best way to improve your game, not racket, nor your smash.....

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by kwun, Jun 23, 2003.

1. lurker

lurker Regular Member

One lol bit tht improved my footwork and shots immensely was body balance/stance.

Just by keeping my other hand up to balance out the movement

justplaynow77 and s_mair like this.
  2. Lasitha Menaka

Lasitha Menaka Regular Member

i agree to your lesson foot work is a basic thing and it,s really important

3. snejainth

snejainth Regular Member

quality engieer
    there are many youtube videos and that teach 8 ways foot work , i would suggest to start with that along with ur buddy.

4. idofgrahf

idofgrahf New Member

I have found the best way to improve your game quickly (assuming you are competent with the basics) is to watch professional tournaments. Watch not for their technique which is often times too fast without slow motion capture and the average player is not going to duplicate it easily, but for their strategy, where they are hitting the shuttle, how they are maneuvering the other side etc. Techniques like reverse backhand slice, backhand clearing cross court, backhand smash, fake shots etc and footwork, these takes considerable time and effort, to the tune of a few hundred practice shots a day for months on end, but you can formulate strategy faster and this is probably the fastest way to improve your game. Ideally, you would want to have the entire rally planned out, where do I want to drop, where to smash, when to smash, when to over head etc before the shuttle is served. I had beaten players who are my betters in both technique and footwork, because they were too predictable, always drops cross court, always puts it on the net when receiving a drop etc. Besides that, I don't think footwork is any more important than techniques, you need both in equal measures, your shot is going to be poor quality if you cant position yourself right or if you don't have the skill to hit it right.

5. John Hope

John Hope New Member

my smash bother me a lot,。。

6. varinder bansal

varinder bansal New Member

Check out the actofit badminton tracker to improve your game. It provides a detailed analytics on your performance and also guides you with the essential training to improve your game.

7. dnewguy

dnewguy Regular Member

Hello all,

For everyone out there 'Beginner / Veteran' there is always room for growth or areas that needs work or could be more refined.
    No one is perfect and nobody plays his/her best every game.
    Everyone here loves badminton and want to improve their game asap and as much as possible.

That being said i agree with everyone who says Footwork is one of the most important pillar on court.
    Technique/Shot selection is EQUALLY important and i say this because they can compensate each other to some extent against players who are only a little stronger than you.
    But we all know how difficult, time consuming, energy draining and mind blowingly frustrating it is to improve upon them.
    So i will urge everyone to focus majorly upon these things but they CAN significantly improve their game by zeroing down on that ONE racquet which suits their style in other words which gives them "confidence" on every stroke.
    Of course you will need big pockets if you favour this path but hey we are talking about RESULTS asap right ?!

So yeah try out as many racquets and experiment with various grip sizes, strings, string tensions, shoes till you finally get it right.
    If you still losing in your friends circle then its a long and hard way ahead for you.

Best pf luck.

8. BadBadmintonPlayer

BadBadmintonPlayer Regular Member

I disagree. Another racket, string, shoe or tension doesn't matter if you have problems with the technique and footwork. A normal racket with the BG65 and 10kg is enough and a fitting badminton shoe. Everything else can be achieved through hard work.

ubootsg, LenaicM and Ensio like this.
  9. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    The base position is not the center area of the court. Come to think about it, one almost never stays at the geometric center of his side of the court. There's almost always a bias, the most prominent of which is the position immediately after a net shot.

#309 raymond, Jul 16, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
    ucantseeme likes this.
  10. Helen B

Helen B New Member

Badminton Training, Badminton Court Rental
    Yes, I think so too. Playing badminton is all about having a sound technique, and it involves using the hands and feet in perfect synergy. Buying a new racket on a consistent basis can only work for a badminton player if they are highly skilled and nimble on their feet. Hence any aspirant looking to become a badminton player requires to have a top-quality footwork. With that, a player gets more badminton coverage, stays in rally more, creates opportunities to score a point from virtually impossible situations.

To have this quality footwork, a badminton player has to train themselves or get badminton training club enrollment for learning that skill in an authentic and reliable manner. Badminton training helps a player to improve their technique and ability that transforms into their badminton play whether is racket handling, or footwork. As said by a prominent badminton personality and concur by many others, “70% of badminton is played based on footwork and the remaining 30% is about handy work”.

Mason likes this.
  11. LetsPlay42

LetsPlay42 New Member

Simeon likes this.
  12. surge

surge Regular Member

I improved the most in the last 2 years..by trying to coach another player in my group who want to become a better player. As a teach and watched YouTube etc in order to teach better.. I realised alot of what I do is wrong!
    Thus ended up teaching myself alot. And become mush better.

ubootsg likes this.
  13. baskar

baskar New Member

Engineer
    I am doing lot of foot works but still i fail in Singles that too against aged peoples. i am 35. lossed against 55. i dont know how to improve it!

14. akatsuki2104

akatsuki2104 Regular Member

You need to use the footworks in an actual match, at least think about it during matches. Training helps but it won't be enough

15. dnewguy

dnewguy Regular Member

You will have to do some introspection. Think back and list out how many points you lost and to which kind of shots.
    The opponent was really that good or you were giving away points by doing unforced errors.
    Was your service proper ?
    Were you able to put any kind of pressure on the opponent ?
    Or you were running the whole time and out of breath after every point ?

Usually senior players rely more on fine shot placement and clears and will will do half smashes for easy kills.

Work on these points... i don't get to play singles otherwise it gives you so much insight into the game.
    Every loss is an opportunity to improve your game.
    Good luck.

akatsuki2104 likes this.
  16. daisy92

daisy92 New Member

Thanks all for such informative suggestions. I am a beginner and new here ,,, so happy to be the part this community:)

17. ShawnK

ShawnK New Member

Perhaps, yes, it works. It's just a visualization of your actions. I heard of an experiment in which visualizing basketball players showed the same increase in playing skills as actually playing players. Why wouldn't it work for badminton?
    Hi all!

18. BadmintonDave

BadmintonDave Regular Member

I'd say it's a bit harder in badminton because it's not just hands, body etc. You have to have fine finger control.

My mens6 team got thrashed in a league match last week. Their best (and youngest) player just always knows where to put the shuttle to get a weak reply. It's good to watch him. But I would need to watch it more to understand when and why he puts the shuttle where he does.

19. ShawnK

ShawnK New Member

Of course, analyzing game matches is also an important part of learning!

20. Chris88SG

Chris88SG Regular Member

Of course footwork is important. You'll need to treat playing badminton like a form of dancing on the court like Michael Jackson or a ballerina. How are you going to perform as a good dancer without mastering the proper dance moves?

Ask former Olympic gold-medalist Susi Susanti...: