Arrogance in Badminton...

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Rob3rt, Oct 30, 2018.

1. hyun007

hyun007 Regular Member

There are those who want good games at their level or higher only. Everyone has their own reason/s and hence I am not going to debate about it.

For me, I don't really care so much. If I am playing against lower skill guys, I do not play at 100% but focus on techniques and placement with less smash. It is a win win situation for all.

KHALID81 likes this.
  2. FeatherDance

FeatherDance Regular Member

Yes. I've had people walk out when I enter the court although my level was not too different then them. But I play a simple game with less high risk, fanciful shots with the intent to minimize mistakes and increase consistency. A boring game of footwork and rallies. So they saw me as amateur even when they sometimes get basic doubles formation wrong (when partner drops, not going to the front etc). It's also because I speak English and am not their typical mandarin speaking player.

On the flip side, I do get annoyed sometimes when people seem to move and try less when they partner me. They suddenly stop smashing and covering the court and expect me to do all the work. Then when they play against me they go all out with higher pace and smashes. My pet peeve is that accusatory glance when you didn't help cover their side of the court. Like when an opponent just did an attacking clear and your partner is glued to the ground and looks at you when the shuttle flies behind him. There was one time I just had leg day at the gym and this happened. Maybe they think I'm young? I am not young anymore but I do look young.

So I just mirror my partner's effort. If he starts taking a bit of initiative I will too. If he just doesn't want to attack despite being set up I will just start lifting lazily to opponents where I could've smashed.

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk

ucantseeme likes this.
  3. hyun007

hyun007 Regular Member

If someone makes you work harder, why not take it as a training and work on smashes and movement speed?

There could be reasons that they changed the way they play with you.

As you said you love rallies and hence that could means you played more defensive than attacking game which is not their style and it will changed to rally if they don't smash well or if they shuttle goes high to you. As you said they are fast and furious but you prefer rallies.

Also, maybe those they have been playing with could have play with each other for a long time and understanding each other style more than you do.

Don't do the accussing glance, it will not help you but caused people not wanting to play with you or walk out. Try to have a laugh more and high five(like what those professionals are doing) it will cool down any tension. You should also work on your partner prefer style of play. Doesn't have to be fancy although need to be more deceptive or else you will be too predictable.

I don't think it is bad to work on your partner prefer style, it makes you a more versatile player.

Once you start winning more with or against them, that will also change their view on you.

Another thing is communication, club players tend to go in and play and not talk about game plan or tactic.

Winning is a nice pleasure but enjoying the game is even more, especially when you are moving and hitting well.

#23 hyun007, Nov 20, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
    phihag likes this.
  4. FeatherDance

Because I'm no longer young. I play badminton with fatigue from my day job and they should not expect that of me just because I have better footwork.

I never said that. They prefer to do fancy shots and make mistakes. If they played fast and furious (with correct formation) I would have no qualms.

Tell that to them. They are the ones doing it.

You mean the style whereby there is no proper formation or strategy, and where he just about blames you for everything? Even if he fails to retrieve a shuttle just 2 feet in front of him?

You're wrong. Only when I purposefully lose games with them do they try harder. Without which they think it's free wins without much effort when partnering me. So that's what I do nowadays, I just play horribly so that my partner ups his game.

5. BadBadmintonPlayer

BadBadmintonPlayer Regular Member

You should be working on your mindset! Double is a team sport and both players are responsible. If it doesn't work, not only one player is responsible.

There are so many simple reasons why it doesn't work with some partners. Maybe he's afraid of making mistakes when he plays with you and he's generally nervous. Communication and positivity is very important. When he then plays with a friend he feels free and can really give 100%. But that doesn't mean that he doesn't try that together with you. The way you write here, it might not be fun to play with you and have fun playing against you.

