Gideon Marcus Fernaldi / Kevin Sanjaya Sukamuljo

Discussion in 'Indonesia Professional Players' started by Espírito Santo, Apr 29, 2015.

1. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

He should continue with his antics. Badminton so much more fun with him doing what he wants.
    What can badminton sells? Even the commentator always talks about him.

sen likes this.
  2. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Those weren't criticism. Asking him to imagine breaking his legs and couldn't play badminton anymore? That's criticism? That's pure malice. Those should really think what they are saying. Of course Kevin minded that post. What do they know about getting injured and not able to do anything anymore? That's the most depressing and the scariest thing that could happen to anyone and especially an athlete. Speaking from personal experience, it's not even funny.

If anything ever happened to Kevin, I would never forgive the poster.

BojepJoe and Master like this.
  3. Thunder Hand

Thunder Hand Regular Member

Whoever playing in MD (sometimes even in other discipline), somehow the commentator always mention kevin :rolleyes:

4. sen

sen Regular Member

Yeah. Who watches WD matches when all the players are so polite and emotionless ?
    I think BWF attempts to make the duration shorter is not really the way to make more viewers, they should let the players express themselves more as long as they do not harm the others.

yuquall and Cheung like this.
  5. wade

wade Regular Member

BTW what do guys think they need to improve next year ? I think they need to learn how to variate the pace more, it would be very useful especially playing in slow hall. for gideon, I'm still hoping he would add some variation to his smash so it's not becoming too predictable. I don't think I've ever seen him playing steep half smash from the backcourt. I also notice gideon almost always playing it straight whenever he play a backhand drive, I think he need to playing it cross court more, kevin and rian does this a lot and it's actually pretty effective. for kevin, I don't know if you notice it but I feel like he tend to make a mistake when he try to play this soft block on his backhand side with his forehand, and when he succeed sometimes I also feel the block are not close enough to the net so it would get countered, hopefully he work on that. and last probably try to improve their flat defense.

#2225 wade, Dec 15, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
  6. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

I think, first of all, what they really need to improve next year is their fitness condition. However they improved their technical skills, if they keep getting injured or fatigued it won't help them a bit when it comes to winning matches. Hard to play with accuracy if you are not fit. Their flat defense were actually quite good when they were in top condition.

I felt that for the past few tournaments, their play has become more crude in most matches. Rather than playing their best game, they had just been playing to survived their matches. Can't really blame them, their schedule had probably been one of the busiest of all since they almost always pulled through the Finals even in slow conditions. Even Zheng/Huang retired or withdrew from a couple of tournaments. Minions have to do their utmost to keep their condition uninjured for the least, Olympics qualification is near.

Having said that, I also feel that Marcus needs to improve his game in slower condition. He is clearly the weak link in slow conditions. Whether it is his attacks, reaction speed, or defense. Kevin has been made to do double duties as in both front and back court to compensate for Marcus' lack of penetrating attacks so to say.
    And for Kevin, I just hope he could be more patient and not to get too much emotionally involved in the heat of the game. I can understand his frustration and impatience, but he needs to control his emotion better.

To be honest, I can't really gauge what their optimal performance is at the moment. AE was what I think one of their better (if not one of the best) form. Need to see them in their top condition to really know.

7. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Yeah Gill always talks about him. just look at the last group match. and yes its a big news if someone can beat minions.

Though i dont think there is much they can improve. They already won 8 titles plus AG , improve on what.

8. ownz.uno

ownz.uno Regular Member

I hope Indonesian fellow can give meaning:
    Tengil
    Greget

9. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

I tried looking up using google and other translation.

Results from google Indonesian to English translation :
    Tengil -> Tengil
    Greget -> Gossip
    In other words, Google is useless.:D:D:D

Other dictionary:
    tengil
    (Java) swell. bulge. tending to be sarcastic in a hurtful way.
    greget
    tense from restraining pent-up emotions

I don't know if those were really accurate though.. I think I can quite grasp what "tengil" is (from his other "tengil" act video posted before), but I have no idea what "greget" means. And I really have difficulties reading posts in Indonesians. So many abbreviations and informal/slang words that couldn't be found in any dictionary.

10. sen

sen Regular Member

Tengil closest meaning is obnoxious

Greget has many meanings, depending on the context. When the sentence is "mainnya kurang greget " it means playing not with 100% willingness to win(or holding back in giving 100% effort)
    If the sentence is like "bikin orang greget ", it means making others angry

There are other meanings

#2230 sen, Dec 16, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
    Cheung likes this.
  11. melon94

melon94 Regular Member

after someone sent that dm I think he would even be more antagonist on court, just my guess :)

12. wade

wade Regular Member

"I don't want to force it anymore, better just rest because there's gonna be a lot of tournaments next year" said gideon.

"we got 9 titles this year, it's a good result for us, better than last year. next year I hope we could be the world champion".

13. badlove

badlove Regular Member

Court Cowboys
    tengil means mischievous, mischief
    greget means exciting, gregetan means excited, thrilled

#2233 badlove, Dec 16, 2018
  14. badlove

badlove Regular Member

Court Cowboys
    reigning number 1, two times BWF player of the year in a row, smashed MD title winning records in a year, entertaining lightning fast furious plays, why don't they be talking about him? :D

Cheung, minions and Thunder Hand like this.
  15. Thunder Hand

Thunder Hand Regular Member

I thought I'm the only one who noticed this. I think his awareness on court are not that great so it's understandable that he just playing it straight most of the time.

Right :D

#2235 Thunder Hand, Dec 16, 2018
  16. rhoder

rhoder Regular Member

Just my 2cents

I feel like the main core of this combination lies on Gideon’s stability i.e his defence and smashes have to be reliable enough. Only when Gideon was stable enough (as we saw in 2017 and early 2018) could Kevin take risks near the net and utilise his drives and crouch defence well to get counterattacking opportunities and outright winners. I noticed that Kevin has been recently unwilling to go for these type of shots this year (with the exception of a few times and in AE and AG) and I think part of the reason is that he feels that Gideon may not be able to cover in case he takes these chances and the opponents manage to get it back (no offence to Gideon but I can feel the frustration by Kevin sometimes especially notable in their recent match against Li Liu). When Kevin goes for it nowadays, he is missing a lot more than he used to (partly due to loss of form but I think partly due to rust from the lower frequency he is going for such shots).

Agree that Gideon has to really vary his smashes more. Li Liu were always able to counterattack on his straight smash by lifting crosscourt to his backhand and passing Kevin, not a good sign

Hopefully Gideon gets well soon and works on his basic play because I feel like he had really improved coming into AE18 but that form has faded as the year passed. Of course Kevin has some things he could work on but that is for another discussion. All the best for 2019!

Cheung likes this.
  17. badlove

badlove Regular Member

Court Cowboys
    nice analysis!

but the last game was due to super slow and freezing hall condition, even big smashers like zsw all their smashes looks like slowmo, add that to gideon's pulled neck and half of his head is hurting, i won't see that as gideon's best day.

olympic will be played in summer around july-august, playing environment suitable for their fast plays, hopeful minions stay injury free and keep their fitness tip top till then. Looking forward to root for them live in Tokyo, ticket hunt is from spring next year and certainly dont wanna miss them in action for their hunt for gold.

18. minions

minions Regular Member

Minions have an outstanding performance throughout the year. They win 9 titles, including AG gold medal. However, they end the season with the most undesirable way. Marcus is injured in WTF. As a result, they have to withdrew.

They have won 18 SS/WT500+ titles. Hope they can win more titles. I will be okay if they are no longer dominating as long as Fajar/Rian and Ahsan/Hendra can back them up. What I want from them the most is the WC title. I hope they can win it next year.

Next year, we may see them break the record here and there just like they usually do. They are pretty much the record-breaking machine. Here are the records that they may break next year.
    - Jung/Lee's 18 SS titles. Minions have equaled Jung/Lee's MD title record as a pair. It is just a matter of time to surpass Jung/Lee's record.
    - Hendra's 19 SS/WT500+ titles. From all of INA MDs, Hendra win the SS/WT500+ titles the most. Marcus has 19 titles, while Kevin has 18 titles. Just like the above, it is just a matter of time.
    - Natsir's 24 SS/WT500+titles. Her SS/WT500+ title collections are the most out of all INA players. If minions still dominating like always, they can surpass this record.
    - Zhang/Zhao's 27 SS titles, the most from any of the double pairs. It is a tough task for minions. But, let's see if minions can surpass this record or not. It is difficult to be able to dominate again, but they have proved that they can continue to do so.

19. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Staying injury free has to be the priority!

wade and yuquall like this.
  20. minions

minions Regular Member

Yes, that's everyone's top priority.