Astrox 99 vs Duora Z Strike

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Aniket Soman, Sep 12, 2018.

1. Aniket Soman

Aniket Soman Regular Member

how does the astrox 99 (4u) compare to the duora z strike (3u) in terms of power,control and what general differences will there be? i have the duora z strike and something about it kind of feels off and so i want to change my racket.
    Im an aggressive player and i love my smashes and accurate drops.

2. shreyas666

shreyas666 Regular Member

chief mis-information officer
    Go change your strings.

cloudsat likes this.
  3. Aniket Soman

Already did! Had the aerosonic first then 66 ultimax then bg 80 and now bg 80 power and the bg 80 power is better than the other strings it still feels off

4. llrr

llrr Regular Member

I'm assuming the DZS feels "off" to you because it's too stiff? It's entirely possible...

5. Aniket Soman

Idk might be,but i can hit good shots for 70% of the time and all of a sudden it just feels weird.
    And my smashes go a bit high which is probably because of the extra stiffness i guess.

6. llrr

llrr Regular Member

Sounds about right. It's just too stiff for you. Rest assured though the 99 is nowhere near as stiff. It's not even as stiff as the 88D or ZF2.

7. Aniket Soman

Hmmmm nice! And it should help with power aswell because its head heavy,but i have 1 question that should i wait for the 3u or the 4u will do me fine?

8. llrr

llrr Regular Member

No idea. Depends on your level of play and technique.

9. shreyas666

shreyas666 Regular Member

chief mis-information officer
    You need to just tone down stiffness then. But still will ask you to stay with dzs and just practice more. Unless you can justify a new purchase, I would suggest stay with dzs and practise with it.

10. Aniket Soman

hmmmm i have been playing with it for about 7 months and still cant shake that feeling off,and i play every day for at least 2 hours so yeah.....
    cant decide,i feel like to pull the trigger today and the power with the head heavy will be worth it is what my mind tells me -_-

11. Michel Aupin

Michel Aupin Regular Member

I have DZS 3u and just got my ax99 4u. DZS is a demanding but powerful racket and very precise. Maybe it's too stiff for you and you cant extract any power from it? Tension too high? You said you play everyday without any rest? It's very strong, one of my best racket but it is harder on my shoulder. I found it very stiff and I am not playing plastic shuttles with it.

Just tried the Ax99 4u yesterday. Absolutely loved it! As powerful as another 3u, moves well. Played single / double without problems. Even better than expected. Can't wait to my next session to try it again. It is very head heavy, more than 88D. I'm a 3u user but it is the first 4u that I feel good with. Played with BG66UM, wow!

Hope it helps !

12. Aniket Soman

Probably too stiff for me but i got my ax99 today and its my first 4u aswell,im really excited to use it,got it strung with bg 80p at 25lbs(i play with plastics)

Sent from my SM-G615F using Tapatalk

13. Michel Aupin

Michel Aupin Regular Member

Problably others can tell but I personnaly didnt like DZS with plastic shuttles. Have you tried thicker string like bg70pro or others at a lower tension? it depends on your level but often about 22-23 is enough for plastic.
    Congrats on your new toy :) Have fun!

14. Aniket Soman

Hmmm i didn't try a thicker string but the DZS does feel weird with plastic shuttles
    Im soooo excited to try the ax99 i cant sleep right now lel

15. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    India won't get the 3u just like with previous iterations of astroxes and countless other flagships Yonex has produced over the years. You'll have to obtain one from E78 or MBS.

16. Aniket Soman

Hmmm
    I got the 4u yesterday and it feels amazing in the hand

17. HoangLee

HoangLee New Member

Financial Analyst at TD Bank
    Interesting comments guys. As a fellow DZS user, I think that it is a great all-round racket suitable for both singles and doubles. I have been using it for 6 months and absolutely loves it with BG66 Force @26x28lbs. Also wondering if I should buy another DZS 3UG5 (already have 2) or try out the Astrox 99 3UG5 one.

18. mtieu

mtieu Regular Member

Sales Manager
    I also really like the duora z-strike and have been rocking a pair of them as my main rackets for the last few months. I just ordered a 3ug5 astrox 99 that comes in on Tuesday. I'll give it a try and let you know how they compare.

HoangLee likes this.
  19. BethuneGuy

BethuneGuy Regular Member

Student
    What were your rackets before the dzs?

20. mtieu

mtieu Regular Member

Sales Manager
    Similar to the OP I like to play an aggressive style of badminton with heavy smashes so I tend to like head heavier rackets. I previously used Nanoray Z-speeds which I really did not like, they were fast but lacked the punch of head heavier rackets. I liked my 4U Voltric 80, it helped deliver powerful smashes and was not too slow to manoeuvre in defence for doubles. Despite it being a 4U racket, it did not lack any power since it is very head heavy, I expect this to be the case for the 4U Astrox 99 for people who choose to go with that option. I also have used a Wilson BLX Vertex that was even balance to slightly head heavy that I really enjoyed before it broke, I liked that it had a bit of flex in the shaft that added power to hard smashes. The Astrox 99 seems right up my ally since it seems like a powerful attacking racket that is good for rear court smashing and is also stiff for controlled drops. I decided to go with 3U for the Astrox this time instead of 4U like my Voltric 80 because I've been practising with a 140g training racket and feel that my wrist should be strong enough to manoeuvre it just fine and want to benefit from the extra power of the slightly heavier racket.