He BingJiao (何冰娇)

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by RedShuttle, Nov 26, 2012.

1. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

No wonder CHN female players are stuck and not able to live up to their true potentials. If everyone had this kind of thinking, criticize anything that not up to their own standard, you would never produce any top player.

2. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

You know, when I first came across that article, I was like RedShuttle, incredulous that HBJ wasn't affected by Marin's screaming and antics ,instead it's was the home crowd chanting and cheering wildly for her that affected her. That's why I took the trouble to post the translation here.

I'm not the least bit surprised if some Chinese netizens expressed their displeasure and criticised her for saying that.

No wonder, I reiterate, most of the CHN players would rather not have the big matches or major tournaments held in China, the burden of the pressure of expectations, all the words of encouragement, the deluge of well-wishes, etc, from everyone everywhere, from the coaches, the friends, the fans,in particular, the higher-ups and government officials urging you to 'do the nation proud', can result in the opposite effect, crippling your nerves. Only the very few actually enjoy and thrive on it.

For HBJ, as the underdog who unexpectedly delivered a shock defeat on the much touted favourite, TTY, and then took the opening game against CM in style, the crowd went ballistic and started calling for her to beat Marin. And when G2 didn't begin well for her and the game threatened to slip away from her, she hesitated whether to save herself for G3 but then changed her mind quickly as she couldn't bear to lose face by going down tamely in G2.

In order not to let the home crowd down, she mustered her courage and put in a determined effort to save the set or at least salvage some pride. Unfortunately, it turned out to be a wrong decision, a misguided strategy, as not only did she fail to turn G2 around, she expended too much energy in the process. In the decider, she had nothing left and was overwhelmed by stress, so much so it led to her making that careless (or maybe reckless) remark about the crowd noise affecting her, which riled XXZ into venting his frustration on her with those heated words.

On the whole, I trust that one isolated unpleasant and unintended incident won't turn their relationship sour. Who knows, it might even be a blessing in disguise as they get to know each other better and develop a closer bond. Henceforth, may we see He Bingjiao grow from strength to strength and scale greater heights. Jiayou !

boon_keng and yuquall like this.
  3. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

I was surprised to see how negative people view on HBJ's vulnerable moment in her match against Marin and doomed her for being mentally weak or whatever. I personally thought it was a good sign and I liked it that unlike other CHN players who keep their frustration and show it plainly with their body languages all through the rest of the match, she actually did something in the middle of the match to tackle that emotion. That meant she was trying to fight away from her pressure and frustration, not to succumb to it. Maybe not as respectable or as honorable as many would have expected, but rather than worrying about what people or her coaches might think of her, she just did whatever she could to break free from her emotional breakdown. That took courage. I admire her for that.

So what if she showed a little bit "unprofessional" act during the match, she overcame it and that should have said something about her strong will and fighting spirit. She shouldn't be blamed for her honesty however tactless or regrettable it was in front of the camera. She is not an idol she is an athlete, her duty is not to keep her public image intact, but to focus on her matches and that exactly what she had done. I hope nothing of the negative feedback nor criticism of her would hinder her development as a great athlete. It was a good start and a lesson for her. Experience is the best teacher some would say.

4. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

I am in no position of saying that HBJ did something very negative
    However, I am also not saying that XXZ was right or wrong

the only point that I want to say is that what XXZ did might in the end benefit HBJ in the long run by improving HBJ lack of focus
    (when someone talk about something that is not related to the gameplay, that already means that his/her concentration is divided with the fact that he/she is aware of that something)
    saying it out loud is good and is a way to regain the focus
    but it will be even better if he/she can totally focus without being aware at all about any distraction besides the gameplay and opponents psychological state

*only stating my point again since the discussion going a little bit more wild now

5. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Don't worry, the discussion so far, in my opinion, has been robust, constructive,fruitful and healthy.:)

stanleyfm likes this.
  6. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Well I was referring to some other posters and to the public opinion of the home crowds. :)
    I agree that she needs to work on more on her focus. She seems to be the sensitive type. Maybe she had never been this far in major event, or had she before? It takes a lot of time to toughen up. But this is definitely a good start for her, in my point of view.

Always think that sometimes most Asians especially the older generation could be so conservative and old fashioned when it comes to one's mental states and coping with stress. Shouldn't be so critical nor judgemental for something they can't understand nor appreciate without trying to look into it from that person's side of story or perspective. I just hope they could be more compassionate and open to any other possible scenarios. :)

stanleyfm likes this.
  7. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

In her junior days, HBJ was Akane's rival, didn't win the WJC (silver in 2014, bronze in 2013) but won the 2014 Youth Olympic Games WS crown in Nanjing beating Akane for that epic battle. Her best year after capturing a number of GPG/GP titles was in 2016 when she clinched two Superseries titles, the JPN Open and the French Open followed by another GPG, the Bitburger Open, within a two-month period, a breakthrough result that captured the attention of the badminton world.

8. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Juniors are different. How about senior's major like WC or AG or OG?

9. alien9113

alien9113 Regular Member

This is very key and crucial to manage, more importantly for a player. The player him/herself must recognize it early and control and manage his/her desires to play way above themselves and then burning out at the critical moments. The coach also has to observe and step in to remind the player during breaks not to do so.

In that particular aspect, I think Lin Dan does very well. No other players come close when it comes to understanding their own mentality, what risks to take, etc.

10. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

You made a good point.

