Shoulder impingement syndrome: everything you want to know about it

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by visor, Jul 19, 2012.

1. visor

visor Regular Member

Yeah, backhand power strokes are especially hard on the elbow joint, if there's any Improper technique. Eg. elbow locked out or fully extended, not using grip tightening and so trying to overcompensate with more upper arm.

Where's your deltoid pain? Show me a picture with an X on it.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

2. pepe54

pepe54 Regular Member

Somewhere between the front deltoid and mid deltoid (apologies for the lack of proper terminology here); I did try those diagnostic procedures described in the beginning of the thread but found none of them to be debilitating, the only symptoms I had were some mild pain midway through those motions.

My shoulder issue just appeared yesterday. While I was using a handheld electronic massage tool yesterday, I had to apply moderate pressure to the aforementioned area to have the discomfort and pain manifest though it feels a lot better today. I don't think its a serious issue at this stage but I thought of addressing it before it progresses into something serious. My front deltoids are developed but less so the sides and rear (nonexistent). Possible activities that could have caused it are badminton, chinups, or resistance ropes based excersies that I have recently started doing simulating swing motions: lateral backswings, frontswings, elbow bent, elbow straight.

I am thinking of doing those internal and external rotation exercises with the elbow bent next, but am apprehensive at this stage and have been limiting my daily routines to less reps, slower reps and stopping once any discomfort occurs.

PS - Just thought of doing some deltoid side raises with no weight and thats when the discomfort occurs, though do note that it occurs at a very odd angle between a front raise and a side raise and itermittently at that

3. Val.k

Val.k New Member

Not sure what happened. But recently, these 3 months of play has cause some pain in my shoulder. When I went for physio for 4 weeks, it seemed to be getting better, even with play. But now the pain just goes on and off. I used to be able to link my fingers behind my back (left hand from the top of my left shoulder while right hand moves upwards from bottom right-hope it makes sense) now I can barely do it without pain, and I feel like I lost some strength as well. Is this also impingement?

4. visor

visor Regular Member

Picture with the location of the pain?

5. Val.k

Val.k New Member

Took this picture off the internet. But it's exactly where the guy's forefinger and middle finger is. Especially when I press in on it with my left hand while my right arm is hanging loose.[​IMG]

6. visor

visor Regular Member

Possibly impingement. That is the location of the supraspinatus tendon attachment and also the subacromial bursa. Have you tried performing the impingement tests on the first page? Also check with your physio about the diagnosis and management of it.

pepe54 likes this.
  7. Val.k

Val.k New Member

Did the impingement test, but didn't seem to have the results of an impingement. But anyway, i will be consulting my physio after reading this thread. Hope it goes away soon, thanks! :)

visor likes this.
  8. pepe54

pepe54 Regular Member

I have the issue in the same region as pointed out by @Valk above. The diagnostic tests did not reveal any clear revelations, however I do notice a fair amount of discomfort during supination of my upper arm or when raising it in the air. I'm currently attempting rehab with resistance bands and the injury seems to be progressing along at a slow rate.

9. Chethan

Chethan New Member

Software Engineer
    Weighted hang of the affected arm, while bending the opposite knee so as to give your arm a free hang should help with impingement. This helped me. But surely check with a doc if it doesn't get better, as it can also be one of your biceps tendons long or shot, that go through there.

visor likes this.
  10. Sommersby

Sommersby New Member

I have been playing tennis whole my life on top level of my country and in age of 17-18 I got a huge shoulder pain in middle of the season. I was stupid and kept playing with ibuprofein for my team. It got so bad that in the middle of the match i couldnt even raise my bottle of water. I got some physiotherapy etc but it didnt really help me much back then. Then i went to army and now i have had break over than 2 years. I started to play badminton few months ago and i can smash with 100% power without pain. Yesterday i did those moves what visor posted first and it felt fine. Today i got some pain in my shoulder but not much.. Could it be because of those moves or is it going to get worse again..? I mean if it is "good" pain or "bad" pain.

edit. I also started going to the gym like 2-3 months before i started badminton. First i had some pain in shoulder after benchpressing but then i started to do backshoulders everyday with rubber band and it felt a lot better. But now ive been thinking that i wont do benchpress anymore cos i believe i dont have perfect technique for it and i can do chest with other moves aswell.

#110 Sommersby, Dec 21, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
  11. pepe54

pepe54 Regular Member

Those backshoulder exercises with a rubber band you mentioned sound like the solution, would you mind explaining that in more detail?
    Did you also figure out whether it was a muscle tear, joint issue, tendon, or combination?

Good pain relates more to muscle tears (micro trauma) while bad pain usually involves major muscle tears, joints or tendons.
    It is also worth noting that the rehabilitation and strengthening procedures are entirely different for each involved :)

12. Sommersby

Sommersby New Member

I think it was that my tendon got inflammed. I was also in MRI and then I had a meeting with surgeon and he decided that it's not needed to do endoscopy. And he said like we can do a surgery but then it will probably break again so only time will heal it.. I was pretty young and didnt really understand what is the real problem there and now i regret it but hopefully it will be ok now.

The exercise im doing with rubber band is this :
    (the exercise starts at 5:25) the video is in finnish but basically he says that he had issues with his shoulders alot and that exercise is for back shoulders. After he started doing that the pain went completely away. He does that like 100x everyday but says that when u start its better to do like 50x 4-5 times a week. And u shouldnt have too big resistance in rubber band. And do it till the failure like 20x then 5sec break then again 5-10 etc... Sorry for me bad english hope u understand.

regularAl and pepe54 like this.
  13. markho678

markho678 Regular Member

h
    hello visor,can u tell me how long u feel pain free after starting those exercise?
    i think i have same problem, my shoulder hurt when im full smash and high clear and neer test pretty much confirm it... i already doing some of those exercise 1 week and my shoulder feel little bit better but still hurt when playing..
    thanks..

14. visor

visor Regular Member

You probably shouldn't play for at least a few weeks until you're pain free. Have to give it time to recover. Ice it lots and do those exercises meanwhile.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

markho678 and Slade like this.
  15. Slade

Slade Regular Member

To make my two months off easier to deal with I switched to playing with my left arm. It was very frustrating at first and felt completely uncoordinated but I kept at it eventually became reasonably competent. A friend of mine did the same thing when he injured his hand.

16. markho678

markho678 Regular Member

It’s only starting to hurt when im playing or when im scratching my back.. Feels normal when im not doing both of that.. it seems rest couple weeks and doing the exercise is the only way it’s healing...
    Thanks visor.

17. John Brylle Boyles

John Brylle Boyles New Member

Same also with me, it hurts when im doing high clear(forehand) and full smash, also it hurts when scratching my back other than that it feels normal is started 2 weeks ago i did take a week off but then play it still hurts but little less i think ima take a month off for now, but the 3 test in page 1 didn't confirm anything i did all those i didnt feel any pain, any suggestions?

18. lurker

lurker Regular Member

Visor, u ex-malaysian in Canada now?
    IMO only Malaysians will call those shots char siew!

visor likes this.
  19. markho678

markho678 Regular Member

I think both our problem still in early stage and the best way is keep doing the exercise and stop playing for a couple weeks...

20. Zalmon

Zalmon Regular Member

Visor, I have read your shoulder impingement forum and I have a quick question for you, but here this is my situation I have played with stiff rackets before (vt80e tune, nanoray 900, nanoray z speed, 88s) now I currently use 88d pro and I love it. My tension is around 27-28 lbs with bg80power. However, last couple month I mishit from halfcourt jump smash. Im pretty sure I didnt fully stretch my shoulder because my timing was off and I try not to mishit it then I started to develop this shoulder impingement thing. I have seen physio for two session with ultrasound therapy then Im getting better. Last week, I was able to clear and smash (50-70%) with no pain. This week the pain come back , but I think it isnt fully recovered and I started to go back to weight lifting ( I work out regularly since young) but the pain isnt as bad as when I first got it. So, I wonder whether if changing to a flexier racket would help because this shoulder pain stop me from working out and playing badminton quite a while. Im looking into something like a BS12 or Nanoflare 700 or anything mid flex with balanced head or slightly HH. Or should I take some rest and keep using the 88d pro. I love this racket , but you know I could give it up if it make me be able to play with my full potential again.