Eom Hye Won and Kim Ha Na

Discussion in 'Korea Professional Players' started by Ricardo Lopez, Jan 30, 2011.

1. jjashik

jjashik Regular Member

OH, imagine if Momota was banned for life by NBA and he was not allowed to play internationally again! (or at least he was 31, or whatever similar age as the KBA rule).

2. event

event Regular Member

I don't think one need imagine. That case essentially exists for Kenichi Tago.

3. sen

sen Regular Member

Even though I like this idea, it will not succeed. Because most fans do not know about the requirement of players to enter tournament with the "approval" of badminton association. So even if most top players suddenly not playing, they probably do not know why.

The only way I think is if there is a competing body organising tournaments, so create a competitor for BWF.

samkool likes this.
  4. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    in a fair world, yes, it could be done. however, players cannot afford to do it in our real world and that won't change anytime soon... anytime!
    fan boycott doesn't matter, because...
    ...the tournaments host/organizer gets the gate attendance $ because they pay to host the tournament. bwf loses nothing from low attendance. btw, attendance in general is extremely low. watch the videos and count the fans.
    think again.

5. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    most athletes aren't aware of the rule either. they're used to their association handling everything.
    exactly!

6. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    then it becomes counter productive to the ma's. after they sunk all the money into ld/lcw/etc. (millions) they don't want them beating new players they are $upporting. would you want that if you were an ma? ma's don't care about the 'sport', they care about themselves and their investment. unfortunately that's more fair than it sounds.
    the ma/player split depends on the ma. the splits can range from 0% to 100% for the player.

7. jjashik

jjashik Regular Member

Right, but Tago did not have the success/promise of Momota. Surely the impact of both players being banned would not be equal.

8. jjashik

jjashik Regular Member

I'm not sure why you are repeating what (the member) event stated and I agreed regarding MAs' self-interests as if you were enlightening us (unless you posted simultaneously). What was really up for discussion was how to get BWF to change its policy in this case despite the self-interests of the MAs.

Another angle would be from the IOC, if they were to agree that the exclusion of players by arbitrary decision of MA was against the principle of fair play and the olympic spirit. (The hypothetical unjust situation is the MA saying to a player: "You're no longer on the national team, and we forbid you to compete int'l!") Under IOC pressure, BWF (AND MAs!) would do anything to remain in the Olympics, as we saw in the London debacle in WD.

By the way, I'm not saying that it is never unjust to prevent a player from competing outside. Just that it requires justification, which no one seems to be able to understand or articulate in Eom's case.

Can you enlighten us as to which country/MA has a policy where the player gets 0% of the winnings or even close to it? Otherwise, how is your statement in any way helpful?

9. jjashik

jjashik Regular Member

(bold added by me)
    Really? So fans don't follow on instagram (or other social media)? They don't read badminton articles on Badzine or The Star or other publications? They don't go on badminton central to discuss?

So creating a new competing league in a monopolized market where the governing body is responsible for all the major int'l championships (meaning Thomas/Uber/Sudirman, WC, OG) along with major tournaments (Super 500/750+) is easier than changing this one policy?

10. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    you want change? get directly involved. otherwise you're asking the same ?'s others have and will again in the future. i was involved for many many many years, which is why (as you can probably tell from my tone) i speak with a combo of anger/frustration/ridicule at 95% of how the sport is run. i'm also resigned to the fact it won't get better anytime soon w/ the powers that be in place.
    ioc to bwf is the same as bwf to its members. ioc can't/won't police every olympic sport and all their federations. can you imagine what that entails? that's not their reason for existence anyway. it's about $. ya think futbol should be booted for the fifa scandal? that'll never happen. too much $ involved. even russian athletes were able to compete after their nat'l doping program was exposed.

eom's issue and the london debacle are not the same. bwf, and the sport of badminton, was never under threat of being booted out of the olympics. ioc to bwf: 'that was a retarded/idiotic system for medal qualification. change it. you looked stupid.' bwf to ioc: 'you're right. we ****ed up. we'll change it.' ... despite all the press to rile up the viewing populace, it pretty much boiled down to what i said.
    sad thing is justification is not enough. yes, eom is getting screwed, but nobody can do anything about it except kba, or eom can take them to court like ko sung-hyun did.
    https://corporate.bwfbadminton.com/about/membership/ ... do a little research on each of the nation's culture and you can pretty much figure it out.
    if you found my reply incomplete and/or unsatisfactory...

11. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    if you get the right people with the time & $ to do it, yes.

12. jjashik

jjashik Regular Member

My sincere tip of the hat for your stance that you've been there, seen it, lived it and disliked it. Many find their own cushy spot and ride (and even push) the money and power train.

Again, agreed that money is the primary driving force. I am very familiar with the cycling world, which along with track & field has a tainted reputation. (Cycling to its credit has done more testing than possibly any other sport, though not always successfully.) The powers of UCI knew well of Armstrong's secrets (and wanted to close their eyes) and allowed him to continue because $$$ was rolling in.

Well I missed that news clip. All that I saw was "you bad, bad players, failed the sport of badminton for such unsportsmanlike conduct and have put our sport in peril". If BWF owned up to their mistake for the format, great! (And I would appreciate seeing any public acknowledgement. links?)

13. sen

sen Regular Member

Most don't follow. Some of my badminton playing friends, they only watch free-to-air TV and sometimes they went to see live at the stadium but don't go to forum or youtube or instagram. I don't have instagram and I don't follow badminton players twitter or facebook

14. sen

sen Regular Member

Recently I even got social media phobia. I uninstall facebook and twitter from my mobile phone

15. event

event Regular Member

I hardly think that social media phobia is likely to become a pandemic. In any case, mainstream journalists love a scandal. A boycott such as jjashik described would certainly make the news. It may not generate as many headlines as a famous player getting a divorce or cheating on his wife, but it would make the news. Even social media phobes can turn to someone beside them in the stands and say 'where are Sindhu, Marin, Axelsen, and Momota?' and be enlightened by someone with a phone.

16. event

event Regular Member

I think samkool was paraphrasing, and possibly paraphrasing actions that spoke louder than words. If you recall there were some calls to investigate coaches' roles as well but in the end, the only thing we see evidence of the BWF having done is the post-round robin draw, which they had already been using in the Thomas and Uber Cups, starting in 2010, and which I believe was implemented in the SSF by 2013.

17. RedShuttle

RedShuttle Regular Member

Interesting! EHY is playing XD with Ko Sung Hyun at the Australian Open. Is she out of the dog house?

18. Desireless

Desireless Regular Member

Even more interesting that they beat national team members CSG/SSC...again.

19. RedShuttle

EHY seems playing regularly now with entries in Canada, US, and Japan tournaments. Canada Open is on YouTube for all courts!

20. RedShuttle

My goodness! Just noticed that Eom Hye Won is playing XD with Ko Sung Hyun at the Demark Open.

They are getting the Court 1 (YouTube) treatment on Thursday, against the Malaysian pair of Tan Kian Meng and Lai Pei Jing.

stanleyfm and Cheung like this.