21-0 Target

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Heer, Feb 12, 2019.

1. Heer

Heer Regular Member

Hey guys ! some time before , due to some problems with my game like lack of consistency, continuity and concentration my gameplay was deteriorating . I placed my problem before my coach and after some exchange of ideas between us , he asked me that you need to try to concentrate more and more on your game . For doing this , you can try to win by maximum points you can against your opponent . It will benefit you even when your opponent is weak and due to this you are losing points due to a kind of motivational problem against weaker opponents . I was also given a target to win by 21-0 .
    Now I want to discuss this with you all . Your past experience will really help me in achieving it . Have you ever defeated anybody by this margin ? It is very hard even against weak opponents .

2. BadBadmintonPlayer

BadBadmintonPlayer Regular Member

Hmm, wouldn't you play too much for safety if you weren't allowed to lose a single point?

Two things that help more to keep concentration high:
    1) Always think about the current point. The current result doesn't matter.
    2) Especially pay attention to 1-2 things to improve your game.

3. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Trust me, 21-0 is almost impossible. Even if you are playing against someone way below your level. You will - even if it's only subconsciously - relax a little and this will lead to unforced errors. Best I ever did was 21-1. It only takes a small mistake, a framehit from your opponent, a lucky net cord and so on...

Now, why would you even do this? If you seriously think you could achieve a score like that against your opponent you are or he is obviously in the wrong league. If you are able to toy with your opponent or crush him, how do you expect to get any kind of motivation? Doesn't really matter if you win 21-0, 21-5 or 21-15. All scores are comfortable, imo. And if you are just setting yourself that target to play better, it's too unrealistic to be of any help.

My advice would be trying to play the best badminton you can and not focus on the score. If you will do that and are the better player on that, you will undoubtedly win and the score will be fine too. If you are playing badly because you are nervous, try focussing on enjoying the game more and not focus on winning too much. Making unforced errors, lacking consistency can have a lot of reasons. I ruled out technical issues because you said you have a coach. If there are glaring deficiencies he would have noticed and corrected them, I suppose.

Saru, dtjovan, s_mair and 3 others like this.
  4. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Rather than trying to win the game 21-0, why not try this :

For motivations, some say that nothing works well than a threat to your beloved favorite thing.. heh.. heh.. heh (evil laugh) :D:D.
    Let's say you have favorite toys that you love so much or your beloved car you don't want anyone to touch or whatever.

Set of a realistic goal or a scoreline depending on your opponent. Or have your coach be the referee or something.
    If you failed to achieve your goal (for example to win within the margin given), then your favorite toy will be confiscated. If you failed again, another one will be taken and so on.

This has to be something that you really don't want to lose or happen, otherwise it won't be enough to be a "motivation" to keep your concentration level at the highest when playing because you will want to fight so hard to keep your favorite toy in tact.

Some people could thrive with positive reinforcement (praises etc), some with negative (threats etc) depends on the person really.
    Which one are you:D:D

5. Cesium

Cesium Regular Member

Web Developer
    Should always try to play against stronger opponents instead of someone you can win 21-0

6. Heer

Heer Regular Member

I just not mean absolutely 21-0 but the main problem with me is after having a good start , my shorts suddenly starts going wrong . This creates a problem for me not only against strong opponents but against weaker opponents which is the biggest concern for me. Once I had a strong lead of 11-2 but at last it was 21 -19 in his favour and till 11-2 I was looking very strong against him but suddenly everything starts just deteriorating . Against stronger players this thing also comes in between suddenly . Once the match was almost equally dominated by both of us and the score was 15-15 but suddenly my shorts started getting away from the court . Not only the game went to his pocket by 21-15 but also in the next game , he defeated me 21-4 . These incidents reiterate from time to time.
    So I thought if I play with an objective of 21-0 victory then I'll not lose my concentration because it is very hard to finish like that and no matter how the opponent is , strong or weak I can't lose points against him specially those which are almost gifted by me to my opponent . It's not strictly 21-0 but a comprehensive victory of about 21-7 against weaker player and a deserving win against stronger players can be achieved , as per me .
    Is it right ? Because I want to improve my game .

7. SimonCarter

SimonCarter Regular Member

I think more than trying to win 21-0 (which will fail as soon as your opponent scores one point) you need to focus on the ongoing rally and not on the score.
    Not thinking about past points is very important to not get stuck in a bad mindset.

LenaicM and ucantseeme like this.
  8. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    I recommend to not play opponents who are much weaker than yourself. In a tournament or league this shouldn't happen and in training...you know the role of the underdog? The underdog can focus on playing, nobody awaits anything. The much better player await a clear win for himself, make the gap as huge as possible to don't get close to the underdog. You always play under pressure and with expectations for yourself, friends and so on. I normally play opponents that give me 3 set matches or a tight 2 set. Much more pressure and excitement to keep up motivation and stay focuse and concentrated. If you slip for a few points you mess up your result as well. If you play people you fall a sleep, you won't gain anything. Who cares if you won 21:0, 21:3, 21:5 or 21:9? If you slip for a few points it don't put IMO any pressure on you.

