Chinese Badminton

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by Justin L, Aug 31, 2013.

1. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Yes, I agree, just that I tend to be a bit critical or demanding of players who I expect more from, esp when CHN WS is still not out of the woods yet. Nevertheless, this group of CHN WS young guns looks very promising to me, except lacking the requisite experience generally, at varying degrees, and each of them have their own shortcomings, weaknesses and vulnerabilities to overcome.

But I'm hopeful they will get there one by one at their own time, the sooner the better.

2. djake

djake Regular Member

Dr
    Chinese WS players are very promising. Especially with Wang Zhiyi and Zhou Meng graduating from the junior ranks soon. Maybe some of them should be encouraged to play doubles eg Ji Shuting, Chen Xiaoxin, Wei Yaxin. Can’t see room at the top for all of them in WS.

3. Banuka

Banuka Regular Member

I agree with u . Womens doubles is possibly in a crisis for china

4. antssantss

antssantss Regular Member

Retired
    Ren Pengbo has one weakness and that's stamina. In my opinion thats the easiest skill to master. Its usually the talented ones that fail in that catrgory. Wellplayed S Dey but i hope to see more of R. Pengbo in future tournaments. He is exciting ti watch amidst all the mediocre junior MS.

5. Banuka

Banuka Regular Member

Han yue plays similar to wang yihan. She has strong legs but lacks upper body power. She also lacks a good powerfull smash.

6. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

In my opinion, Ren Pengbo is a better player than Subankhar Dey, he lost in the end due mainly to accumulated fatigue as it was his third consecutive week of matches having come straight from the World University Games team and individual events where he captured silver and gold respectively. In G3, he mistimed and mishit a number of the opponent's short returns wide or into the net that should've been winners, unforced errors as he wasn't late to the shuttle nor out of position; when you're fatigued, you lost both your accuracy and judgement, including making misjudgements at the backline.

In the decider, he was 20-18 up, failed to convert both matchpoints, the second to an unlucky net cord, before losing the deuces, 22-24. He reminds me somewhat of Chou Tien Chen, looking tired and yet able to stretch himself to the limit to keep pace with the opponent and even sometimes mustering the energy at the right moment to score points.

Yes, I think you're right about his potential, he is quite promising, just not sure if he'll be the best of the current lot of CHN MS 2nd team. Hope to see him go far, CHN MS still need reinforcements as Lin Dan is virtually out of the picture and Chen Long despite coming back to form is not young anymore at 29.

Let's hope Ren Pengbo, Lu Guangzu, Zhao Junpeng and Zhou Zeqi , not to confident of Sun Feixiang at the moment, assume the mantle of becoming part of Team CHN's main force, the sooner the better.

7. antssantss

Retired
    Lcw and the top players have Great stamina and can play quite a few top graded tournaments without showing fatigue.
    I would put RP's style more towards zj hua. He has the touch and variable speed of play, ie different gears. He needs more international exposure to sharpen his strokes. I do hope the CBA will not curb his playing style and give him their backing and support to play his exciting brand of badminton. I feel apart from lgz and Rpb the rest are too robotic. They do try but alas you need talent.

8. antssantss

Retired
    Full credit to S Dey. He didnt fall apart after a bad 2nd game. Interesting to see their rematch. Both are exciting players. I feel he will win the final today.

9. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

In the decider, it was Dey who had 2 Match Points not RP. But nevertheless, both played really well. I must say, RP's shots are mostly unpredictable. Even though it won't come under deceptions, it is something unique. That's why many good players fell as victims to him. Thanks to Dey's superior defensive abilities and counter attacking techniques which was the key to the victory yesterday. I don't think Dey will do good in the future considering his drawbacks not in the National setups and lack of funds etc. This one should be his once in a lifetime achievement. But RP will have a huge advantage considering his age. He will be one of the future investments for china, for sure.

Baddie lover likes this.
  10. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Han Yue impressed me, after beating Cheung Ngan Yi , she pushed Michelle Li hard to three well-fought , grueling sets, as Michelle is in good form here at the Macau Open having disposed of Li Xuerui in two straight sets convincingly and in her resume scalped a few notable players before, viz. Tai Tzu Ying, Intanon Ratchanok Sung Ji Hyun, just to name three as Morten Frost related. In fact, I've just found out that Han Yue won their last encounter at the AUS open in May by the identical score of 21-11.

While Han Yue's fitness looks good, a runner and tenacious in defense, it can be better, still room for improvement if I compare her with the superfit Tai Tzu Ying, Carolina Marin and Akane Yamaguchi in that regard for they never appeared as tired as she was in long, grueling matches and punishing rallies. I know I'm being harsh and unrealistic towards an 18-year-old prospect but if she is to pose a serious threat to the very best one day, her fitness and stamina must be as good as theirs, yes, that's what it takes so that she competes with them more on technical skills and mental toughness (and to a certain extent, experience, which largely disadvantages the young players in the first few years of their professional career, can't be helped though some learn faster than others).

In today's final with Michelle, Han Yue played a fairly good variation of shots but some of her shot selection weren't the best and she was sometimes too eager to attack as in G1. In the end, I think youthful exuberance and determination lost out to experience, particularly ing2 and G3 despite Han Yue's spirited come-from-behind win in G1 from 15-19 down to take the deuces, 25-23.

It was a tough, entertaining match that kept me riveted to the screen with some superb, thrilling rallies; even Morten Frost was impressed with Han Yue's performance, likening her to Wang Yihan albeit not as strong yet, also reminding us she took a game off Akane last September, and finally adding we would surely be seeing much more of her in the future. I should think so, too.

11. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Oops, I got mixed up with the deuces, thanks for the correction, RPB twice held matchpoint during the deuces, 21-20 and 22-21.

Being an independent player is tough, you're on your own without resources, needing to raise funds or paying out of your own pocket for everything, logistics, coaching, therapist, sparring partners, accommodation,transportation, etc, unless you want to save some costs doing certain things yourself , which can be quite a hassle. No wonder Subankhar Dey is so committed and motivated to do as best he can. I understand he has to have many more good results to be viable, that's why I suggested BAI taking him back as he has shown good potential; besides, age 25 isn't too old and India doesn't have too many top talents, and he can also double up as a quality sparring partner.

#1931 Justin L, Nov 4, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
  12. Baddie lover

Baddie lover Regular Member

Reminds me the case of Zhang Beiwen. It's astonishing to see her win championships despite lack of coach and resources.

13. decrepit

decrepit Regular Member

Recently I noticed that Tang Jinhua/Yu Xiaohan withdrew from many tournaments, including the Fuzhou China Open this week. Is any of them injured or does they prepare to retire? I remembered after Rio'16, Tang Yuanting was also in the same situation and then she retired from the national team. Could anybody confirm that? This is just my assumption, cause I felt sth not normal for a pair just keep withdrawing...

14. Banuka

Banuka Regular Member

I have noticed too. They have withdrawn from about 5 times

15. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

If I'm not wrong, it's Tang Jinhua who's having some problems, health-related or injuries, it's happened to her before.

16. RedShuttle

RedShuttle Regular Member

decrepit and Justin L like this.
  17. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

18. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

At the World Junior Team Championships, CHN beat MAS 3-1 yesterday at the Final stage 1 to 8 positions to enter the last four. Incidentally, Wang Zhiyi avenged her previous defeat to Goh Jin Wei at the Youth Olympics by beating her in two straight sets this time, 21-19 and 21-14.

China[​IMG] - [​IMG]Malaysia: 3-1
    Time: Wed 11/7/2018 7:00 PM
    Draw: Mixed Team - Final Stage 1 To 8 - 1ST'S
    Score: 3-1

Match overview
    Order Event China[​IMG] - [​IMG]Malaysia Score Points Duration
    1 XD
    GUO Xinwa [​IMG]
    LIU Xuanxuan [​IMG]
    -
    [​IMG] CHIA Wei Jie
    [​IMG] Ee Wei TOH
    16-21 17-21 0-1 0:33

2 MS
    LI Shifeng [​IMG]
    -
    [​IMG] Tze Yong NG
    21-7 21-19 1-0 0:48

3 MD
    DI Zijian [​IMG]
    WANG Chang [​IMG]
    -
    [​IMG] CHIA Wei Jie
    [​IMG] CHUA Yue Chern
    21-14 24-22 1-0 0:37

4 WS
    WANG Zhiyi [​IMG]
    -
    [​IMG] GOH Jin Wei
    21-19 21-14 1-0 0:40
    5 WD
    LIU Xuanxuan [​IMG]
    XIA Yuting [​IMG]
    -
    [​IMG] Pearly Koong Le TAN
    [​IMG] Ee Wei TOH

19. Banuka

Banuka Regular Member

Shi yuqi is not in a good physical condition again

20. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

He did say he hasn't got enough time to fully treat his knee problem . But today he lost to Chou Tien Chen partly due to his own , should I say, mental weakness, lacking self-confidence and inner belief. He played well enough against Ginting yesterday.