Shuttlecock Tipping

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by ChanKC, Feb 11, 2019.

1. ChanKC

ChanKC Regular Member

Hi all,

I wanted to ask this based on an experience I had during a league game.
    I was playing away so the opposition provided the shuttles for the match; we finished our first 2 rubbers and moved onto playing our third rubber. Right at the start of the game the opponents took a new shuttle and started tipping the feathers - this was not done in any of our other rubbers and it significantly changed the flight of the shuttle (dropped a LOT quicker and slowed it down). They also did not ask us before doing so and even when we asked them not to they did so anyway.
    Now naturally both we and our opponents had the same playing condition - we're hitting the same thing at the end of the day; but since we played our first 2 rubbers with non-tipped feathers we were mis-judging the flight. I couldn't find any section in our league rule book about this, but what are your opinions?

Personally whilst I was a little annoyed, I don't think they did anything against the rules, but perhaps this is a little unsporting changing the conditions mid-way in a match?

Cheers :)

2. phihag

phihag Regular Member

This is not regulated by the league rule book, but by the basic badminton laws:

As usual, in case of disagreement, get an umpire. This is something you should consult your league rulebook about, or if it's missing, ask the federation. Usually, you get an umpire:
    1. Qualified umpire from another club, in the hall (happens quite often at tournaments, I've been called multiple times)
    2. Qualified umpire from one of the clubs.
    3. Unrelated player in the hall (preferably, a coach or experienced player)
    4. Teamsters or other representatives of both teams jointly determine who
    Whoever is picked, they should follow the ITTO, which clearly state what to do:

ChanKC likes this.
  3. stradrider

stradrider Regular Member

The main problem that they have started to tip the shuttles without asking your permission - this is not allowed and actually bad sportsmanship... It is only possible to tip the shuttles if both sides agree.

In case they are tipping the shuttles without your agreement, the best way is to ask for a help from the tournament referee, he should decide what to do in your situation or just give you an umpire if possible. Or, if there is no proper referee in the hall, than ask if there are any umpires in the hall that playing, as mentioned by @phihag, you can always find a few people to help you out...

ChanKC likes this.
  4. ChanKC

ChanKC Regular Member

Thanks for your replies, you both confirmed my suspicions. The result didn't matter in the end but I'm glad I'm more educated now so if it happens again I know where I stand.
    Funnily enough they didn't tip the shuttles in the next rubber - they did it depending on who they were playing which makes the whole situation even more suspicious!

5. psyclops

psyclops Regular Member

Your understatement of 'little unsporting ...' does you justice. If it is a league match, then there will be the league rules that apply; most will explicitly state what rules are applicable, such as BWF, or that used by your national or regional association.

As you did finish the match even after asking them not to and they did, the results may stand. Does your league rule book state anywhere if there is possibility to file a protest/complaint? If so, use that to its fullest extent.

Other things to consider: When opponents use unsporting methods, there are sanctions that may be applicable. As no official (umpire, or referee) were present, it is up to you to lodge (or file) a complaint with the league. Also, if you decide to continue playing, let the opponents know, you will protest (file complaint, etc). Alternately, you could not continue playing when conditions are changed mid-way; this will force the league to take [proper] action. Also, do use the shuttle speed-test lines (530 to 990 mm from the baseline) that are usually marked on all bespoke courts around the world; the tipped, or a mussed-up shuttle usually will land in the 'slower' area, as you found.

6. phihag

phihag Regular Member

It may just be that the shuttles were of different speeds originally, or at least perceived as such by them.

In general, you want fast shuttles if you are very fast, and expect to play a very aggressive game: If you intend to smash a lot, faster shuttles are beneficial. In flat games (and clears in singles), the faster shuttles will make it easier to get out of the range of a slower opponent.

Conversely, if you tend to defend / clear more and your game is more safety&brains rather than attack&power, a slower shuttles make smashes easier to defend, and your clears and shots to the side won't go out all the time.