LenaicM likes this.
  9. Heer

Heer Regular Member

OK
    I will take all your suggestions into consideration and try to improve my gameplay .
    But what to do when I lose points against weaker opponents because we can't skip matches against them because in a tournament we have to face strong as well as weak opponents . It all depends on draw not on our will otherwise I would try to play minimum matches against them .
    Should I continue following that advice but only against weaker opponents because I have improved a great against them by following it . I have not made a 21-0 but consistency have increased.
    Also tell me how should I improve this tendency to lose points suddenly.

#9 Heer, Feb 13, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  10. BThane

BThane Regular Member

I've lost 21-0 before. The guy I was playing matched up really well against me. I had a weak clear, so he served to the baseline. I then hit a clear short of the baseline, and he was very tall so he intercepted it even sooner and could always hit it to where I wasn't. Eventually I adapted and got some points off him in the second game by hitting my returns flat to the net, but still wasn't pretty.

If you aren't playing someone with a major weakness like I had though you'll have to get very lucky to get 21-0. Still, that mindset of treating every point as important is good to have. It's really hard to avoid shifts in the game though. Even if you play very consistently, your opponent may learn your weaknesses over time and improve their score as the game progresses.

11. visor

visor Regular Member

To OP, so if you can't get 21-0, then you missed your goal? In other words, do you really mean you're playing with a start of giving the opponent 20 free points? That is start off with match point down 0-20? If so, then that's foolish.

If you're aiming to keep your opponent in the single digit, then that would be a better goal.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

12. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    The "weaker" opponent is not always as weak as you might think. Your thoughts, the thoughts of other make them the weak guy. I suggest to take every opponent serious and never judge before. Even if you think it can be an easy run.
    I don't know what tournaments you play, but normally they are categorized. You normally don't play beginners and beasts in the same group. I wouldn't care too much about lost points. If you loose points due your play, respect and kudos to your opponent. If you loose points due your own unforced errors, work on them. IMO an overall court performance is for me more important than win-loss statistics. I improved over the years to know my strength and weakness as well and worked on my weakness and train them. Sometimes a temporary solution can cover them as well. IMO improvements got proven against real opponents.

LenaicM likes this.
  13. akatsuki2104

akatsuki2104 Regular Member

What I tried some years ago was to concentrate on every shot I play. When I plan to do a dropshot, I will try to concentrate on not making the mistake or really focus on my accuracy. If it were a lift, I will try to focus on the lenght, etc... I did this for every shot. As for the tactics, I just played by instinct.
    It helped me improve my accuracy.
    Don't be too concern about the score, especially when "it has to be" 21-0. You will only be more tense and be less precise.
    Hope this will help :D

14. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

I was reminded of this thread during our latest club league match day:

upload_2019-2-25_13-19-38.png

And needless to say that even if the winner was from our team, this hasn't been the slightest bit of fun for anyone involved or watching.

akatsuki2104 likes this.
  15. Budi

Budi Regular Member

I think the problem is in the mind.

Likes when u are about to do some difficult exam. U feel worried even when u already learn everything & prepare it for a whole week. U got stomace ace & forget everything.
    Or when u face a weaker player, u end up underestimate him & lower ur skill lv unconciously.
    Even a very skilled player is beaten by his own mind. So put up ur mind.

My mind set that i put in every aspec of my life is to never give up. Wont blame other for cheat but think it as a challange for me. Do all my best whatever the situation so i wont regret it later.

Long ago when i just know how to slap the bird pass the net, me & my friend 2vs1 got terrible loss 0:21/0:21. Facing a far better player than me didnt makes me small, it boost me to learn how to become like him. Now, im able to match him.

Even now when im team up with weaker player, my mind would think how i could win it with this situation. See my partner strength & weaknes on 1st play & also my opponent situation. Then think something on 2nd round. Well, it not always a good news but its fun to try it. But maybe it coz i really love to think (kinda my habit to like to play strategy like how it work, how to do it, how to make it work)

or when i play agains weaker opponent, i didnt think to lower my skill. But i think it time for me to train my non dominant skill. I mean, im back line smasher & thats my trait tho my friend told me im to much aggresive. I train my drop & net accuracy. So i do my best with my weakness & improve myself that way.

