Badminton in Japan

Discussion in 'Japan Professional Players' started by gaDEfan, May 6, 2007.

1. kurako

kurako Regular Member

National Team A coach Nakanishi obviously felt the need to excuse the performance of TakaMatsu and Endo/Watanabe at the Syed Modi Championships. In his tournament report, the following reasons are given for their losses (https://www.badminton.or.jp/2018/sid/index.htm):

TakaMatsu: A back injury sustained at the Fuzhou and Hong Kong Open flared up, and they were unable to continue the match.
    [Nakanishi does not go as far as to mention which of the two has sustained the injury.]
    Endo/Watanabe: The succession of matches played by Watanabe resulted in fatigue. He was unable get into condition prior to the match, and the pair were not able to play as they had hoped.

Hmmm.... I look forward to seeing some miraculous recoveries at next week's All Japan Championships.

It was interesting to note that Nakanishi compiled the report. Usually, self-financed players are accompanied by their corporate team coach, and the team coach is responsible for writing up the tournament report. (Indeed, Komiyama Hajime was specifically listed as the accompanying coach.) But, there again, Nakanishi used to be affiliated to Unisys, both as a player and coach.

Michael V likes this.
  2. Cunning Linguist

Cunning Linguist Regular Member

It was Takahashi with the back "injury". To be fair, she's been wearing a back brace for quite some time now, she often could be seen taking it off after games. As far as excuses goes, this one is really solid. No one will be able to prove she wasn't in pain.

3. fanyy

fanyy Regular Member

:D Everyone knows Unisys's intent for Syed Modi. Really no need to make public statements with excuses.
    As for TakaMatsu, the last time they won a title was in Korea, almost 2 months ago. The semis in Fuzhou was the furthest they've advanced. Let's hope they'll be in form do well in Japan or else the "effort" to get that place in the WTF may not end up looking too good :cool:

4. badminton fancier

badminton fancier Regular Member

Takahashi is struggling with her back injury within this year, which seems to get worse recently, showing in her performance in recent matches. Hopefully, she can recover soon.

5. visor

visor Regular Member

And that's the problem with this pair... it's success is too dependent on Takahashi doing all the hard work raining smashes from the back because Matsutomo (unlike Matsumoto ) is utterly ineffective in attacking when pushed to the back.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

#625 visor, Nov 24, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
    fanyy likes this.
  6. kurako

kurako Regular Member

This is information garnered from a blog, hence not official. But, attached to the blog is a list of prospective players to be utilised by the various corporate teams in the upcoming S/J League season. These prospective players are usually officially employed by the corporations/organisations after the season is finished, i.e., as of April 1, 2019.

If the list is to be believed (and I think it is), then both Koga Minoru (Waseda University, Inter Collegiate Games Champion) and Mizui Hirari (Futaba Future High School, Inter High School Champion) have been signed on by NTT-East. I half-anticipated this, but I am absolutely thrilled. NTT-East really needed this type of boost. :D:):D Happy, happy, happy....

mantoufist likes this.
  7. jyeung

jyeung Regular Member

received_542154446234579.jpeg Hirari Mizui on the right at 2018 World Junior Championships. Daughter of Hisako Mizui, Olympian in 1992 and 1996, I was told.

#627 jyeung, Nov 24, 2018
    Cheung and Master like this.
  8. jyeung

jyeung Regular Member

36175998_476581712790698_2427686416742875136_o.jpg Minoru Koga at 2018 Canada Open. 36137423_477497366032466_5373607255323181056_o.jpg

Saru, kurako and Master like this.
  9. Cunning Linguist

Not her.

10. jyeung

jyeung Regular Member

45654765_581712485610953_7793531300362584064_o.jpg 45899594_581712315610970_7281014227320438784_o.jpg View attachment 190772
    Thanks for pointing that out, here's Hirari's match with Wang Zhiyi during the Mixed Team semi final to advance Japan to the final. Unfortunately for Japan, it was Wang who closed out the match for China to force a 5th GD match, which China took with their superior pair. Btw, watching Wang played Mizui was like watching Chen Yufei vs. Akane Yamaguchi:)

#630 jyeung, Nov 24, 2018
    kurako likes this.
  11. kurako

kurako Regular Member

The list of corporate team affiliations for players graduating from universities/high schools next March is officially available on the S/J League 2 site at http://www.badminton-league.jp/pdf/2018/player_list.pdf?20181116.

The list is in Japanese, and I do not have the time to translate all of it at the moment, but if anyone wants to have anything clarified, please ask.

As mentioned above, NTT-East have probably done the best by securing Koga Minoru and Mizui Hirari. Tonami and Yonex are not employing anyone at all. Unisys is only picking up one female high school graduate, Takahashi Nana, and Saishunkan, too, is only expected to welcome one newcomer, high school graduate Fukumoto Shiena. In contrast, Hitachi Info and Telecommunications Engineering seems to be aiming for a large-scale reinforcement by employing four university graduates.

12. Cunning Linguist

Natsu Saito is really going to Act Saikyo. :confused:

13. suetyan

suetyan Regular Member

Surprisingly Saishunkan and Unisys are not signing up any new blood. Especially Saishunkan. They really need new blood right now.

14. kurako

kurako Regular Member

Yep, as far as Saishunkan is concerned, the 2018 tally is four defections versus one addition. They still have quality players on the roster, but it is going to be revealing to see how well the team performs in this year's SJ League.

I think all of the women's teams will have wanted to get hold of Mizui Hirari. The fact that her mother previously coached at NTT-East may have helped tilt the scales, but I would be interested to know the content of these type of negotiations.

15. Sdrqaz

Sdrqaz Regular Member

Does anyone know a good source for AJC results?

16. kurako

kurako Regular Member

17. fanyy

fanyy Regular Member

Did FukuHiro or Akane say anything interesting?
    Too bad they are no longer on the same team.

18. minions

minions Regular Member

Any info about the draw of All Japan Championship? The draw that I saw on twitter is only in Japanese. I can't really tell who is who except a few top Japanese players.

19. kurako

kurako Regular Member

The draw took place on the 26th, and yesterday the qualifying rounds were played. No big surprises here, except that it is interesting to note that Yamaguchi Akane featured in the WD category. She got through both of her qualifying matches, and has managed to advance to the main draw, the first round of which is being played today.

Actually, as far as R1 is concerned, the WS part finished this morning. Probably due to fatigue left over from yesterday, it took Yamaguchi three games to beat a relatively unknown opponent, ... and she still has her WD match to play. Her aspiration this time around apparently is to enjoy herself, and not to set too much store on victory.

All National Team A WS players have advanced to R2, although Okuhara had a close first game against a university student, winning by 22-20. With regard to Team B, Nidaira (Tonami) and Suzuki Yuki (Waseda U) have been defeated. And, although she is no longer on the national team, Hashimoto Yui retired.

Tomorrow's WS highlight may well be Okuhara vs Mizui Hirari. Yamaguchi will be playing against Takahashi Asuka.

https://twitter.com/BadmintonPublic

#639 kurako, Nov 27, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
  20. minions

minions Regular Member

Oh, thanks. WS category finished earlier than I thought. I guess there are some kind of order which category that will be played first. Looks like NO and AY really take it easy, no need to go all out.