In my opinion you are always respected if you are friendly and give 100%. It's perfect if you can make your partners strong too.

phihag likes this.
  6. FeatherDance

Exactly, not just one player is responsible when you're playing doubles. This kind of mindset that places the entire responsibility on one's partner isn't going to work. Nothing wrong with my mindset since I've always tried my best since day 1. But I no longer can do 10 jumping smashes in a row to make up for 2 players, not worth the strain and injury at this point.

So I just relax and don't try too hard nowadays. I'd say at 70% effort which is still decent.

7. BadBadmintonPlayer

BadBadmintonPlayer Regular Member

But maybe that's the problem right now? In the beginning you took shuttles that your partner should take and now they assume (of course) that it will continue to be so.

8. Borkya

Borkya Regular Member

teacher
    I’ve found this too sometimes but not in an arrogant way. Like in a “my partner is stronger so I’ll let them take the bulk of it.” I think that’s kinda common, but if that same person is lazy when you play and then energetic and working hard AGAINST you then I can see why that would piss you off. Sounds kinda like a clique or a group and they aren’t welcoming to outsiders which is a real shame.

I had a group that rejected me it when I was a beginner. I improved and now can beat all of them easily and they STILL reject me. its a terrible attitude but it happens. Hopefully you can find a better group of people that play because the love of the game, not just to inflate their egos.

9. FeatherDance

Yes, so I'm teaching them that in doubles they should work hard too. But they just look at me stunned sometimes.

10. ownz.uno

ownz.uno Regular Member

Maybe because you're from Malaysia and they expected you to jump smash like LCW...

11. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

I can see I’m still not ready and mature enough with my badminton technique and experience to handle a partner. Seems like doubles can be a little bit of trouble here and there. I rarely played doubles so far but when I did, I already experienced some funny attitude from my occasional partners (and scratched my racket :eek:).

I’ll stick to single for now and until I meet a partner I can get along with and play consistently with. I met some higher level opponent in singles and while they beat me flat I didn’t feel any lack of respect or arrogance.

12. jctai

jctai Regular Member

The best thing about playing in Malaysia is that there are a lot of badminton clubs littered all over. If you don't like a particular group, just leave and join another group. But you'll eventually realize that problematic individuals are everywhere no matter where you play. The sooner you realized that, the sooner you'll be able to move on and focus in the game regardless of who you partner or who you play against. Occasionally I became confrontational when I perceived un-gentlemen act or attitude on court (even my own partner) so that I won't have to carry it beyond the court. A friend of mine once told me that if a player for whatever reasons doesn't want to play with or against you, then you are the one having more control over them then they do.

Cheung and ucantseeme like this.
  13. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    Really depends who you play with. Not everybody match with everybody playwise. I really disagree on this mindset that everybody can play with everybody doubles. If somebody don't position right for the situations, plays the wrong shots, put me under pressure very often with his selection, can't understand how I create and built the game, neutralize any created advantages when I bring him to shine and rush into shuttles which are coming infront of me he is very responsible for this. I'm just responsible to tell him how I feel about this. If he can't understand or try to change, he can play 3 sessions with me until he is burned for me.

For a serious partnership I'm a bit more relaxed and communicate more/put more effort into it. But for an random Joe - No. I also had on wednesday the experience that I played with a guy the very first time, which was the first time at my club and we worked well like a swiss clockwork. We never seen before. The simple reason was that we both are attacking minded players, know who to position well and understand the partners intentions without saying a word. One of the best doubles games this year which I played.

14. Obito

Obito Regular Member

I would say badminton is a double edge sport both double and single. If players level were different or without proper training, it would turn into an unplayable game.
    Other thing is that when one was better than the other in term of technique and everything, one could humiliate the other real easy. When you hand this opportunity to wrong person, yeah it is pretty easy for them to become arrogance.

ucantseeme likes this.
  15. Heer

Heer Regular Member

Badminton is not as arrogant game as football or even tennis . Arrogance arises when a peeperplays with lower level players and defeats them easily . In some cases , it can be also due to the state of training due to which arrogance comes into play . I have also noticed it when in our academy , a newcomer defeated approximately all the players of his division in such a manner that they could not get bwbett of him even in one single game . Hereferred them stupid fellow , big looking children and moved arrogantly , as if he waa trying to show them how much they need to learn with him ,to the next level ,from where hereturnedheto be defeated .

