Current Babolat racket most similar to old Satelite Nitro?

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by fast3r, Oct 30, 2018.

Tags:
  1. fast3r

fast3r Regular Member

Hi all,

I'm looking to start playing again after quite a few years and I'm looking to buy a new racket. When I played before I had a few Babolat Satelite Nitros–specifically this generation–and really loved these rackets. The feel was perfect for me (evenly balanced and slightly on the stiffer side if I recall), they were very durable and I'm a big fan of the 20/21 stringing pattern for the feel and for speed of stringing.

I don't have these any more and they don't make them any more so I was wondering whether anyone familiar with this racket could tell me whether there's anything in the current Babolat lineup that's similar in feel to this one, preferably with the 20x21 pattern. Would prefer Babolat again but I am totally out of the loop with badminton equipment, so if there's something new that's changed the game, I'm open to suggestions from other brands as well.

Here are my answers to the questions in the sticky thread if it helps:
    1. How often do you play, how serious are you?
    Used to play to a pretty decent level (top 15ish in the UK as a junior at one point, then university team) but would undoubtedly be pretty rusty at this point as I've not really played for 5 years. I'm not planning on playing competitively or anything but I'm hoping eventually to get back to a reasonably high standard.

2. What style of player are you? (Aggressive smasher, net player ...)
    Most likely will be mostly playing doubles, not really an aggressive smasher but wouldn't describe myself as a defensive player, I try to be aggressive by changing the pace e.g. with slice quite a lot and taking control of the net rather than through pure power.

3. Do you care much about durability or is it all about performance?
    Good durability is pretty important, I don't want to be replacing rackets every few months.

4. How much money do you want to spend?
    Don't have a set budget, prepared to spend what I need really.

Thanks!

2. speCulatius

speCulatius Regular Member

Never tried it, I can try to get a hold of one to try, but chances are low...
    Just take any Babolat, they completely changed to this pattern as far as I know.
    There is a recent Nitro, it seems to be slightly head heavy, but more on the (mid-) flexible side, I only hit a few strokes with it though. Maybe I can try it again today.... In Germany, you can get it for 40€, I think.

Even balanced and on the stiffer side is pretty much the description of the "Power" models of each series. Slightly more flexible would be the "Essential" models and slightly more head heavy are the "Blast" models. "Light" models are head light.

For durability, I only know one guy who breaks those rackets, but even he was stuck with Babolat for some time, because they lasted him longer than Yonex. For him, the rackets don't really matter, he'll break them all...

If you have the chance to try rackets, I'd suggest to try
    Babolat Satelite (Team) Essential/Power (/Blast)
    Babolat X-Feel (Essential/)Power/Blast
    Babolat Nitro (just because it's the same name as before)
    and maybe the models of the Babolat X-Feel Origin line. They are supposed to be based on the old (2014) X-Feel models, but they're not the same. I've only tried some of the old models and never the origin ones.

Some people who have tried my racket (Satelite Blast) said that it feels almost even balanced, but it really is in the same head weight category like the Yonex Z-Force II. Nur their opinion makes me want to include it.
    Concerning the X-Feel rackets, they do have a different (oval and smaller) head shape and are quite aerodynamic, also the blast is slightly lighter than the Satellite Blast. The Essential is quite flexible though, so it might not be worth trying if you're looking for stiffer rackets.

I think this post of mine sums up a lot of my experiences and also links some more posts/threads. Since I'm one of the few who have tried Babolat rackets, you can also just use the search function to find posts only by me.

Feel free to ask more questions, but don't expect too many answers about Babolat around here.

3. fast3r

fast3r Regular Member

Thanks very much for the response, very helpful indeed. I looked up to see if I could find the specs of the old Nitro and I was wrong about the stiffness. It's described as 'medium flexible', so given that, it looks like one of the Essentials or maybe the Satelite Power would probably be the best fit. I'll definitely see if I can give those a try.

Do you have a link to the Nitro you were mentioning? I had a look around but couldn't seem to find anything which matches what you're saying. Thanks!

4. LoaS

LoaS Regular Member

I owned two satellite nitro in the past the same grey first gen as you had and the white second gen too. Both felt more medium-stiff to stiff then medium flexible.

5. speCulatius

This is a link to German eBay, the seller is bsl24.de, I didn't check if they have the same price on their website, but you can always email them about it. Joschi is a helpful and patient guy.
    I'm sure there was another German seller seeking it for the same price, but even the regular price for it is "only" 60€ in stores in Germany (at least offline).

If you're looking for an even balanced Babolat racket with some, but not too much flex to it, the Satellite (6.5) (Team) Essential is a safe choice. The 2015 and 2017 versions are the same, if you can get an old version for a better price, don't worry about that. When I suggested this to another forum member, it was on sale at a well known shop for 60 including stringing.

I, personally, didn't like the X-Feel Essential, while I really like the Blast and the Power and I know several people who are extremely happy with it, so if you get to try those rackets, it would be better.

6. sautom88

sautom88 Regular Member

I still own that racket, 89g med-stiff, balance @305mm. Comparatively quite head-heavy swing to modern rackets, although it is a SHORT racket (665mm length). Or did I saw off its handle? I doubt it, can someone confirm if the 1st gen (black/wine red shaft) is a short racket?

7. speCulatius

Give the Satellite Blast a try then. It probably is slightly stiffer, but not necessarily. The flex will feel different, because of the much thinner shaft, but overall a great and very stable racket. I have three of them. :D

Let us know what you think of the rackets you already tried!

edit:
    Actually the old X-Feel Metricflex Blast might be a better fit. In Germany, you can still get those, I think. If not, look at the X-Feel Origin Blast since it's supposed to be similar, but I've never tried that one.

#7 speCulatius, Nov 11, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2018