YONEX ASTROX 88S & 88D (2018)

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by T.O.P, Jan 16, 2018.

1. Swat

Swat Regular Member

Got a N9ii (black/blue/pink version) a while ago and I like the feel of it. I think it's faster and more easy to handle than any head-heavy 3U racket I have used. But I feel that maybe it's a bit soft. Maybe it's a thing to get used to, but I spent two hours yesterday on the court with a friends TK-F, which I felt was spot on on terms of stiffness. And I think we will be good friends after a little more playing.

I think what I'm after is a slightly stiffer N9ii and that 88D might be it. So your quote confused me a bit, because I thought N9ii would be faster and 88D more head heavy and slower. And since 88D must be stiffer it would suit a harder hitter better than N9ii.
    (...but of course stiffness vs player is always a question of acceleration, timing, length of swing and so on.)
    I'd be interested to head more comparisons between 88D and N9ii.

2. Cloudx

Cloudx Regular Member

For me it could be due to the weight difference 3u n 4u. Overall 88d is the lightest n fastest to me due to it's weight. I have a 3u ZF1 before and if u compare in the same weight then N9ii is the fastest and easier to handle due to the head design & slightly flexi shaft.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

3. Roy-UK

Roy-UK New Member

Hi guys, i have both a 3u 88s and a 4u 88d. Bought the 3u 88s first, but since buying the 4u 88d, I'm using that exclusively now. I'm surprised how well it smashes for a 4u and given that i play doubles exclusively, I may no longer have to think about 3u vs 4u. Have any of you been experimenting with strings for the 88d and seeing which strings work best? One of my badminton colleagues mentioned bg80 works wonders although his tension is considerably higher than I use (I'm only at 24 lbs at the moment). I'm currently using 62 fire which provide decent replusion althought i don't find it as easy to perform rear court cross-court slice shots (admittedly its more a case of getting used to the racket/strings). I think the li-ning no1 will work out better than the 62 fire at 24, but I'm giving the 62 fire a good go to make sure I come to the right conclusion. Perhaps this is more for the string forum, but this is more specific to what ppl think works best with the 88d (although I know this is also subjective).

4. Hans van Egteren

Hans van Egteren Regular Member

Hi I'm using BG80 @24 on my Astrox 88d.
    Absolutely love it.
    Lots of repulsion and cross-court slices are easy with this string.

Roy-UK likes this.
  5. Roy-UK

Roy-UK New Member

Cheers Hans, will give it a go :)

Hans van Egteren likes this.
  6. Hans van Egteren

Awesome. I am curious about your experiences once you have played with it.

7. Rizk

Rizk New Member

I've finally got my 4U 88D and been using it for 3 weeks now. The sales man suggested me to buy 88S giving my type of play but I chose 88D instead. The first 2 weeks playing with it for 2 or 3 times a week my arm was always hurt. But now after I get use to it the pain is completely gone. It's a great racket even for a beginner like me. However I still need to improve on my defense. Since most of the time I used headlight rackets, I have a hard time defending strong smash. The transition is also felt too slow because of the weight. But overall, this probably will be my gear for a next couple of years.

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk

8. Martynas

Martynas Regular Member

So as per discussion in another thread zfII head compared to 88d - difference is very small (~2mm longer) but narrower at the top astrox88d.jpg

9. Babar

Babar Regular Member

In terms of badminton racket frame this is not a small difference IMO

10. Martynas

Martynas Regular Member

Have you ever compared zfII to normal size head? difference would be not 2mm but more than 10 at least,
    so yes as88 a bit larger but just a bit, and much less HH - so much faster, and if to compare victor js10 head with as88, astrox head is a bit shorter but wider at the bottom and narrower at the top, so there you have it 'doubles redefined' - just very compact head...

11. Babar

Babar Regular Member

We can almost see the whole ZF2 frame on the bottom half, seems like a pretty big difference to me.

12. Roy-UK

Roy-UK New Member

I've got 2 88d's now, one with 62 fire, the other, bg80, both at 24lbs.

Used bg80 last night during a group coached session.
    In terms of control and feel, bg80 is superior (although thats to be expected).
    In terms of repulsion, 62 fire easily wins that contest (also to be expected), although there were some backhand smashes with the bg80 that surprised me in terms of the repulsion.

I think for now, i'll stick to using the 62 fire for matches and tough club games, and use bg80 at other times perhaps.
    Unfortunately I have an ongoing shoulder injury which at the moment is not affecting my play, but I suspect if i play a lot of hard games (and use bad technique in error) with the bg80 i may exacerbate it. I am doing strength training and am seeing a physio in case ppl are wondering.

I also have some packets of li-ning no1 waiting in the wings, so perhaps this may be the best of both worlds where the bg80 and 62 fire are concerned. Still not discounting 66 ultimax.

13. Hans van Egteren

Do you play feathers or plastics?
    I play with BG80 @24 with plastics and I like it, but after reading your reply I'm wondering how 62 fire would behave with plastics in terms of repulsion. Durability would probably be a big issue with ZM62fire and plastics.

#2493 Hans van Egteren, Feb 14, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  14. Roy-UK

Roy-UK New Member

I play with feathers. You'd get more repulsion however i doubt the 62 fire would last long with plastics. The general consensus is to go with a thicker gauge string for plastics, which means bg65ti/bg70 pro, bg80, zymax 69 fire, zymax 68tx. If you are very happy with bg80 and its not causing you problems personally I'd stick with it, unless you are wanting to experiment.

15. Hans van Egteren

For now I will stick to BG80 since thats is what I'm used to, but when competition season is over I definitely want to experiment with other strings and I'm thinking of trying BG70pro or ZM69 fire just to see if it makes a difference.

16. jlp2097

jlp2097 Regular Member

Anyone playing the 88D with NBG99? Would love to get some feedback on whether you think it fits the 88D. I mostly play plastics.

I recently tried 88s and 88d (both 4u, both with bg65, approx. the same tension), each for about a week. While the 88s gave me awesome drives, easy wrist smashes and okayish normal smashes without too much effort, the 88d was on another level for me. Had some great power smashes and awesome clears (!), also felt control is much better versus the 88s. Probably from the extra head weight and stiffness. The 88D 4u is much better in all regards for me then my current Brave Sword 12 3u. So going to buy it :-D.

Gesendet von meinem Moto G (5) mit Tapatalk

17. West204

West204 Regular Member

May i ask if it is the 3u or 4u ver of the tkf u tried?

18. Swat

Swat Regular Member

That was a 4U.

19. quangkevin

quangkevin New Member

Feeling perfectly playing AX77 4U and looking one more to replace just in case
    AX88D 3U or 4U will be the best choice everyone???

20. SimonCarter

SimonCarter Regular Member

If you are playing competition I would say get the exact same racket
    Otherwise i would advise getting the 4u ax88d except if you play mainly singles and feel that ax77 is very light.
    Best would be to test them both if possible.