I can only put it down to 21-year-old He Bingjiao's inexperience, not wanting to lose too badly in G2 with the home crowd chanting her name instead of saving herself for the decider like what she did with Tai Tzu Ying.

I guessed the coaches, XXZ included, thought she's showing fighting spirit in clawing her way back to narrow the gap substantially, albeit in vain eventually. Anyway, I doubt the coaches could do much to stop her from adopting the wrong strategy if she insisted on doing it.

Lin Dan is much more experienced and in his younger days, fitness and stamina is never an issue with him.

LenaicM likes this.
  11. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

The more I watched He Bingjiao, and it's been a two years now, the more I'm convinced He Bingjiao is an extraordinary talent but, unfortunately, her lack of an optimal physicality is a real limiting factor preventing her from realizing her fullest potential.

It'll take some drastic measures and tremendous willpower on her part to improve on her physique significantly, and that hasn't been the case until now. I believe CBA, all the coaches and trainers concerned, have been patiently, painstakingly working on her physical shortcoming for quite some time now but, apparently, to little avail based on what I've gathered on the Chinese sports media.

Tai Tzu Ying's amazing rise to the top is owing mainly to her remarkable improvement in her physique coupled with commendable increase in consistency in quality shotmaking, an exemplary achievement certainly well worth emulating by He Bingjiao,nay, by every one who struggles in those two aspects for that matter.

For He Bingjiao, I can only wait and see what the future has in store for her. Ultimately, it's all up to her.

LenaicM likes this.
  12. Hbmao

Hbmao Regular Member

I noticed in the match against AY, no coach was there during breaks. It appears that Luo Yigang was sitting in coach’s spot but didn’t come to her during breaks?

13. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

You mean during G2 mid-game interval ? I guess Luo Yigang might be thinking, with one game in the bag and leading 11-2 seeing how Akane looked lost and confused, there wasn't anything he needed to say or change in HBJ's game. Little did he expect what was to come after that, the way HBJ lost G2 was dismaying, to say the least.

14. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

What a bummer, how He Bingjiao lost G2 to Akane yesterday at the French Open when the lead seemed almost insurmountable and considering how badly Akane played in the first half, is almost beyond belief.

That coming after her QF victory over Sindhu in a masterclass display of quality badminton of the highest order of magnitude, not to mention how she turned the tables in G1 over Akane, a six-point winning streak when four gamepoints against her , can only be described as heartbreaking, utterly disappointing, for me.

I bet HBJ will remember that terrible lesson for a long time to come, serves as painful memory. I can only hope HBJ draws the right lesson from it and do what is right.

I've no desire to repeat the same old story, it's as tiresome for me writing it as it is for those reading it. What the heck, even Morten Frost during the Tai TY vs Akane Yamaguchi match now ongoing as I write is talking about HBJ needing to improve her physique at least 5 per cent. Enough said.

15. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I loathe to say this , it's so tiresome, watching He Bingjiao breathing heavily already in G2 against Sindhu at the Quarterfinals of the ongoing Fuzhou CHN Open and dropping it before grinding out a victory in the decider, in small part thanks to a timely breather when she was allowed a towel down after being denied one earlier and followed almost immediately by another breathing space when Sindhu challenged a linecall.

Safe to say, she won't clear the semifinals tomorrow and I just found out it's going to be Nozomi Okuhara awaiting her,a fantastic runner and retriever. So at most a third semifinal outcome in three consecutive tournaments.

When will we see her eventually win a top-tier event ? Not until she finally improves on her physique to at least nearly match those of the top few WS viz., Tai Tzu Ying, Akane Yamaguchi , Nozomi Okuhara and Carolina Marin, in my opinion. For in terms of technical skills, He Bingjiao is definitely up there with the very best, as Steen Pedersen and Morten Frost opined.

16. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

If I may add, notice the reactions of the two CHN coaches during HBJ's game, Wen Kai , and chief coach, Luo Yigang; the former often clapped in approval of her good play, the latter virtually expressionless, often arms folded, occasionally taking notes, as if he's not too impressed or satisfied, probably worried about her physical condition, I suspected, just as I was.

17. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Pathetic. Pathetic. Pathetic.

The way she played and lost to Nozomi Okuhara today at the Fuzhou China Open semifinals was dismaying to watch, in no way better than how she lost G2 to Akane Yamaguchi at the French Open'18 semifinals when one game to the good and almost running away with the second set with a huge lead when she inexplicably allowed her opponent to come back and take it, 21-19, before being outlasted by her in the decider by the same score of 21-19.

I believed that shock second game loss to Akane when He Bingjiao looked set to wrap up the match is still fresh in her coaches ' minds. And now this lackadaisical display to lose tamely in two sets to Nozomi without a fight , looking sluggish and fatigued as well as lost and confused, certainly wouldn't go down well with her coaches again.

It's obvious by now that the Chinese coaches know exactly what's wrong with her but, apparently, they just can't do much about it till today. I wonder if her shortcoming or limitation is insurmountable.

18. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Justin L: "The He Bingjiao Monologues - I'm disappointed!"

19. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

He Bingjiao is just one big wasted talent. And it all boils down to herself.

Lack of fitness can equate to higher risk of injury when you push yourself hard during rallies, and that seemed to be what happened today when she injured her left ankle as she rushed to cover the long diagonal in the match with Sung Ji Hyun.

Hope it's not too serious, or else it might even be career-ending for her; it looked bad watching it on livestream without close-ups. Wish her a speedy recovery.

20. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    It looks really bad. She was in excruciating pain.