Argh..

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Me-0w, Aug 4, 2005.

1. Me-0w

Me-0w Regular Member

Here's the deal. I'm a better endurance player than most other people in my age catergory. But they all know my weakness. I can only play a long, endurace game, clearing as much as i can, until they get tired, then i start smashing and droping.

But all the people in my age catergory know my weakness, since i'm no good at fast rallies and shots. Usually it's a matter of fastdrop, i lift, they attack clear to my backhand, and i do a bad slow, high drop, and it's over.

So what can i do, other than train harder on a fast game? Because i suck very much at intense, fast games.

2. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    Sounds like you need to work on your footwork and your readiness as it seems that you are getting caught flat-footed. Try shadow drills and also do 2 on 1 driills if you can.

3. loverush

loverush Regular Member

Could you not force them to lift instead or u lifting on a drop??
    Or lift it really high and deep to give u time for the back hand attack clear?

4. ChompChomp

ChompChomp Regular Member

try putting more attention on footwork + reaction....
    if we r able to get to the shuttle fast enuff we can do anything from there...but of cos its easy to say but hard to do hehehee:D

maybe after their drop u might return a net??
    or maybe a fast clear in the first place to prevent them from giving u a good drop??

5. Me-0w

Me-0w Regular Member

I have really bad reaction time =D.

6. i_two_net

i_two_net Regular Member

Try a couple of things;

1) Work on developing a sharp overhead backhand drop. It is a wristy action that drops the shuttle quick and close to the net and can be very effective.

2) Drop and smash a bit more throughout the game rather than just when the opponent is tired.

The idea is to keep your opponent guessing and off balance so that they have less opportunity to play to your weakness. If all you do is clear, then it is too easy to read and your shots become ineffective.

Cheers

7. Me-0w

Me-0w Regular Member

Thanks i_two_net, but that's so much to work on. Can you suggest the most important thing to work on?

I'm currently working on my footwork.

I don't smash a lot throughout a game when the opponent is fresh, because a lot of the people can block my smashes. When they can't then, i start smashing a lot.

The advice to keep the opponent guessing is great, i never thought of that.

I'm working on my backhand too, i'm always amazed by the adults that can full court clear and smash backhand.

8. i_two_net

i_two_net Regular Member

Ha ha, I can smash and drop with my backhand but can't do a full court clear either. Its not really a matter of having too much to work on but more like improving all aspects incrementally I guess. You mentioned that you had a poor backhand drop and that was being exploited, so I proposed that you try and work on that weakness first. If your opponent finds that you are killing him with backhand drops, maybe his options will become more limited.

Cheers

9. Me-0w

Me-0w Regular Member

Yeah, but i guess footwork is the most important.