Li Xuerui ( 李雪芮 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by cobalt, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Sdrqaz

Sdrqaz Regular Member

Three titles in three tournaments. Seems like winning is a hard habit to beat

2. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

Li Xuerui hates gym. No wonder she keeps winning.

3. spidey

spidey Regular Member

freelance
    what does gym gotta do with winning?

4. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Allow me to repost what I wrote at the CAN Open 2018 thread:

Couldn't believe what I saw in G3 of the Li Xuerui vs Sayaka Takahashi finale. I was as astonished as LXR who presumably couldn't believe her good fortune in clinching her second title in two consecutive weeks against all odds, so much so she slumped to the floor upon winning her final point and lay on her back for quite a while,overwhelmed, hands on her face and probably shedding tears of joy. Even her coach came onto court to congratulate her and , perhaps, to check if she's all right lying on the floor.

Honestly, after failing to convert three gamepoints in G1 albeit winning the deuce straight, I had thought LXR was a spent force and would most likely go down tamely the next two sets and that seemed to be case in the first half of G2 though Sayaka briefly allowed her back into the game but to no avail in the end.

Then G3 turned out to be an eye-popping display by LXR of what I've never expected of her, exhibiting tenacity and fighting spirit to stay within striking distance coupled with some clever tactics to finally prevail over her opponent by sheer willpower and determination to emerge on top. Can't get any better than that, particularly for someone who's just back from a long injury layoff.

Well, as for Sayaka Takahashi, I can only say she had herself to blame as I really thought the 2nd and 3rd game were hers for the taking as LXR appeared overcome by the toll of accumulated fatigue, sluggish and erratic in her shotmaking. In fact, throughout the match, rather the entire week, I don't remember LXR ever scrambling for any shot but instead simply letting it go than exert more effort than she'd like to, partly due to her mobility issue at the moment and also to safeguard her knee.

It's my opinion that ST lacked the court sense not to rush and force the issue too much whereby in her eagerness to finish off the rallies she ended up making her fair share of unforced errors as her visibly fatigued opponent. In other words, she might do better by constructing the rallies more while biding her time to attack and in the process also draining her opponent's energy as much as possible.

In conclusion, who would've expected, least of all me, that, of all persons, Li Xuerui is the one to conquer the Americas in crowning glory on her comeback trail. True, it's just two small trophies, not such a big deal but it's exactly the kind of start that she needed most to set her on the path to ascend to the summit once again. Great job, Li Xuerui. Keep going. Keep fighting. Keep it up. Way to go !

5. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Can't wait to see Li Xuerui compete at the highest level as I believe she will soon.

Li Xuerui has just reaped a good harvest in her American campaign tour, garnering two titles and earning herself 12,500 ranking points (7000 at US Open WTS300 + 5500 at CAN Open WTS100).

At the rate she's going, I trust it won't be long before she rises through the ranks and joined the top elites, much sooner than we all expected of her at first.

Heartiest congratulations to Li Xuerui for her resounding success in conquering the two BWF World Tour titles on offer in the American continent back-to-back at one go, to boot beating 13 opponents in two weeks, four of them inside the world's top 20, one of them twice, viz., Zhang Beiwen, Michelle Li (2x), Sayaka Takahashi, and Sayaka Sato - certainly no mean feat for someone who has to start at rock bottom. Jiayou !

Nine Tailed Fox likes this.
  6. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

There must have been huge pressure on her shoulders,
    After 2 years,
    And after that Uber Cup outing

'Should she be back to the court?'
    'Should she play internationally?'
    'Should she represent China in Uber Cup?'
    'What kind of rubbish performance was that?'

And now she proves that she can still at least be on top 15 again by winning back2back in 2 weeks

Congratulations Li Xuerui

LenaicM likes this.
  7. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Right, she was castigated online for that disastrous humiliating defeat at the Uber Cup, leaving many skeptical about her career comeback. But now with her unexpected double victory in North America, she has more or less redeemed herself as the Chinese newsmedia and online fora are suddenly abuzz with praises for her extraordinary feat.

Actually, what's more impressive is not that she won two back-to-back titles but that she achieved it despite her current uncertain physical condition and mindset pre-tournament and that against all odds having to play several more matches than all her opponents individually, 12 out of the 13 , the exception being Natalie Chi in the US Open qualifier .

In fact, at the CAN Open from QFs to the Final, all her three JPN opponents each played seven matches fewer than her in the past two weeks. All this bearing in mind she is just three months back from a nearly two-year break after that horrendous injury sustained at Rio'16 , pardon me for repeating myself.

8. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

this is not completely true though, because the Japaneses have another local tournament at home

9. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Oh? That domestic JPN tournament finished just the week before the CAN Open? OK, point taken.

stanleyfm likes this.
  10. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I've just scanned the tournament schedule, Li Xuerui has no event next month, and not sure if there's any for her in August as there are only the Viet Open WTS100 and the Spanish WTS300 eligible for her, apart from the Asian Games which she's not qualified to go.

Maybe the AG Team Event ? But after what happened to her at the Uber Cup, I wonder if the CHN coaches would select her for WS3 again. Let's wait and see.

Meanwhile, she has to get into the WR top 32 as quickly as possible in order to play the BWF Grade 2 Level 2 and 3 World Tour Events. As of now, despite adding the 12,500 points gained from the North American expedition, she is still short, based on my estimation, probably around 35.

11. Ashutosh Dubey

Ashutosh Dubey New Member

She is currently ranked 57 in WS ranking. I wonder why she is participating in neither in Russia Open nor in Akita Masters (Both are WTS100 and are at same time)?

12. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Yes, I stand corrected, I forgot the previous week's 7,000 points at the US Open was already included, thanks.

As to why she's not playing the two WTS100 events you mentioned, I guess that's because none of her colleagues are going, so no coach or anybody will be accompanying her there and it's not the practice for any MA player other than independents to travel alone to any such tournaments.

Not sure how she's going to enrol for the China Open WTS1000 on home soil in September nor the JPN Open WTS750 before that. At most we might see her taking part in the Asian Games team event as WS3 if she's selected.

13. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Just found out that CBA is sending some participants to the Akita Masters WTS100 event in Japan this month from the 24th, with Lu Guangzu, and two other relative unknown MS in the main draw, no qualifier, and three WS Fan Mengyan, Wu Yihan and Hui Xirui who have to play the qualifiers.

Why no Li Xuerui ? I suspect she's undergoing training for the Asian Games team event.

Understandably, the Russian Open WTS100 which is held concurrently as the Akita Masters has no CHN participants. In fact, as far as I can remember, CHN has never taken part in Russian tournaments. This one is in Vladivostock, located very near to North-east China, not far from Beijing, should be convenient to travel there. So, why not as there are many 2nd tier and junior level players available to choose from and who would gladly go.

14. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Somewhat surprised that Li Xuerui wasn't selected to play the Asian Games Team Event as WS3 or reserve. The author in the article I posted http://sports.qq.com/a/20180725/041174.htm, merely said it doesn't really make sense for her to play the team event where ranking points awarded aren't hgh as it's better for her, now WR59, to concentrate on taking part in some other WTS events, even WTS750 and 500 from the qualification rounds, if possible, to garner more ranking points and raise her world ranking as quickly as she can.

However, on second thought, I suspect it could have something to do with her Uber Cup fiasco in the final which caught the CHN coaches by surprise as it was so disappointing, nay, humiliating, that I think Zhang Ning was self-reproachful for deciding on selecting LXR for that role that she felt she, Zhang Ning herself, should take responsibility for the shocking outcome, not so much for the LXR's defeat but the way she played and lost. Added to it the afterthought that LXR was likely under tremendous pressure to deliver and could be subjecting herself to risk of injury that might be career-ending, thus cutting short her comeback as warned by Cai Yun who criticised the inclusion of LXR in the Uber Cup team in the first place, probably pained Zhang Ning so much that she decided to tender her resignation, that's why Luo Yigang was promoted to take her place as WS chief coach.

But reporters who talked to CBA officials was told the rumour of Zhang Ning's resignation or dismissal was unfounded, and that nothing was confirmed yet but to wait for further news of CBA announcement regarding the matter later. This made me speculate that Zhang Ning could have resigned on impulse to take personal responsibility for the Uber Cup semifinal debacle but I think the Head Coach and higher ups might've asked her to take a short break to get over it and think through it carefully before making up her mind about it. Just saying.

In conclusion, I think the Head Coach and his coaching team are reluctantly to risk a repeat of the Uber Cup flop at the Asian Games team event.

15. GingerCorslette

GingerCorslette Regular Member

Next tournaments?

16. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

The Victor Korea Open WTS500 as a qualifier.

GingerCorslette likes this.
  17. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Too bad, Li Xuerui's world ranking is too low to play at the JPN Open WTS750 nor the home China Open WTS1000, both of which have no qualification rounds, not even as reserve.

18. GingerCorslette

GingerCorslette Regular Member

Thanks for the info.

19. Banuka

Banuka Regular Member

Why didn't she participate in spain open 300 event?

20. Banuka

Banuka Regular Member

If she I can't increase her ranking shi will not able to participate china masters 750 event also