Some questions regarding umpire and service judge instructions

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by mobin2012, Sep 7, 2017.

1. mobin2012

mobin2012 Regular Member

Chemical Engineer
    Hey folks....

I need some help about these statements :
    1 :
    Check that players’ equipment, bags,
    rackets, water bottles, towels, etc. are in
    boxes or baskets near the umpire’s chair.
    Nothing is to hang out of their boxes or
    over the A boards. It is however ok for a
    spare racket to lie on top of their box.

What does it mean by "A boards"?

2:
    Complete the score-sheet, if you have used
    a paper copy, after leaving the court. (e.g.,
    adding up the shuttles used, time elapsed
    for the match, etc.).

Paper copy means regular score-sheet?
    3:
    Informally (or formally if flagrant) warn
    players for leaving court without permission,
    except during intervals, where there is:
    Undue delay in play;
    Throwing sweat onto the court surface

What is exactly this statement is saying?

4:
    A player should not be allowed to
    protest or dispute a call OR argue with a
    line judge without at least an informal
    warning.

What is exactly this statement is saying?

5:
    Service Judge Instructions:
    Work as a team with your umpire.
     Discreetly assist the umpire with line calls, double
    hits, keeping score, etc.
     At the end of each game, wait for the «game» call
    before standing up.
     After the umpire’s announcement walk to place the
    interval indicator (if one is used) in the middle of
    court under the net and then go and stand beside
    the umpire’s chair facing your chair on the side of
    the referee’s table, unless advised differently.

what does it mean ? " Discreetly assist the umpire with line calls, double hits, keeping score, etc. "
    what does it mean?" stand beside the umpire’s chair facing your chair on the side of the referee’s table, unless advised differently."

6:
    service judge instruction :

Do not place one or two shuttles on mid court under the net at the end of a match.

What does it mean ?

Thanks ,

2. phihag

phihag Regular Member

When you write what does it mean without saying what part of the statement you don't understand, I'm not sure I can provide a good answer. If possible, say which words you don't understand. But here's my best try:

Advertisement boards. This is only relevant if the players put their stuff behind the advertisement boards instead of into boxes.

Some lower-level (international junior / national) tournaments don't have boxes because of missing space or missing boxes. Instead, the will either designate a zone for the players to put their stuff in (which is a headache for you since you'll have to remind the players about 50% of the time not to wander off), or, better, mark it with line tape, which usually works pretty well.

Yes. Most higher-level tournaments these days will give you a paper score-sheet that you fold and maybe use to record the toss, and everything else is done via a scoring tablet.

If you have never used a tablet, here is a demo of my software. You may be using a different software, but it's likely to look quite similar.

When a tablet is used, you can throw away the paper copy you got afterwards (or keep it as a souvenir). In most cases, the result is official automatically. If something exceptional happend (card/injury), then the full score-sheet is printed out afterwards, and you and the referee sign it.

During the tournament briefing, the referee will tell you all the details.

Informal warning = You saying something. For instance, just saying the name of a player in a slightly reprimanding tone will usually be sufficient to get the player back on court, or something like Carolina Marin, stay on court.
    If a player is more flagrant, for instance goes to the coach for an extended strategy discussion between rallies, use formal vocabulary, such as You must not delay the game. If that doesn't help, you escalate to yellow or even red cards.

Some players will, after a line or service fault call, go to the line judge/service judge and try to start a discussion in the hopes of influencing the line judge. At lower-level tournaments, line judges are often kids/players from the hosting club or federation, so that may actually work. Even a qualified line judge may be intimidated if a world champion tells them their decisions are unfair. Even if the line judge stays neutral, the opposing players and spectators may have the impression that the line judge was influenced, especially if a call goes the other way shortly after.

Therefore, you as an umpire must prevent such behavior, or if it occurs, reprimand the player. If you see a player talking, going to, or otherwise contacting the line judge or service judge, immediately call them to you and tell them You must not influence the line judge. If the behavior continues, be very strict about this. At the second time, I'd at the very least point out that a card will be coming soon.

Always support your fellow technical officials as much as you can!

Sometimes, the service judge has a better view than the umpire, for instance when the shuttle falls on the line the service judge sits on, or a player touches the shuttle on the side of the body where the service judge sits. Sometimes (hopefully rare), there may be disagreement about the score (typically after an IRS challenge).

