stringster - what to make of this?

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by s_mair, Apr 23, 2017.

1. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Yeah, noticed this as well.

swsh likes this.
  2. adrianh

adrianh Regular Member

Sounds fine. Check the ping frequency. My aerosonic lost about 10% after a session.

3. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Yeah, I‘m not mad about the tension loss, but the „strings are dead“ statement. I mean, they still feel fresh, nice and repulsive. Am I supposed to cut the strings after 2 hours of play?!

4. Mr Arc2

Mr Arc2 Regular Member

Stringster is good for:
    -checking if your racket is strung well, IMMEDIATELY after the racket comes of the machine. Especially if you compare it with data you had gained from earlier stringjobs, done on the same machine by the same stringer.
    -checking how fast different strings lose tension. (helps estimating how long they will be playable if you know your tension range. but of course tension loss doesnt have to be linear)

Despite having the feature Stringster is not good for:
    -seeing how good your strings play
    -or even checking if your string is dead.

The measured tension is only good for comparision between rackets and strings. It is real that a string can lose 2 or even more pounds after one training session. It has been stated before that players have a tension range at which they feel comfortable.

visor, s_mair and Rob3rt like this.
  5. adrianh

adrianh Regular Member

I ignore that feature completely. Seems like once it loses a certain amount of tension it will claim that it is dead. I do cut it once the tension drops by 20%.

justplaynow77 likes this.
  6. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Yes, that much I can believe.

I find it hard to believe that my strings drop almost 2 lbs, 2 hours off the machine. I have also measured straight off the machine, and I've seen 1 lb too low.

7. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

10%, for me - that's six hours' use.

8. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    I personally find normal pings more reliable as that hasn't gotten a bunch of variables thrown into it and you can keep track of it yourself to compare.

Rob3rt likes this.
  9. Mr Arc2

Mr Arc2 Regular Member

It is a combination of tension loss, time the string has been on the racket and how often you played. for example I tried sth silly like testing a new strung racket and it would say its dead because I also put that i had been using it for 3 months or so...

This has happened to me too. I am sorry to inform you, but in that case u made a small misstep during stringing. could be not massaging the string, not tying of correctly and so on. I have no idea what i did wrong that stringjob.

That doesnt make no difference really. what stringster really does is measure a frequency and use basic physics to calculate a tension. The biggest cause for wrong results is the user (eg wrong string, racket) and your phone.

Like if your racket comes straight off the machine both, stringster and carltune, will show a too low frequency.

For me the best way to rate my stringjob is to use Carltune and Stringster immediately after the job is done.

10. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    I discovered that the whole stringster app work for some rackets and strings fine, for others not. My measurements with BG65, BG65TI, BG80 and BG80P in common and famous rackets were good. With Adidas, Zymax and Victor strings or unknown, not common rackets more wrong to horrible. Having one tablet and 2 phones and just my oldest phone work most accurate and well with stringster.

11. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

I doubt it. Some difference, maybe. 2 lbs out seems...implausible.

No, it estimates a tension.

There are too many variables to calculate the tension. We're not talking about a single string here, where you can just use Mersenne's laws to calculate tension if you know length, mass-per-unit-length, and pitch. We have a whole bunch of different strings, at different lengths, all restricting each other's movement.

(And of course, no stringing job ever has all the strings at exactly the same tension anyway...)

Most likely, they have taken a lot of measurements from some reference stringers, and used them as a starting point. Then they take other factors (like racket head size) and use them for weighting.

At least, that's what I'm guessing. I would be curious to know the actual process.

#131 Gollum, Oct 24, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
    ucantseeme likes this.
  12. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    There’s one thing stringster doesn’t account for and that’s frame density.

N90s and AT frames will always ring low, because they have fat chunky frames on them. It’s not just about how wide and tall it is, but also how deep the frame is, which is why rackets like newer voltrics will ring higher than an AT.

stradrider and Gollum like this.
  13. justplaynow77

justplaynow77 Regular Member

Yes.. I also dont use the 'dead' indicator. I use the app just to figure out the 'delta' of how much the tension drop over a period of time. And if I still feel the birdie bounces well on the string bed, I will not change the string. I believe the actual tension is higher than the way they measure anyway, especially for fat frame like Astrox 2 and Nanoray 20.

14. paulstewart64

paulstewart64 Regular Member

Marketing Consultant
    I only use Stringster as a guide and not an absolute. There are inconsistencies at times which is annoying but overall I've found it to be a good tool. Usually the "strings are dead" statement is incorrect although I did have one racket recently where that statement was spot on.

I'm not interested in how it works as long as it does.

Paul
    www.badminton-coach.co.uk

15. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    IMO stringster is an inaccurate measuring-app. I can do what I want with my LN N7II got always measured 0.1kg too low, while the JS10 is always around 0.9kg higher measured. As I stated before some rackets are really spot on, others are off in different amount. I also had in the early period dead racket fresh off the machine and also have 3-6 month old jobs which get shown as okay. IMO a measurement should clearly deliver a statement in a better way than my feel, but this is not the case. So I don't use anymore.

16. fanfaron

fanfaron Regular Member

Yesterday I wanted to speed up the stringing process so I decided to not massage the string. Two rackets I've strung came with the result of dead string. Also from the ping test by tapping the stringbed to my palm also indicates that the job is so-so.. does massaging string make that much difference?

17. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

The same rackets which were fine before?

18. fanfaron

fanfaron Regular Member

No customers racket. I Just did one 24 lbs. I did massage this time and it came a lot tighter. Didnt have time to test it. His racket have a crack on top right in the middle did it anyway because he asked. It didn't break at 24lbs. It also why I was reluctant to test the tension. Don't want to break it. I think massage really make big difference.

19. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Can't necessarily compare different rackets. Doesn't work. They have different frame profile and grommets.

20. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Just ran Stringster on a fresh 32/33 job on my NS9900... 33.3 lb displayed. Within 1% - more than good enough for me.

(But I had to call it an NS8000 because the NS9900 isn't on the list...)