Recomendations for very lightweight neutral to head light racquet?

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Slade, Dec 10, 2018.

1. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

You have received a lot of detailed explanations why your personal impression of the topic might not be fully correct and coming from people who are actually working with kids for years. What your basic physics are missing is the effect of the head mass in relation to the head speed.
    The main issue here is not to pick a racket that is the easiest to swing around, but to choose a racket that makes it easy for them to control it and learn the right technique. It's incredibly hard to correct wrong techniques once they have settled and an extra light racket is inevitably provoking to build up wrong techniques in your swing. For example, it makes it a lot easier to hit the shuttle just by snapping the wrist - which makes the racket appear quick and effortless to generate power, but will be limiting the game development at a certain point. Not speaking of the higher risk for injuries.

I'll leave it at that for now and gladly join again when we reach a point at which we are discussing actual racket recommendations. Just for the record, so far there have been zero that match your targeted specs.

offbad, ucantseeme and speCulatius like this.
  2. Slade

Slade Regular Member

3. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    This 5U Voltrics/Astrox are not in the area which mimic a 3U racket. I don't understand why it must be light by using a crowbar to get a light racket? You are right that a light racket can be swung faster, but only if the player is physical able to do this and that's a much different story.

Try by your own to throw something very light several times as fast as you can with a controlled motion. How does your motion and arm feel? Motion hard to control and the arm slightly sore, right? Now you have the answer why we are against this. You are maybe right with the physics, but completely ignore the abilities of the younger players and how they rally.

This lead to a more obstructive handling than a supportive when games can be won with good clears, dropshots and high serve instead of superfast driving and thunderous smashs which must be needed to defended like a wall. Due the low height of the players much more shots must be taken overhead. Please count this in for the choice.

I really recommend to watch a game of average 10 years old players and how they rally and score. A good high serve and a clear are the major weapons for their game. Some tactical basic for doubles on top can they make great players for their age.

Just my 2 cents from training kids for several years, even when your theoretical physics book tell you something different.

4. Slade

Slade Regular Member

Sure but you'll also have problems trying to throw something too heavy. Obviously there is a practical range to consider, not too heavy nor too light.

5. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    Make totally sense to include these case for average modern rackets whose head weight never ever exceed 50g. I'm out too. BTW In the 70's badminton was an expensive kind of sport. Children could only started badminton training on the moon due these heavy rackets made of metal and wood.

Sadly we have this case. Even more sad that somebody want to be right by theory without any experience, but still opens a thread to ask for help. Can't understand why the heck the racket must be light and don't see the reason for a 10yo girl, which a few users and I explained. :rolleyes: Good luck.

6. Slade

Slade Regular Member

I'm sorry you don't appreciate honest questions and discussion. I've found it helpful and you've all steered me away from the superlight 58 gram Apacs. And I do have some experience since I've been playing on and off since I was a kid and am now in my 50's and I've instructed a few people, including kids, and improved their play. I started playing with wood racquets with steel strings at school, luckily there are better options today.

I have to point out that other people presumably with experience also think a light racquet is for beginners so it's not as if I've come up with some insane concept that doesn't make any sense:

https://www.badmintonavenue.com/products/yonex-astrox-fb-badminton-racket-2018

7. speCulatius

speCulatius Regular Member

In my opinion, yes.
    You're either looking at the wrong part of physics or missing the understanding of an elastic collision (what's pretty close to what's happening when hitting a shuttle). Please look at the examples of elastic collisions of objects with different masses. With a lighter racket, a higher speed is needed to achieve the same velocity of the shuttle. For many kids, hitting the shuttle while using pronation is easier when it's slower. Also more headweight means that the player will feel better where the head of the racket is at that moment.
    Read it again. It's designed for beginners (flexible and moderately head heavy) if they are looking for an extremely light racket. ;)

ucantseeme likes this.
  8. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    We have posted a bunch of arguments why. That's honest enough. If somebody ask for help but don't appreciate it and know everything better we all waste our time. Why did you opened this thread? *honest question

Serious, you use a article/marketing text of a shop/brand (which is biased to sell and make money) as an argument? smh

9. Slade

Slade Regular Member

Very good points, well explained.

10. Slade

Slade Regular Member

To learn something, which I have. I like to understand things for myself and not just immediately take advice which I don't fully understand, especially when it seems to contradict my own experiences.
    Presumably they want happy customers so would give good recommendations. They sell many different rackets so I'm not sure what they would gain by lying about this one.