In these cases, the umpire may miss something - for instance not call fault. If you are the service judge, in these situations you should help the umpire. Look at the umpire and signal your opinion. For instance, if a player claims the opposing team hit the shuttle twice and you saw that it was only touched once, a slight shake of the head when the umpire looks at you can help the umpire.

Similarly, if there are no line judges, you may be discretely showing your call (for instance with the right hand on your knee for in or at 90° for out) if the umpire is unsure. You can discuss some hints beforehand with the umpire, but most should come naturally.

In between games, as a service judge, you walk to the umpire's chair and stand besides it. This regulates whether you stand to the left or the right of the umpire's chair.
    If the referee's table is to the left of the umpire, go to the left of the umpire.
    If the referee's table is to the right of the umpire, go to the right of the umpire.
    During the time you are standing there, stand close to the umpire's chair (within about a meter), and look straight at the service judge's chair. In other words, do not go and chat with fans or so ;).

After the match, at some tournaments, service judges used to place shuttles under the net, for the next players to warm up with. Since this looks unprofessional and induces the players to start warming up during the toss, service judges don't do that anymore.

Therefore, as a service judge, after the match has finished, make sure to collect the shuttle, and then simply walk off.

#2 phihag, Sep 7, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
  3. mobin2012

mobin2012 Regular Member

Chemical Engineer
    Thanks phihag , Your answers were all great and really comprehensive. thanks again...

Your software is great and fully functional , helped me a lot.... but am I suppose to use it just through internet or we can use this on a local network as well? is there any apps which I can install it on a tablet or something...?

It has many functions which I need to work more on it to get the most out of it....

4:
    A player should not be allowed to protest or dispute a call OR argue with a line judge without at least an informal warning.

I didn't understand the term " without at least an informal warning"

would you please elaborate on this part?

#3 mobin2012, Sep 8, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
  4. phihag

phihag Regular Member

If you are using a modern browser (i.e. Chrome on Android or Safari on iOS), then the software gets stored on your device automatically and is available without an Internet connection (within limits - some functions such as importing tournaments/team matches from tournamentsoftware.com are of course only available if you're online).

In the browser menu, you can select Add to Homescreen or similar to add it just like an app. At the moment, this is quite ugly though - you'll need to set a name and the logo will likely not be helpful. Sorry!

An in-appstore app version for Android in iOS is planned, but unlikely to be finished before 2018, since the current focus is on adding features for the deployment in the top German, Swiss and Austrian leagues, none of which would benefit from having an app.

This just means that you as an umpire must at least warn the player informally if they talk to a line judge (or the service judge, or overly protest to you). At least an informal warning means that you can show a card as well.

Here are a couple of example situations:
    1. A player says "Darn! That looked in to me" in a friendly tone. A good umpire may just call the player's name, or leave it at a stern look.
    2. A players says "Hey, that was in!" right in the face of the line judge (and not in an overly friendly way). A good umpire will immediately call the player to the umpire's chair and caution You must not influence the line judge.
    3. A player shouts "Are you blind?" right to the face of the line judge. The umpire will immediately call the player to the chair, say "You must not influence the line judge. [Player name], Warning for misconduct.", and show them a yellow card.
    4. A player walks right in front of the line judge and says "Hey idiot! Who bought you?". The umpire calls the player to the chair, shows a red card ([Player name], Fault for misconduct) and calls the referee to discuss whether the player should be disqualified.

Sdrqaz and mobin2012 like this.
  5. mobin2012

mobin2012 Regular Member

Chemical Engineer
    Thanks mate.....you`re so cool...

6. Yebo Tzu

Yebo Tzu New Member

Please send software to evans@kojoyeboah.com as we would want to try it out with our schools championship

7. phihag

phihag Regular Member

I'm sorry, there is really nothing to send: The software is web-based. You can navigate with any web browser in the world to https://aufschlagwechsel.de/bup/ . That's it.

Note that this is only the client part. You're likely looking for an integrated solution. I maintain an open-source project for use at tournaments, but it's not at the level yet where it's installable without programming knowledge, sorry.

kwun likes this.