Stiffer or flex shaft

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Budi, Feb 12, 2019.

1. Budi

Budi Regular Member

My current Racket is my old Lining UC5000. Its Head Heavy, med flex racket. I have use it for quite long up till now & experiment with alot of string & tension with it. Right now end up with BG66UM or Lining No.1 (tough i feel No.1 is kinda slippery) with 27lbs.

As its my current & only weapon, im thinking to get a 2nd one. But as im not going for a tournament & just a serious but fun play with friend or sparring with some other people in the field, so i didnt think to get identical Racket spec.

So im curious on stiff or flex racket but cant decide which one for my 2nd Racket. So with that, what can be expected from stiffer or flex racket compare to med flex (which is in the middle of it)?

For note, that i have try my friend Voltric 7DG that he strung at 30lbs. Tho i can still make a clear hit with it, i really hate the feeling hitting with a frying pan. So for additional question, does stiff racket would kinda feel like that to?

2. Unforgiven

Unforgiven New Member

A stiff racket with such a high string tension will feel like a frying pan.

If you're comfortable with a mid flex racket, I'd consider staying with it. The stiffer the racket, the better your technique needs to be, or you'll probably hurt yourself by using your shoulder/elbow to compensate the loss in strength.

On the other hand, unless you are going for an extremely flexible racket, the difference between med and flex isn't that huge IMO. You'll probably need to adjust your swing speed during your first games tho.

3. Budi

Budi Regular Member

Thanks for answering my question.

Talking about skill, swing spd, & technique is somewhat unclear. Its not like in a console games where its clear Lv requirement is 50 or 99.
    Saying i can smash, able to hit from back to back line easily, or able to return hard smash doesnt mean im intermediate/advance player.
    Saying im beginner but i can kill many of my friend with my smash, but it might that im used to play with them & can predict their pattern to kill them.
    Saying im intermediate/advance yet im pretty sure many other able to smack me down easily as i never had serious training, just experience & some advice from better player.
    Saying im beginner but im able to sparring with a coach or his student i meet in the field (tho never been able to win agains the coach which is obvious,but i still can get some point & not total 0 loss).

To many factor involved on it.

So in conclusion is:
    If i pick stiff racket, there is a risk for me it going to be a waste if im unable to meet the racket lv requirement (skill & tech).
    Yet staying on mid flex or try a total flex would be less risky as i might just need to adapt to its new flex which mean more forgiving if im lack of skill.

Again thanks.
    It will be a great input for me to decide.

4. KingCantona

KingCantona Regular Member

From what you mentioned, I strongly suggest you stick mid flex shaft. Stiff shaft is not for everyone.

I guess you are still young and eager to try out different rackets. If money is not a problem, then why not give a stiff racket a try.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk