any tips for serving short in singles?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by logicalguy, Sep 16, 2009.

1. llrr

llrr Regular Member

The following are some points regarding short serves IMO.

1. There are many more variations when short serving. Doubles style slow to the service line serve, faster and flatter serve, and flick serves. Not to mention each type of serve can be varied between towards the T, at the body, or out wide. You can actually test your opponent alot when short serving.
    Long serve: opponent simply moves backwards and hit an overhead. High long serve gives more time to the opponent to choose their shot.

2. You must have an adequate backhand to short serve. This means being able to clear baseline to baseline straight or do a straight drop. No backhand = no short serve.

3. As mentioned above, you must have good footwork. In fact, the stance right after serving is the most critical. Right foot should stay slightly in front (assuming right hander), so that a net reply can be reached with two steps (left foot forward then right foot lunge), and long replies can be reached by pivoting on your left foot to rotate your body. This also means that bodyweight needs to be on your right foot after serving.

4. Serving position is very important. If you have trouble reaching the net but not the back, then stand half a step closer to the net to serve may be beneficial. Not everyone should serve exactly in the middle of the court.

5. Don't serve with a backhand thumb grip. Serve with a neutral grip and try to use thumb power because there may not be time to change grip to hit the third shot.

6. The key to avoiding being rushed is to keep your opponent guessing. A short slow serve gives time for flicks, deception, and tight net shots, you can get caught out once or twice but then change your serve to a flat, faster serve. Flick if your opponent is standing very close to the net. I find that most of the time being under pressure for the third shot is usually due to a poor serve, ranging from half court flicks to short serves that are too high, or the wrong service position or wrong stance immediately after serving.

2. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

I suppose you mean "how do I serve low"?

Serving short (as far as I know), means before the service line and would lose the point immediately.

3. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    Saying "the serve was short" (an error from which you lose the point) is not the same as a "short serve". The phrase "short serve" and "low serve" and "short low serve" all mean the same thing - a serve thats intended to pass relatively low over the net and land in the front section of the service box.

ralphz likes this.
  4. nprince

nprince Regular Member

Engineer
    I do play singles and serve short mostly (about 80%), the reason, my opponent attacks very well.

But you need to make sure your serves are not very predictable. Observe the position and body language of the opponent and decide your serve. Whenever he is a foot too close, flick it back. If he is too aggressive, delay your serve & deceive.

Don't ever serve loose because it is singles. Make it as good as your doubles serve. Vary your serve occasionally by making it more flatter and lengthier. And some times make it very slow-floating serve. That will keep him guessing.

But the key is, never make a loose serve and never get the opponent in to an attacking rhythm.

baronspill likes this.
  5. baronspill

baronspill Regular Member

Very much agree about keeping your opponent guessing on the serve.

I used to telegraph where I was hitting my serve, this put me behind in the rally from the off. I've evolved to prepare with an angled racquet face and forearm partially pronated (to help with flick serve power), then as I start my stroke keep it at that angle, straighten it up a bit, or straighten up fully. If my opponent encroaches too far forwards, shuttle is flicked at the last moment. Also vary the speed.

Not sure if it's unsporting, I'll also look at the T but serve out wide. Bit like a penalty taker in football looking at one corner on his run up and putting the ball to the opposite side.

6. sautom88

sautom88 Regular Member

@logical guy, are you ready to play an attacking singles game? The reason for short singles serves is to make sure the opponent does not attack u in his reply shot but he can hv more deceptions (pushes, flicks n drives)

Look @llrr 's 2nd point above, not-so-good backhand shots should NOT serve short in singles

7. wc5599

wc5599 Regular Member

stand further back when u serve short