Kento Momota's racket ready position is on the floor

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by FeatherDance, Aug 12, 2018.

1. FeatherDance

FeatherDance Regular Member

Most of us have been taught that when we're in a ready position our rackets should be lifted high. In defense, it's probably a bit lower at the waist.

Kento Momota's superb defense has been a hot topic. The reason why he has overcome many players thus far is probably because they have been dominating the arena due to their powerful smashes. Take that away and they're nothing (Viktor Axelsen :D). But his racket ready position regardless of whether he's preparing for a smash is low and pointing to the floor!

Here is a video where that is most obvious. At first I thought he was just warming up, but watch any of his recent matches and it's more or less the same. Racket nearly on the floor.

Most international players have steep smashes that land in the midcourt area - where Momota's racket is already waiting. Could this be one of the reasons for his great defense?

2. kakashihatake

kakashihatake Regular Member

That's a very good observation. Not sure if it works on doubles too.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

3. FeatherDance

It probably won't work in doubles, especially when sometimes smashes are aimed to the shoulders or chest. To get a racket up from way low would be difficult. Ever hit a smash higher than expected (say to the shoulders) while your opponents rackets are at the hips? Even in that scenario it's hard to bring a racket up from being that low.

4. kakashihatake

kakashihatake Regular Member

I usually defend very low as well. Like half the body low to have a good vision on smashes.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

5. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    The same is true of nearly all professional mens singles players, past and present. So no, I don't think its a secret of his. He has good footwork and excellent technique and a very good mindset to play patiently and attack at the right times. I don't think having the racket down is what seperates him from anyone.

It wouldn't work in doubles AND wouldn't be necessary because you are taking more shuttles at hip and waist height rather than trying to reach the shuttle just before it touches the floor at the sides of the court. Mens singles players often struggle with high smashes at the body because they are SO ready for the low ones at the side. Anyone with great defence (including momota) is very good at defending both the body and the sides.

6. FeatherDance

So what about before he hits other strokes? Notice that his racket is also down. Usually for most players, the racket is shoulder height and supinated and then travels to the shuttle. His moves a semicircle from the the floor to meet the shuttle.

7. DarkHiatus

DarkHiatus Regular Member

It's what my MS coach advocates - bring the racquet up to meet the shuttle, which allows you more options as you bring the racquet up. If you approach with a racquet at shoulder height, then you'll have to bring it down again before it goes up which makes flicked lifts in particular difficult.

I'd say most pro MS players do have a relatively low racquet in their (defensive/neutral) split step positions. Lin Dan in particular was famous for having "lazy" racquet carriage and only bringing his racquet up in time for a big smash at the last moment.

In MS, a straight looping block is often the best defensive shot which doesn't require as much power or require you to take it as early as in doubles defence. In MD, a block has to be flat over the net, and generally needs to be played quite quickly - if it's too close to the floor, it is better off lifted, but the ideal case for MD defence is to be able to take the shuttle highhin the air and counterattack by re-directing the shuttle flat over the net. Therefore a higher racquet carriage is preferred if you can react quick enough.

As @MSeeley says, it's not Momota in particular that does this. It's a strong MS feature

8. FeatherDance

I tried this just for kicks in mixed doubles and I have to say that it was fun! Also tried it in MD particularly if I noticed my opponents smashes are steep. Of course they started to target my shoulders but it was all worth it, I felt like Momota!

9. Junye

Junye Regular Member

Evening Badminton Player.
    Actually the real reason it is down is because it is against an inferior player.

Now check how he prepare against Datuk Lee.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

10. DarkHiatus

17:25 racquet is almost on the floor. You got some examples?

11. Junye

Junye Regular Member

Evening Badminton Player.
    I meant ready position when receiving. After that the racket position can be anywhere as long the individual is fast enough.
    Anyway these are personal habits by professionals.

It is no means the ideal ready position nor it can improve your defence.

I worry because TS has decided that this can be used in his mixed doubles games.
    I see too many lin dan or LCW wannabes in social games and they are struggling to bring up their rackets in time to play the shot.

12. DarkHiatus

Receiving serve instead of smash defence, then?

I still don't buy the idea that KM has a less good posture/racquet carriage against weaker opponents than better opponents. It only makes sense to ready yourself the same regardless of your opposition, even if you play energy efficient strokes like clears and drops instead of smashing for points.

Off topic on LD/LCW/KM serve return stances...they can hit any part of the court whether they take it early, or later with deception, and in singles that's good enough to start a rally neutrally. The serve return itself shouldn't win points out right after all - at their level they normally to manoeuvre their opponents into a steadily weaker position through building shots before they can play a winner.

As you point out, this isn't the same in XD/MD where normally giving away an attacking opportunity IS putting you in a weaker position already i.e. allowing your opponent to take a shot significantly above net height would not be seen as a neutral start to a rally.

Junye likes this.