Lee Chong Wei ( 李宗伟 )

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by tbleong, Jan 8, 2007.

1. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Since LCW spoke mixed English & malay, if you guys need clarification abt certain parts pls ask. For us Msians, naturally we understand

2. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Watching and playing badminton
    LenaicM likes this.
  3. Master

Master Regular Member

Chong Wei will only go to Tokyo Olympics if he’s a contender

KUALA LUMPUR: Lee Chong Wei will not go to the Tokyo Olympics in 2020 if he thinks he is there just to make up the numbers.

The 36-year-old, having claimed three silvers previously at Beijing 2008, London 2012 and Rio de Janeiro 2016, believes qualifying for the Tokyo Games is not an issue.

But what matters more is whether he will head to Japan on top of his game.

I will be 38 by then. It’s going to be tough to fight for the gold medal, but I will try my very best because it’s always my dream to become an Olympic champion,” said Chong Wei as he addressed the media for the first time since he was diagnosed with nose cancer in July.

But again, it really depends if I will be able to get back to where I left off previously."

If I can perform like I did when I won the Malaysian Open and reached the semi-finals of the Indonesian Open (before the cancer), then I could possibly see myself contending for the podium."

I’ll only compete in Tokyo if I’m a medal prospect. Otherwise, I won’t bother going because I don’t want to go there for a holiday."

I might as well let the youngsters go and let them gain some invaluable experience and be better prepared in the next four years.

Despite being absent from competition since July, Chong Wei still remains in the world’s top 10. He’s now ranked eighth, slipping just six rungs from the No. 2 spot he held before going for his treatment.

He is expected to slip further before the year ends. But the one-year Olympic qualification period will not start before May 1 next year, hence time is on Chong Wei’s side to slowly make up for lost time.

If all goes well, Chong Wei said he is targeting a return at the All England – where he’s a four-time winner – next March.

For a super fit athlete like Chong Wei, it’s no surprise that he’s already itching for action.

Chong Wei underlined his determination to get back to the court by revealing that he had already started doing some light workouts in the last two weeks.

I’m trying to regain the muscles that I lost in the last couple of months. I have started lifting weights and did some light workouts to regain my fitness,” said Chong Wei.

As a start, I’m doing it three times a week. It certainly felt good to be active again. It’s not fun sitting at home and doing nothing but just rest.

Chong Wei hopes to be back on court next month if he is given the greenlight by the doctor.

I intend to come back as soon as possible, maybe next month, but I don’t know when. I don’t want to rush into things,” said Chong Wei.

I have to listen to doctors as they know my body better than I do. This is no mere injury that I encountered in the past – this is about health."

I’ll only come back if the doctors say it’s okay to do so."

And when I come back, I’ll see if I can cope. If I can manage, then I will slowly increase the intensity but if I struggle, then I’ll have to reconsider my decision (to play competitively) again."

Badminton is no longer a priority now. My health matters more than anything else.

Source: https://www.thestar.com.my/sport/ba...only-go-to-tokyo-olympics-if-hes-a-contender/

No stopping Lee once he sets his mind on something, says Misbun

KUALA LUMPUR: An extraordinary player for his generation.

The national men’s singles badminton squad are inspired by Lee Chong Wei after his successful fight against cancer and his attempts to fight his way back to the court.

Men’s singles head coach Datuk Misbun Sidek said that once Chong Wei has set his mind on something, there is no stopping him till he reaches his goal.

I have said it before – when something has been planted inside of him, he will continue to fight for it until the end,” said Misbun.

And I believe that the happiness he feels on the court is the only thing that can cure whatever pain he has to face.

He added that Chong Wei has all the experience and knowledge to get back into shape, and the only thing the team can do now is to help him when needed and to be patient with him.

As a senior with vast experience, he knows how to make a comeback and regain his condition, be it to get to intermediate level or advanced."

As coaches we just have to be patient in our demand of him and preparing the modules for him.

When asked if he could find his best form before the cancer, Misbun replied that Chong Wei’s heart is now stronger than before, after such a challenging phase.

Many in his condition would be sad and want to give up, but for him he is an extraordinary player for his generation and I wouldn’t be surprised if he regains his form.

Chong Wei’s national teammates are also inspired by his unbreakable spirit.

Taiwan Open champion Lee Zii Jia said he has the utmost respect for his senior who made a brave decision to return.

It’s not easy to make such a decision because it could be a bit risky and dangerous – so I respect his mental strength and I’m ready to welcome him back,” said Zii Jia.

And as players we have to learn from his fiery spirit to make a comeback, even after so many problems.

Soong Joo Ven, who finished runner-up in the Hyderabad Open in September, said that they have to learn from Chong Wei’s example.

This is very good news for Malaysia because he is a hero for our country and as his teammate, I’m looking forward to his return."

If he can come back from cancer, he has proven that as players, as long as we don’t give up, anything is possible.

Source: https://www.thestar.com.my/sport/ba...ce-he-sets-his-mind-on-something-says-misbun/

KB@TB Em likes this.
  4. Master

Master Regular Member

Chong Wei making plans to return to normal training in a week or two

As of yesterday (Monday), I was made to understand that Chong Wei had a discussion with coach Hendrawan on his training plans, and that he’s ready to return to the court anytime from now,” said Chin Chai.

Not so soon, but I think it would be this month ... possibly in a week or two.

If all goes well, Chong Wei said his first return to competition would be at the All-England in March.

[Source]

Sundis, Tec07 and stanleyfm like this.
  5. Master

Master Regular Member

Chong Wei delays return to court until January

Lee Chong Wei has delayed his return to training until January as he has yet to get clearance from the doctors...

I’ve been constantly keeping in touch with them and they have reminded me to take it easy and not to rush it because this is not an injury. It takes time."

It’s also better for me to come back in January and start afresh. Besides, the national team will also be going on a break during the year end.

My target is the All-England, but I can’t really be sure I will come back by then,” he said.

My desire is there. But I can’t force things to happen. Everything depends on my condition as I’ve been out for almost five months now since I underwent my treatment in July."

It’s not going to be easy and I’ll take my time. There’s still time left because the Tokyo Olympics qualifying period will only start on May 1.

[Source]

Inspirational Olympian

[​IMG]

Many must be wondering why Lee Chong Wei wants to play badminton again after being diagnosed with nose cancer. Yes, he is recovering and is in positive spirits but can his diminutive frame cope with the physically demanding sport - much less enable him to play top-flight badminton again? Chong Wei tells StarSport’s Tan Ming Wai the reasons behind his comeback.

Here is the full story of him ---> https://www.thestar.com.my/sport/ba...hong-wei-wants-to-play-badminton-again-after/

6. Master

Master Regular Member

Mew Choo stands by her man as he returns to pursue Olympic dream
    Tuesday, 1 Jan 2019 by Rajes Paul​

KUALA LUMPUR: Former women’s singles shuttler Wong Mew Choo is standing by her man Lee Chong Wei as he continues the pursuit of his Olympic dream.

The Malaysian badminton icon’s plan to qualify for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics went off track when he was diagnosed with nose cancer in July but after a three-month treatment in Taiwan, the 35-year-old has recovered and is returning to give the game another shot.

He’s expected to return to light training in the second week of January, which will be restricted to gym exercises and fitness drills.

The 35-year-old Mew Choo is beaming with pride over Chong Wei for his determination during the darkest hour of their lives.

I was a player before and I understand why Chong Wei wants to play badminton again. He’s on the road to recovery and he has my full backing to play,” said Mew Choo, who won the women’s singles title in the China Open in 2007.

I don’t want him to push beyond what he can do but I don’t want him to have any regrets too. He can attempt to play again as long as he stays healthy.

Mew Choo and Chong Wei have two boys – Kingston and Terrance.

Chong Wei did his best during the difficult times and I’m just so proud of him. He’s mentally strong."

Our family have seen him at his lowest but I saw his fighting spirit as an athlete on the hospital bed – he never gave up."

He fought his way back up through the painful treatment,” she said.

Mew Choo admitted that she felt helpless in the beginning.

It was such a hard time. He was broken, I was devastated and there were the kids. I’ve seen death in my close circle because of cancer and naturally, we were terrified. We didn’t know what to do, where to go,” she said.

But once we had the knowledge and direction on what to do, it all fell into place. There are advanced treatments for cancer, we were positive and kept encouraging one another."

It’s all good now and I hope, the New Year will be a better one for Chong Wei,” she added.

[Source]

Simeon, Justin L, Sundis and 2 others like this.
  7. Master

Master Regular Member

Slow-Lee but sure-Lee
    Tuesday, 1 Jan 2019 by Rajes Paul​

Lee Chong Wei is all smiles after returning home from his latest visit to the doctors in Taiwan during the Christmas holidays. He has been given the green light to train but he has to take it slow for at least another three months. He has to forget about making a comeback at the All-England. For now, his plan is to make a return at his favourite tournament – the Malaysian Open in April – to give his home fans a treat. The three-time Olympic silver medallist was in high spirits as he spoke to StarSport’s Rajes Paul at his residence about his renewed hope for the New Year.

StarSport: Can you update us on your recent health review in Taiwan?

Chong Wei: I was scared when I went to Taiwan again during the recent Christmas holidays. I had to go through another round of scans and blood tests. Fortunately, the cancer has not spread. I’m good. The doctor has given me the green light to train but unfortunately, it cannot be strenuous. I can only push myself 30% of what I’m capable off. I’m okay with that, it’s a good start. I’ve to go back to Taiwan again after the Chinese New Year break and let the doctors decide whether I can go full-time training.

StarSport: So when do you plan to start your light training?

Chong Wei: I will not start immediately ... I’ve to fullfil my duty as a father first. I’ll register my son Kingston for kindergarten on Jan 2 (tomorrow). I’ll probably start in the second week of January. I’ll focus on exercises in the gymnasium. I need to regain my fitness level. I’m not too worried about my skills ... it’s there and it’ll be not too difficult to brush up.

StarSport: How hard will it be to start all over again?

Chong Wei: Actually, I was still playing badminton even in Taiwan a week before my treatment. My friend had a private badminton court there and I used to sweat it out. I still continued with exercises in the gym at my condo through the third week of my treatment before my body was just too weak to do anything. And when I returned home, I resumed gym workouts. Physiotherapist Sandra (Fiedler from National Sports Institute) has been helping me here in KL. I’ve been doing weight exercises. I’ve a gym at my residence.

I know it’ll be tough to start again because I don’t know how my body will take it when I push myself but my mind is fixed on wanting to qualify for the Olympic Games. Some have asked me to quit altogether but some have encouraged me to play on ... I’ll regret it if I don’t give it a try. At times, I just take my racquet to bed, just to have the feel of it again. I’m excited but I will not ignore my health – that’s the priority.

I’m careful with what I eat too. I take more vegetables and have cut down on seafood.

StarSport: So, if all goes well, when will you start to compete?

Chong Wei: My first international tournament should be the Malaysian Open (April 2-7). I won it for the 12th time last year before my illness, it’ll be nice to start there again. I hope my ranking will not drop further, though (currently he is at 23rd spot). I’m also looking at competing in the Sudirman Cup in China (May 19-26). It will be the first major tournament to offer Olympic qualifying points.

StarSport: During your absence from the sport, how do you see the battle in the men’s singles event?

Chong Wei: Fortunately, while I was going through my recovery period, I watched badminton tournaments – the Asian Games and all the Opens in China, Hong Kong and Denmark. (Kento) Momota of Japan has changed his character and his playing style, he surely is the player to beat. He, however, got tired towards the end of the season. He will be the favourite at the home Olympic Games but it all depends on whether he can handle the home pressure. Viktor (Axelsen)’s form has dropped and I think it has to do with his foot injury (before the All-England in March). Maybe, he rushed into the game. Lin Dan (of China) has also struggled – he suffered nine first-round defeats. But like me, he’s also pushing himself to qualify for another Olympics. I think it’ll be quite amazing if both of us can make it to Tokyo.

StarSport: During your absence too, top mixed doubles pair Chan Peng Soon-Goh Liu Ying have quit the Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM). Top men’s doubles shuttlers Goh V Shem-Tan Wee Kiong may join them soon. What is your thought on seniors turning professionals?

Chong Wei: It’s their call, and I can’t stop them. My only advice to the players is to be comfortable with their decision. They must know what they’re doing and it should give them peace. There are risks and consequences but if they’re okay with it, then we should give them the support to try it out.

I’ve had the intention to turn professional before but not now. There will be no Lee Chong Wei if not for BAM. I’m grateful to them and I want to contribute back. If I ever end my career, it’ll be under the BAM banner.

I’ve seen so many changes in BAM over the last 19 years, presidents and coaches have come and gone, programmes have changed – but I’ve adapted myself through it all. It all depends on the players really. Sure, there are pressures as a national player, there are expectations from fans ... but I enjoy badminton. I like to set records, push myself to the limit. I thrive on challenges ... it brings out the best in me.

StarSport: Players are struggling to live up to your standard. What advice do you have for them?

Chong Wei: I miss all the players at the national team, we keep in touch. I hope the players will not be too hard on themselves. All of them are working hard and have sacrificed a lot. If not, why do they sweat it out seven hours a day? China are struggling to find another Lin Dan while Indonesia have not found another Taufik (Hidayat). It’ll take time and not all players can make it in a short time ... and some may not make it at all. I hope BAM will have an understanding of their players. And the players, who are not able to cope with the pressure, should discuss with the management. We should work together.

StarSport: While you were recovering, Lee Zii Jia is the only player to win an Open title in Taiwan. What do you think of him?

Chong Wei: He brings back good memories. My first international title outside of the country was the Taiwan Open (in 2004). Four Malaysians made it to the semi-finals that year – we had the depth. That’s how it all began for me. I hope Zii Jia will continue from here to become a world-beater too. He has the right attitude, determination and hunger for success. I’ve trained with him. It’s easy to win one or two titles but the challenge is to maintain his form, and I hope he will step up.

I hope Zii Jia and other players will have good communication with coaches – that’s important. The players must trust coaches and be open to them. And coaches must not do their own thing too. Over the years, I’ve had a good rapport with my coaches – if I’m unhappy, I’ll talk to them. I hope our players will be open too.

StarSport: What’s your New Year wish Chong Wei?

Chong Wei: I’m hoping for a better year. I want to be in good health. I hope everyone will take care of themselves too. I hope to spend quality time with my wife Wong Mew Choo and sons, Kingston and Terrance. It’s a new Malaysia and I hope we will continue to work together – not only in sports but in all areas.

[Source]

Simeon, Justin L, jyeung and 7 others like this.
  8. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Exactly, no instant time to grab success (especially for the youngsters) and very tough job to maintain consistency. To be a world beater, it's consequence to have huge pressure and high expectation from badminton fans.
    Good luck for his comeback in MAS Super 750, really looking forward to it :)

9. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

10. mohans

mohans Regular Member

Baddie lover and yuquall like this.
  11. freeter

freeter Regular Member

12. Master

Master Regular Member

Lee Chong Wei's concern is on getting the green light from his doctor to compete as he will do his routine check-up next week.

Health is my priority. I’ve been entered for the Malaysian Open but the decision to play depends on my doctor when I visit him next week. I’m keeping my fingers crossed,” he said.

[Source]

swsh and garra like this.
  13. ownz.uno

ownz.uno Regular Member

Absolutely health is his no.1 priority. If we see him playing again, that a bonus for badminton lover around the world.

14. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Obviously, for me certainly, the air of expectation of LCW's return is high. Somehow I'm optimistic his comeback will be a success, how much I'm not sure but it won't be a failure.

I can sense the drive, the will , and the self-motivation to go on doing what he loves best and excels in.

LenaicM likes this.
  15. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Watching and playing badminton
    Even if he is too unfit to have any chance in Malaysia open he should consider to go there and aim for a first round loss just for the ranking points which he will desperately need for later.

16. minions

minions Regular Member

He has to defend his title there. His Malaysia Open points are at stake.

17. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

is LCW playing at SingaporeOpen?

18. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

His draw is more than overwhelming. Srikanth Kidambi (first round), Chen long, Jan O jorgensen, Jonathan Christie, Kento Momota and so many good players are in the same draw. Atleast he can try to gain match practice against a quality opponent . But his health is priority no.1. He can't neglect that. Hoping for his return asap.

19. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

just read in badmintoncn.com that he has pulled out of the Malaysian Open