Gideon Marcus Fernaldi / Kevin Sanjaya Sukamuljo

Discussion in 'Indonesia Professional Players' started by Espírito Santo, Apr 29, 2015.

1. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

You should. :) They need to qualify for the Olympics first before anything. And anyway, playing more in the beginning of the year means playing less during SC or WC so they should have more time to prepare for the big ones. Hopefully Marcus is not going to take paternity leave this year like he had for his wedding last year.:D

2. wade

wade Regular Member

How I forgot this lol :D yeah let's just hope they're not losing momentum after some break like this year.

3. mantoufist

mantoufist Regular Member

Oh right... completely forgot that:p would be detrimental if he chooses to take leaves

4. Master

Master Regular Member

Limited edition...

stanleyfm likes this.
  5. badlove

badlove Regular Member

Court Cowboys
    Off court they are humble and nice tho (many corporate contracts using them as their face for public relations speaks volume of their highly selling image ), on court maybe just for psy war with opponents. :D

They just recently signed as brand ambassador for one of the biggest government owned bank in Indonesia, Bank Mandiri. :)

6. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

just pay the money, it is nothing for them or pbsi anyway........

7. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Now, now :)

Marcus had bad luck in the past few years? I don't think so. Quitting the team probably was the best decision he had ever made. Ever since he quit the team, Markis Kido took Marcus under his wing and together they had risen up as high as top 8. Then the team asked him back, paired him with Kevin 3 years ago.

Kevin wasn't unwanted. He just didn't have the potential to be a successful single player no matter how much he wanted it and he knew it himself. If he was really unwanted by the coaches, they would have kicked him out of the club instead of giving him another chance to prove himself in the double discipline. He proved them right.

There is no way you can stop people from commenting or how they think unless maybe if you point a gun at their head :p:p. Let's just hope the athletes could turn all the criticisms and negative comments into a motivation and something to reflect.
    It's tough to be athletes these days, not only they have to face the pressure from the opponents or winning the tournaments but they have to deal with the media and public too. People tend to conveniently forget that even top athletes (or famous people) are basically just ordinary humans like the rest before being exposed (willingly or unwillingly) by the media.

mantoufist and stanleyfm like this.
  8. minions

minions Regular Member

I know that quitting from the national team was the best decision from Marcus. But, before that, he didn't get to prove himself. He was basically "left out" before that.

Regarding Kevin, I don't think you read about the link I provided. Well, it doesn't matter. But, do you know that Kevin was ANGRY when he was transferred to double discipline when he was a child. The coach, Herry IP, said that. I forget where I found the source.

Yeah, it's tough to be athlete. They have to face tons of criticism if their result or action doesn't meet people's expectation. Jonatan is great at this. He screenshots all of the criticism and negative comments in order to motivate him.

9. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Yeah its much tougher these days to perform than say 20/10 years ago. Probably because of Media and Lifestyle , its just an added pressure but what they get is fame and much more $ taking into relative inflation as well.

Corporates just want them to be or stay at WR1. Their job is just as athlete not businessmen, its not going to be forever so they gotta make as much as possible and win as many title when they are at the top.

I hope Gideon doesnt have neck pain from last year happen at GZ again. I think its something to do with sleeping position?

#2109 Yoji, Dec 6, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  10. wade

wade Regular Member

"The preparation is more or less the same, for Kevin is about maintaining the conditions, maintain his hand muscles, don't let the injury recur, while Marcus focuses on improving the quality of the defense. if we look at it, especially against Chinese players, Marcus is most often being targeted by the opponents," said Herry IP, the head coach of MD.

"We have already evaluated this, until this morning the progress has been seen, there have been many improvements in terms of defense".

11. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Yeah.. but both are Kevin and Marcus' personal point of view. But in professional world, personal stuff don't matter. You can't let your personal feelings or pride hinder your growth. You can be angry, disappointed, felt mistreated and all but, to be honest, who really cared?

Marcus and Kevin, before being no.1 in the world, both were merely two out of hundreds or probably thousands of players in Indonesia. These aren't like social clubs or teams. Coaches in clubs or national team aren't your personal coaches that you pay to take care of you or to cater your wish. If the players were not happy with the coach decision, they were always welcome to quit, no one would have stopped them and they would be replaced straight away. No hard feelings. Things go on.

If anything, both should be grateful with the opportunities presented to them and of what they have achieved. Now they are no longer replaceable. The team would definitely beg them to stay :D:D

12. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Kevin attending PanasonicGobellAwards tonight..

Does he even needs to come to GZ? lol

13. wade

wade Regular Member

He's becoming more like celebrity now isn't he ? :D

14. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

What's he doing there? Getting an award? o_O

15. wade

wade Regular Member

Probably ? don't really know either

16. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Well, he might have been angry, but it was doubtlessly right, don't you agree? He is way too short for really successful singles imop, under that threshold where you constantly need one more step compared to more suited players like LD/LCW...also his reaction time and drives shine even more in doubles

17. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

The main factor making it harder to compete are the higher number of competitors and the improved training. Still could be improved though, imop, if you compare it to top sports like (American) football for example

18. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Yeah luckily these days especially MD is more about skills and mentality on the court which can hardly be trained. If you look back at the past where the points played till 15 back and forth serve ( match can technically be endless), i think there needs a lot of physical stamina. Maybe at that time, not that many tournaments like now but imagine playing back with those systems 5 matches a week up to 10 for 2 weeks. System like this many are already injured, i wonder what will happen with that system.

19. minions

minions Regular Member

Umm, his height is the same as Ginting (170 cm) if I am not mistaken. But, I agree that his skill sets are more suited in doubles.

20. minions

minions Regular Member