terms of durability, what I'm looking for really is a string that keeps as much as possible of it's initial properties past 40-50 hours of play (more than a string not breaking). I would rate NBG99 as excellent at not breaking (which doesn't matter much to me), very good at retaining it's initial repulsion performance over time (though passed 30-40 hours of play it slowly starts feeling dead), and not so good at retaining it's initial control (it has the absolute best control you can have from a string in the first 10 hours or so, but only retains a lesser portion of that control pass 20 hours of play on that string).

19. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    It retains its properties extremely well. It has an initial drop but remains stable for a long, long time. But like I said, on paper they're apples and oranges, and you'd be best off trying it out for yourself.

Saru and VeritasC&E like this.
  20. Ouchie

Ouchie Regular Member

My experience with no1 on 2 identical rackets is...
    1. Blue: Strung at 26lb with 10% prestretch on Jan 17 and used 4-6 hours per week.
    2. Black: Strung at 25lb with 10% prestretch on Dec 11 and barely used more than 1 hour total.

I believe usage has the biggest effect because 1 is noticeably mushy compared to 2. 2 pings much higher. 1 is still going strong and looks fine. However, there is less overal performance but still better than my experience of bg66 ultimax and bg80. 1 tension feels more like 22 now, 2 feels like 24. I am not sure I can take it for much longer and just cut the strings but it is interesting (for science and giggles) to keep going and see how long it lasts. I really should have measured ping frequencies first :oops: