Why season is in winter?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by scamp, Jul 6, 2018.

1. scamp

scamp Regular Member

In Europe why is the season through winter? In England to play in the league you have to travel in dark winter evenings to cold damp halls and then finish late. Are there not any summer leagues? What is the sole purpose in playing from October to April? It would be good to join in a summer league with light evenings and pleasant weather!

2. robfitsy

robfitsy Regular Member

There are plenty of clubs which play during the summer. You need to search or ask around. The clubs compete in tournaments during winter only.
    Same can be said of the weather now. It's absolutely unpleasant to be sweating litres and hauling wet clothes and shoes around the hall devoid of any ventilation.

3. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

It's the same in Germany. League is from September to March. The individual tournaments are in spring and summer.

4. Littlejohn

Littlejohn Regular Member

Lazy Bum
    so all the clubs struggling for members move there season to the summer.....and have to contend with football cricket rugby hockey etc for members, where is the point in that

5. Borkya

Borkya Regular Member

teacher
    Really? Leagues take a break in the summer? Maybe because of holiday time and less people around?

In China it's the opposite. We don't have any break time for clubs per say but where I live players are much more active when the weather is hot (and I live in a tropical location so hot is 40+ with humidity for about 6 months a year). I actually don't understand that because playing in winter, with temps in the 20's is MUCH more comfortable. (There is no air conditioning in courts here.)

6. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Both has its pros and cons. In summer there's a lot of drift because of the aircon/ventilation, open doors and windows and it's too hot. In winter you have to do a much longer warm up, strings break more frequently, shuttles are too slow (most clubs here have the same speed for the whole year).

7. scamp

scamp Regular Member

As far as I know it your sports like rugby, cricket etc are not played at night so where is the problem? So this is the point: In summer we do not have to contend with ice, snow, hail, freezing cold halls, late dark nights travelling with more risk of accidents. Much more pleasant. I will not be playing in winter league next season and two players I know are the same. Maybe it comes a time when some peoples enthusiasm is not what it was and therefore going out in winter nights has no appeal but if you like your winter badminton good luck! As well as this maybe you are wrong that clubs would lose players. Tell me, what is really the value of playing in winter time?

8. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

The obvious answer to your question, for northern countries, is that badminton is an indoor sport.

Growing up in Canada, when the sun and heat finally came out for those brief couple months, you would be thought an ungrateful fool not to be outside in Mother Nature biking, swimming, fishing, golfing, etc.

We have allllll winter to lock ourselves in dark, stale buildings, playing badminton, basketball, and that thing with skates and the puck. ;)

OhSearsTower and kwun like this.
  9. phihag

phihag Regular Member

In Germany, the rationale is simple: 95%+ of all clubs play in school halls, most of which are closed during the summer. But even when the halls are open, if the weather is excellent, many people prefer to enjoy the sun at an open-air pool, park, or beach somewhere.

In addition, virtually every student from primary school to university goes on vacation for 1-4 weeks during the summer, along with their parents and teachers, so there are less players to draw from in the first place.

Notably, that doesn't mean that no badminton is played in July or August in Germany: There are still plenty of tournaments. Cooperations of clubs can make sure everybody has a hall to play in, but many good players also divert to the commercial centers. Privately organized tournaments flourish between May and August, and a number of official tournaments are also happening.

10. OhSearsTower

OhSearsTower Regular Member

Absolutely makes sense in most countries to have the season in winter. The Gym saves you from bad weather and in summertime people want to enjoy the (sometimes..) good weather outside! Most ppl dont want to sweat in a Gym when there is nice weather outside! (thats not for me of course, i want to play allyearlong :D (and when I played football outside, I didnt mind so called bad weather either :cool:)

kwun likes this.