Is BAM going in the right direction?

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by cobalt, May 22, 2011.

1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
  2. ownz.uno

ownz.uno Regular Member

I heard he is too costly for BAM.

pcll99 likes this.
  3. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

But this Chinese article is dated today http://sports.sina.com.cn/others/badmin/2018-10-18/doc-ihmrasqr7497958.shtml

It stated that Li Yongbo was with the Petaling Club yesterday posing for a group photo. According to Sin Chew Daily news, he was there in Malaysia upon the invitation of the BAM secretary-general, presumably just for a holiday, to catch up with old friends, dining and sightseeing.

There's no talk of whether LYB will be joining the Purple League, BAM or suchlike, as the secretary-general refused to comment.
    [​IMG]

ownz.uno, Cheung and pcll99 like this.
  4. Gigabit

Gigabit Regular Member

Banker
    Li yongbo will probably cause more damage

Sent from my COL-L29 using Tapatalk

5. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I think you're underestimating what LYB can bring with him, his resources, networks and contacts, the posible Chinese coaches he can invite, the quality sparring partners, not to mention his secret knowledge of Chinese badminton training and methodology as well as his invaluable experience running CBA for 20 over years.

Anyway, I seriously doubt CBA will let him go work as a coach for another country, at most he's allowed to get involved in the Purple League on an ad hoc basis. However, I believe once he reached retirement age at 60,he's 56 now, I think CBA has no control over what he wants to do post-retirement, except that by then I'm not sure if he would want to continue working and going overseas at that instead of enjoying his retirement and golden years as he is well-off (I think so).

Don't forget, he still has his Dongguan Badminton Academy, so why leave home to start a new career unless the overseas offer is too good to turn down. Still it depends on his priorities in life and what retirement plans he has for himself and his wife.

Nevertheless,I won't rule out a short, say, four years stint or a bit longer, even so he will have to get the green light from CBA as he is now one of its top management staff in addition to being one of the special consultants to the Chinese Olympic Committee.

6. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
  7. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I mean, to put it bluntly, casting aside whatever prejudice you may have against Li Yongbo, as far as BAM top management is concerned, it's what he can contribute , what he can bring to MAS badminton that counts more than anything else.

Conversely, that's exactly what CBA is most worried about, losing what is to them still a valuable asset.

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Li Yongbo can be employed as a consultant. Nothing wrong with that. It would only be the patriotism of Chinese people giving him a lot of criticism that would stop him.

9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Is he still in CBA? If not, then they can't 'lose' him.

10. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

http://sports.qq.com/a/20181018/011455.htm

OK, Li Yongbo has put paid to the rumours , saying he is simply taking a break, going to Malaysia just to meet some old friends, that you people are thinking too much.

How not to when the timing of his Malaysia visit couldn't have been more perfect just when BAM is looking for a new Technical Director ? I think such rumours of him being approached by BAM for the post will be hard to dispel until the post is taken by someone else.

Looks like the rumour's been spreading fast in the Chinese media ever since news of his Malaysian trip and group photo of him with the Petaling club members were posted online,so much so even the author of the article felt the need to remind readers that Li Yongbo years ago had once said that he himself would not offer his services abroad. The author added, that would not change despite Li Yongbo is now no longer the Head Coach of CBA.

11. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

He's still in the top management team of CBA as a deputy director, if I'm not wrong, can't remember which article read about it.

12. lurker

lurker Regular Member

see what can happen to Fan BingBing and Ex interpol chief..
    if China gov says no.. better don't

13. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    LYB didn't let his top players to serve another country when he was the boss.

It would be very interesting if he were to serve another country now.

Cheung likes this.
  14. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

maybe he learned the past when legend Yang Yang and Han Jian went to MAS camp as coaches during year 1992 era...

Cheung likes this.
  15. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
  16. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Not quite...

17. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    Justin L likes this.
  18. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

19. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    #2779 pcll99, Oct 19, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
    Justin L likes this.
  20. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

Thoughts by Park Joo Bong on Malaysian badminton in an interview with the Star:-

Source: https://www.thestar.com.my/sport/ba...g-of-south-korea-is-one-of-badmintons-specia/

Q: Coach, you have been with Malaysia before, why didn’t we see Malaysian players winning majors too?

A: To be fair, I was the chief coach only briefly with Malaysia. It’s hard to compare. In Japan, there is this gap between the coaches and players – the players are respectful. In Malaysia, players, coaches and management are all friends – there’s no line that separates that. The culture is different. It also depends on the coaches – the players must trust and believe the coaches. It’s difficult to control players. Coaches must know their roles. I’m there to entertain the requests by players to train – some prefer earlier slots than the others.

It’s about accommodating and understanding them – not all are the same. I’m there in every tournament they go to, I watch their matches, I communicate with them. When they have the trust, they will listen to coaches’ advice. Both players and coaches must have the right attitude.

Q: What do you think of Malaysian badminton?

A: I’ve been there before and I want Malaysian badminton to do well. It’ll be good for the sport’s promotion if all countries are able to perform well and fans will be happy to see quality matches. I’ve seen many changes in Malaysia. After I left, Rexy Mainaky became a coach, then Morten Frost came and went twice, there have been others too. It looks like Malaysia don’t have long-term plans. It’s always short. Malaysia always offer big money to bring anyone in ... but I think, outside coaches are apprehensive now.

Coaches are sacked if there are no results – but it’s difficult to produce results in the short term.

I think, the roles of coaches, officials and managers are spelt clearly in Japan. We also have a coaching committee but my coaches and I get to select the players for tournaments, we do the planning for players. The coaches are given the freedom to manage the players and deal with their training issues. But of course, we plan according to the budget given by the association.

I’ve already done my planning from January to December in 2019. And the planning involves our first, second and third teams. I’ve set dates for centralised training programmes, I’ve selected players for all tournaments next year. There are 55 players in the national team and they know what lies ahead for them next year. Of course, they have targets to achieve.

Another one I found interesting (Mainly because we have seen Norza blast certain players repeatedly for not making expectations)

Q: What is your response when your top players fail to meet certain expectations? How did people react when Kento Momota did not win at the Asian Games in Jakarta recently?

A: Everyone understood the situation. Kento has been doing well since April after winning the Asian Championships title. He lost to Lee Chong Wei in the Malaysian Open final, won all his matches in the Thomas Cup Finals and lifted the world title. As a player, I know it’s hard to keep winning. I know he will eventually lose but I didn’t know in which tournament. Of course, he lost in the Asiad. He was too tired. The association understood that too. There is no point putting undue pressure on players. Sometimes they win, sometimes not. More importantly, as coaches, we should know that the players have tried their best.

alien9113, Baddie lover and Cheung like this.