& my last example. In the court i play there is an serious official training for 8-18year old. For long we play there, we know & close to the coach there. Sometimes we play with the coach on his free time or sometimes he ask us to match agains their student. For young player with serious training, their skill is good (not like me who gain skill through self training, advice, & experience). 1st time i play, i feel so guilty coz we beat his student & they got punishment. Next time we play, i really dont want to win. At the end of the games, the coach told me that its ok to beat them, bully them, or whatever we want. The reason is to train their mental. Even when they had more skill than us, it mean nothing if they mentally down. So a young facing an adult would be enough to intimidate them & they need to overcome those feeling. If not they wont go further & being locked by his own mind. Day by day we play, they show much better skill & able to give us some hard time. & thats i realize that they had good skill but unable to unleashed it coz of his mental break.

DarkHiatus likes this.
  16. DarkHiatus

DarkHiatus Regular Member

Interesting thread - in the recent all England final, Morten Frost was discussing how Kento Momotas never appears to win games by the huge margins that LD/LCW used to go for.

Momota does not step up gears unless he really needs to, it appears. Perhaps staying 3-5 points clear of your opponent, whoever they are trains you to be more confident of your skills, regardless of the margin.

For example, if you happen to lose a run of points and now your (weaker) opponent is 3 points ahead of you, you should be used to the mental requirement to pull ahead again. To be confident of your skills, of which Momota seems to be - he is unfazed by being a couple points behind it seems, and perhaps this reflects in how he approaches each match.

17. akatsuki2104

akatsuki2104 Regular Member

I often play like that against some weaker opponent. I try to "control" the score. Sometimes you happen to make some unforced error so you need to concentrate in order to regain those points.
    I am now tougher mentally and can be more focus during my games (not all xD)

18. Borkya

Borkya Regular Member

teacher
    This is exactly what I do. I have a mantra "bird by bird" which is from a writing book, but means take it step by step. I usually use this mental trick when I am playing someone better than me. Someone who I just know will win. But I can get a point off anyone, so if I just focus on the one rally that is in front of me I have a much better chance of winning the point then thinking of the whole game and losing my nerve.

And to the OP what happens if you are super focused on 21-0 and then you lose one points? Wouldn't you lose your confidence again like you do when you are leading by several points? A goal of 21-0 is bad because all it takes is for them to get one point, and then your goal is gone and you have the entire game in front of you. So what would motivate you after you lose one point to them?

19. VanguardGrunt

VanguardGrunt New Member

I have been in a similar position before where I'll get too relaxed during a game and allow my opponent to catch up too much. The 21-0 goal is a great one to help you focus on each and every point, it's possible but not something to get upset over. I've done it once before but it would never happen in a serious game. Although it's great to use these kinds of goals, it could also be upsetting for the people you're playing against as they probably already know they're of a lower ability compared to you and everyone wants to have fun when playing so taking in the atmosphere is also important. I'm sure you aren't deliberately trying to upset people and are very considerate but it's something to keep in mind.
    A game I use in coaching which has a similar focus, is to have someone who is off court cut a deck of cards or use a random number generator so only they know what score wins the game and will stop the game when someone reaches it. This means the game could be over during first few points or could last longer but if neither player knows when the game will end it pushes you to think about every point separately instead of thinking about an end goal.
    Hope this helps

20. Heer

Heer Regular Member

Thank you all for so many suggestions. I hadn't expected that I will get about 18 suggestions. .
    I have read all the above posts and will try to make maximum benefit out of it.
    One thing I should have mentioned is that this target does not mean that once a single point is scored the target is missed. The only aim of this target is to reduce the foolish mistakes during match which can turn dangerous at last. If a point is scored , then I tries to not give more points. 21-0 is only because it is the lowest score to which the opponent can be restricted. Moreover , there is not any intention of huimilating opponents and to look good.
    I tried to achieve this target though it hasn't achieved yet but I have observed the following things -
    The opponent whom I had faced some months ago again met me in 2nd round. That time the match duration was about 1 hour and the score and match both were really tight. But now it took only 30 minutes for me to defeat him with a far more scoreline of 21-6 21-4 . His facial expressions showed that it was a crushing defeat for him ( like for everyone else ) but at the time of shake hands , he congtatulated me told that you have changed your game to a great extent. I won the tournament after that.
    As far as the 21- 0 is concerned , one can thought about it only at initial stages because after that even a match of 45 minutes is considered to be lopsided. Once I finished first game 21-0 but failed to reiterate it in the second one and the scoreline remained 21-0 21-2 (of course that was the first round).
    After its fixing , I have thrashed many players who were very close competitors for me in a time less than 45 minutes which includes lots of 21-4s and 21-3s. The problem of draining away of points in major matches has also reduced to some extent. Though it doesn't matter how early you finished the game because there is no bonus or something like that in badminton but these lost points creates lots of hardships when it is semi-finals or finals. But the score shouldn't build pressure otherwise it'll ruin the game.
    I thought had no one has achieved it but on finding I came to know about many matches like that in which the score is 21-0 21-0 in both sets.

#20 Heer, Mar 29, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2019