16. InvincibleAjay

InvincibleAjay Regular Member

Badminton Coach
    Depends on many aspects, the demographics in that area, the club, the people there, how the club is run, etc etc.

I have certainly seen different forms of arrogance in badminton, here are some examples and I believe none of these are valid, there is no place to be an arrogance jerk.

1) Ex international pro player joined my club when he was retired from playing pro for many years (he was in his 50's now). However he had this arrogance that he is better than all in my club that he took to belittle the weaker players. I reminded him we all start somewhere and if he want's to be a selfish idiot, go find another club to play for. His argument was that our club was weak and hence we were not attracting strong players. I replied, okay so I have spent on average 30 hours per week voluntarily running and promoting my club, attracting people, offering free coaching to all members and also offered discounted memberships to those from disadvantaged backgrounds, what have you done for the club? His reply was, no one asked him!! I was like, get over yourself, you are not superior than me or bigger than the club, if you want to help the club get better, just help. Don't be arrogant enough to think you need to be asked first before you will help. Well he threw his toys out of the pram and duly left! LoL Good riddance, people like that are poison to a club.

2) Some county or good club players refusing to play with new or less experienced players during club nights, only wanting to play 'tough' games amongst people their level. I get they need good practice but being part of a club, you all have to do your bit and help the people coming up get better by playing with them and also offering advice for them to improve. I will play with anyone, I have no qualms about the games I play.

3) An arrogant partner that blames you when you make mistakes but doesn't take responsibility when he/she makes mistakes themselves. Grow a pair and take ownership!

Kindest regards,

-Ajay-

Quote of the Day
    When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it.

ubootsg, Cheung, Heer and 1 other person like this.
  17. Heer

Heer Regular Member

Ye
    Yes ,you are absolutely right . There shouldn't be any need for arrogance in badminton . No matter how good you are and how easily you can defeat your opponents . Everyone starts from nothing . If we can help out others from what we've ,we should provide others with it .

18. seanc6441

seanc6441 Regular Member

The arrogant players are usually the average/intermediate level players who think they are better than they are, or who play to win and not to improve their game. The new players are usually excited to play, the better players at a mid-high level are usually pretty respectful of other players and have a deneanor which is more about quite confidence than boasting or unfriendly attitude.

Of course this is just my anecdotal observation. You can get all kinds of personalities at different levels :)

I will say that 90% of players in badminton are very respectful and friendly sometimes. I've played other sports (namely football) and the attitude towards the opponent is not as friendly sometimes, it's much more agressive in nature towards the opponent on average and can be just as clicky.

Especially in professional level badminton, it's very respectful in general, club level games are always a mixed bag, as these players mindsets are not always the same as better players who focus on self improvement than on ego in a club environment.

#38 seanc6441, Dec 13, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
    Cheung and ucantseeme like this.
  19. Heer

Heer Regular Member

Yes iI' completely agree with your opinion . The person about whom I have talked above also returned defeated by the higher level opponents . He later on realised his mistake and went on playing with the players whom he had already defeated till he find himself able to compete with higher level opponents .
    In my opinion , there shouldn't be any hesitation in playing with lower tank players for some time , no matter you defeat them by 21-5,21-3 or so . It can be beneficial for both .

20. seanc6441

seanc6441 Regular Member

Exactly. Also it's easy to play vs lesser players and still have fun. You can make rules for youself like 'no lifting' or 'no smashing' to make it more of a challange for youself. You can practice your backhand smash if you want lol. I understand not wanting to play only vs lesser opponents or you will never improve, but sometimes it's ok.

You help others like better opponents help you to improve. Full circle :)

ubootsg and Heer like this.