An ethical question..

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by newplayer, Jul 9, 2005.

1. friends101

friends101 Regular Member

i agree, beat them, u dont have to be nice to ur opponents... the point of the game is to WIN the game.. so be has harsh as u have to be

-----------------------
    I volunteered at SOS Children's Villages Canada. You can help today with a
    child sponsorship
    ----------------------------

2. suki_h

suki_h New Member

college
    what i do

if its an easy putaway against an easy/old person like a really high drop, then i would just smash it at them. not too hard, but enough to win to show them that their shot was bad and they need to improve in that area. and if its a girl but shes good then smash at her because sometimes we like it. at least i do. it shows were good enough to play guys seriously :D

3. Birdiegut

Birdiegut Regular Member

Regional sales
    Ethical Move

Hi Newplayer,
    See if u are playing a competitive game, I think u should go for all out win. If u are just playing a social and fun-filled, casual game, then I think u may use drop or deception to win the point. As long as u dont direct the shuttle to her or his eyes, I dont think it can cause much serious injury. Of course, not purposely whack someone lah!!! Be very ethical already.;)
    Lee

4. Woven

Woven Regular Member

beggar
    Yeah, agree with that. For a competitive game, u really should show no mercy at all.
    For social games, its all up to u. But u have to take another thing into consideration, some ppl might not appreciate if u keep goin easy on them (they might think that u dont consider them good enough).

5. green apple

green apple Regular Member

But when do you get the chance to do a net kill? You're always playing the back in mixed games. :p

6. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    How easy should one take on the weaker opponents? If the calibre difference between opponents is too great, it won't be enjoyable even if it's just casual rallies. There are many ways of winning a game, smash doesn't even have to come into play if one is skillful enough to place his/her shot out of reach. I think as long as mentality is 100% towards victory, efforts can be anywhere between 20% to 100%. Just don't fool around too much (eg. trickshot or inappropriate attack clears) cuz that shows contempt to your opponents. Any midcourt lifts should be put away with customary swiftness -- smash or tap down. Bad shot should be punished and taken advantage regardless of how bad the giver is;).

7. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    To me, that's quite often, as I tend to rush the net in doubles, even in mix. :p

8. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I believe there are other threads debating on this topic as well. The story always have two sides, and there's no "1 general rule" to treat all different situation.

Therefore, there's no point to get over frustrated, being either the punisher or the receiver. Remember, a sport suppose to be fun, but not require a follow up "anger management" course. If you think u can learn (either side) and dig out some fun from a game, then it's all good, regardless the score. If u can't, can really don't like ur opponents (or partner), just join another group for game, or even switch a club if necessary.

9. dummyvariable

dummyvariable Regular Member

student during the day, badminton pro wannabe by n

Agreed. I've seen the pro players at my gym change their game to accomodate the level of play of their opponents. I think it more big of a person if they can do that, rather than limiting themselves only to people of their level. :)

10. green apple

green apple Regular Member

Just on serves or during a rally? Isn't the guy supposed to be in the back most of the time..

11. dummyvariable

dummyvariable Regular Member

student during the day, badminton pro wannabe by n
    ^ Yeah, mixed doubles the guy is normally supposed to play back...LazyBuddy just plays an UN-usual game. :rolleyes:

12. nezumi

nezumi Regular Member

i dont have a problem with smashing it at people coz they came onto the court to play so they must expect a few shots aimed at them, as such. anyone else feel the same???:)

13. john10235

john10235 Regular Member

Secondary 5 student (equivalent to Grade 11)
    Be ruthless to your opponent. There is no point of giving in to them. They should have expected that the bird CAN hit their bodies. If not, tell them not to play badminton.

#73 john10235, Jul 23, 2005
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2005
  14. slvrdrgn123

slvrdrgn123 Regular Member

Improving what little skills I have
    or any sport at all if they dont expect to get hit.......except maybe swimming ;)

15. Hawkefire

Hawkefire Regular Member

Well the girls i play with are all doubles players and have wicked defense so i smash at them all the time. Even when i play some of the elderly people at my club just for a social game, i still do half-smashes and net kills for the practise. I try to smash where i think they will be able to return it instead of trying to beat them with it. But thats only how i play against the elderly folks.:D:D:D

16. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Yes, I know it might look weired. Many ppl were laughing when they see me covering the front sometimes. However, if it works, it works, right? :rolleyes: