Launcher Shuttlecock - Baddy - Cheap - Open Source

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by satel, Jul 23, 2017.

1. satel

satel New Member

Hi all
    I don't where to post...
    A new projet launch today, name Baddy (open source badminton Robot)
    It's a robot launcher shutttlecock, cheap

Info about crowdfounding KickStarter (1 month)

Sorry for my english

I'm not the founder

eelvis likes this.
  2. phihag

phihag Regular Member

Sounds great, especially because it seems way more portable than the other solutions. Backed!

3. BadBadmintonPlayer

BadBadmintonPlayer Regular Member

4kg, 90min - sounds really great!

Durability?

4. satel

satel New Member

5. phihag

phihag Regular Member

This page seems not to be ready yet, for me it shows:
    Sorry, this content isn't available right now

6. satel

satel New Member

Yes, for me too, that's why i said (i don't have facebook), maybe it's closed, I don"t know

Ask founder.. ...@gmail.com

EDIT :
    I have answer just right now :
    Facebook international, he don't have anymore administration (hack)

But you can communicate with him by email, and follow facebook france, twitter also
    https://twitter.com/baddyspace

#6 satel, Jul 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
  7. GoBaddy

GoBaddy New Member

Hi Folks,

BADDY team here ;)

Many thanks to you guys for your support. We are so sorry if our international Facebook page is still not operational. You guys can liaise on the French page GOBADDY.FRANCE - all incoming posts will be both translated in French/English, since Facebook doesn't seem to be reactive to activate our international page access.

If you guys have questions on BADDY project, we will be more than happy to answer - check our Kickstarter page first as you may have chance to find your answer. Continue to spread the word about BADDY, which aims to be the badminton community' Buddy, for all the players.

Let's GO BADDY!

BADDY team

Fidget likes this.
  8. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    I really like the idea and have considered buying a cheap one in the past but never actually did.

Although this is still quite expensive to be affordable for everyone, hopefully as this takes off you are able to offer them at a cheaper price.

Watching the video it seems that this may not be powerful enough (given it is battery powered) for some advanced players. Can it deliver smashes and hard drives/high lifts?

9. GoBaddy

GoBaddy New Member

Hello R20190, thanks for your post!

You're right, despite our effort to keep the lowest price for the campaign, BADDY is not yet affordable for everyone. We plan to create an ultra low cost DIY version for emerging market (see Baobad association in Madagascar - first club supported by BADDY everywhere - initiative to help clubs from emerging countries willing to develop badminton locally), but to enable this, we need the campaign to be successful.

As of today, BADDY has limitations (see Kickstarter page for exhaustive list). Issue is not with power, but rather with the wheels material/design not transmitting enough energy to the shuttle (thus one of the reason BADDY needs specific tailored wheels).

For smashes or any descending stroke, a tripod is needed - a tripod is not proposed in the campaign and we will certainly not develop our own - What we intend to do (described in Kickstarter roadmap section) is to develop a simple universal tripod adapter that will enable BADDY to be mounted on any tripod with a camera screw plug. BADDY is designed with a Hacker/Maker's mindset - use things you already have, and keep your money.

Is BADDY made for advanced players? BADDY has been tested with regional level players and they enjoy using it for cardio training, regularity - that's pretty cool. One true thing about BADDY: It is not the killer machine that sends 5 birdies per sec, 250km/h shot etc. It was designed to be as simple as possible: provide maximum value with maximum affordability. Clubs will use it for beginners' training sessions, some competitors' sessions. The really cool thing with BADDY is the portability: itinerant coaches will love it; clubs, leagues will love it for their external showcase sessions. And players and non players will have their Badminton Buddy.

We hope to have answered your questions about BADDY project, may you have other questions in mind, have a look at our Kickstarter page - you can post your questions here, and we will be glad to enrich FAQ.

All the best to you guys, let's spread the word and let's GO BADDY!

BADDY Team

B-J-R, phihag and R20190 like this.
  10. Elena Tran

Elena Tran New Member

Hi all,

Don't know about their kickstarter, but seems like Baddy still exists. Just had a look at their website and they're selling a V2. Any clue?

11. phihag

phihag Regular Member

Yes, Baddy still exists just fine. I got my parts, but I haven't assembled it yet. As far as I understand, the main update in v2 is better electronics (I ordered those), but maybe some of the other parts have changed as well.

12. mater

mater Regular Member

Nomad
    @phihag and others, any reviews on the Baddy? Looks interesting

13. Elena Tran

Elena Tran New Member

Thanks for your quick answer. I'm quite willing to give it a try given the low price. I'm just worried about the tinker, I would probably ask a friend to mount it for me.

14. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    I'm interested in one of these but still feel the price is a little high.

I wonder if they would welcome a badminton central "group buy" at a reduced price?

@GoBaddy ? ;)

#14 R20190, Jul 16, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
  15. Elena Tran

Elena Tran New Member

16. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    I've just messaged them about this and they replied pretty quickly but they want 20 people for a group buy discount. :(

Oh well.

17. Jay Ng

Jay Ng Regular Member

Just placed an order!

I think it’s more than a good price already considering I paid just under £300 for 15 tubes of AS20 shuttles recently.

I’m sure the Baddy will give me just as much enjoyment as the AS20s and will hopefully last a lot longer

18. Elena Tran

Elena Tran New Member

Yeah I was kind of thinking the same. Doesn't seem that expensive given the price of other launchers

19. Jay Ng

Jay Ng Regular Member

It’s also a lot more portable than other launchers and there’s no need to find a power point to plug into to get working.

20. gerry

gerry Regular Member

Can you give a review after you receive and build it ? The site seems to have gone quiet, was wondering if the project has stalled ?