YONEX ASTROX 88S & 88D (2018)

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by T.O.P, Jan 16, 2018.

1. jacc

jacc New Member

Happy Astrox 88th page for this thread ;)

2. pierreyj

pierreyj Regular Member

God of badminton did not want your post to end up on the 88th page obviously :D

Quentin11 likes this.
  3. It'sMeMeMe

It'sMeMeMe Regular Member

yes finally..... inconsistency... ax88s was too wobbly and too inconsistent although probably just 1 bad sample.... ax88d fared much better... less issue with inconsistency, powerful, better control and handling than zf2 and most other rackets... too bad i'm too lazy right now to find that 85gr one... am just waiting for the next iteration of ax i guess

4. Kingsley90

Kingsley90 Regular Member

Anyone can give me suggestion whether switching from Voltric LD Force to Astrox 88 will be any issue for me.. planning to get an ax77 or 88 strung with bg66 ultimax. Been using LD force for sometime with bg65 ti, it’s been a good experience for me at first few months but feel it lacks of accuracy recently. Any good suggestion for me ?

5. RajUS

RajUS Regular Member

.. I did switch from LDF ( 3U ) to 88S ( 3U ) , I did not have any issue , please read my review ( personal ) few pages back ..

6. Kingsley90

Yeah i did.. i’m using a LDF 4u currently, any issue on the stiffness if i change from stiff to let’s say ax77(medium stiff) ? Still confuse which one to choose ax77 or ax88.. just worry that the stiffness will affect my performance. Do you have shuttle hitting timing issue after switching ?

7. RajUS

RajUS Regular Member

Choosing racket is sensitive thing .. Its like a dress , looks good on other might not look same on us .. I personally did not like ax77 at as I am used to playing stiff / extra stiff rackets .. with A88S ( 3U ) I did not have an issue .. I had a thought I might not like this racket .. but I am pretty happy with AS88S and I liked it so much I ordered A88D ( 3U ) as well to replace my LDF ( 3U ) .. if you are used to "Solid" feel in LDF you might not get that in Astrox , they are much of whipping feel ... More importantly you need to see which string with what tension suits your game most .. either of the thing can impact the performance and the feedback you want ...

Racket Type + String + Tension everyone will perform differently .. You get a correct combination after several experiments .. Whenever you get a feedback from others, do not just impressed with that , do your own practical analysis with the type of level you are at and whats your play style ... Till date noone knows the perfect combination.

Kingsley90 likes this.
  8. steef77

steef77 New Member

badmnton
    What is the weight of the astrox 88s 3U, with strings?

9. Kingsley90

Thanks for sharing such a good experience.. today manage to get a testing on the unstrung ax88s 4u, it gave me a very flexible and light feelings yet solid compare to ax88D and ax77.. maybe because of the 5mm shorter shaft..

I think i will either go for ax88s or ax88d due to the shaft stiffness.. really wish to know how’s the feeling of ax88D compare to LDF.. Do share your experience here after you get a try on it ! Thanks bro!

10. steef77

steef77 New Member

badmnton
    Anybody i have a astrox 88s 4u witch is 88 grams with yonex bg 66 force. I am curios what the 3u weights with strings? Nobody knows?

I must say the arcsaber 3u weight allmost 95 grams. I miss some extra power with the 4u 88s.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G950F met Tapatalk

11. ant01

ant01 Regular Member

Anyone got the balance points for both 88S & 88D? I couldn't find it earlier in this thread.

12. rbynck

rbynck Regular Member

I went for the 3U 88S after all the good reviews. I really like my DZS, and as VA went to 88S I thought it would have some of the same characteristics, however to me, the 88S feels like a noodle in comparison to the DZS.
    The very stiff flex on the DZS makes the 88S feel like a medium and even though the 88S is head-heavy, it doesn't really feel that head-heavy.
    I am going to try and up my tension on the 88S to 32 lbs, whereas my DZS usually is strung around 29-31 lbs. Hopefully this will regain some of the feel, that I am used to getting from the DZS.

13. Konquerian

Konquerian Regular Member

Balance point provided by MBS:

88s bp: 293-296mm
    88d bp: 295-298mm

ant01 likes this.
  14. Konquerian

Konquerian Regular Member

LDF feels head heavier than 88d. And although the 88d has a little more power than 88s, it still outputs less power than LDF, in my opinion. Though with less power, you do gain steeper angles, faster speed, and more control. If you're currently using the LDF and looking for more power, I feel the 88d is not the one. But if you're looking for more control and faster speed, and don't mind giving up a little bit of power, I feel that the 88d is a good candidate.

Recovery is also much faster with the 88d, allowing you to prepare for the next shot quicker, where the LDF lacks behind in that department. But in terms of power, you won't get the power smash with the 88d, like you get with the LDF, which is the only downside that I would say about the 88d, but the superb control more than makes up for that, in my opinion. Stiffness wise, I feel that the LDF is a tad stiffer, and I'm guessing it's because of the difference in shaft material.

#1774 Konquerian, Jun 19, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
  15. rbynck

rbynck Regular Member

Little update. Went for BG80 @ 32 lbs and it helped a little, however the feel of the 88S is still weird. It seems to be stiff enough overall, however the first bit of flex seems very flexy, so drop shots and slices feel has very little control as the racket bends even though I am not putting any "real" force through it. On all out smashes the first bit bends and then it feels like a "Stiff"-rated racket.
    Will probably stay with my DZS..

16. Leo tan

Leo tan Regular Member

With BG80, does it has a better feel when hitting the shuttle?
    Currently my 88D with thin string, the feedback isn't as much as my DZS thin string (Li Ning No1)
    Wanted to try on BG80, but afraid the repulsion will not be there.

17. gkteong

gkteong Regular Member

Hi all, anyone have switched from Arcsaber 11 to AX88 S/D? please share your view.

18. rbynck

rbynck Regular Member

Can't really say how your 88D is going to behave, however the 88S with BG80 was the best feeling combo (Only tried R4X Momone, GT5 and BG80).

19. garra

garra Regular Member

Got 88d 4U, 12,5/13kg black bg80. Played with lot of stuff like Ashaway xspeed 4u (Gosen GTONE5/xfire 66), zf2 4u (bg80), arc 11 3u (bg80), LDF 3u. We can say I like 4U more, Im more like control-defense guy.
    I just did 2 session with racket and overall im very happy, but noticed something I didnt notice in let say Ashaway xspeed, like if not hitting sweetspot shuttle goes nowhere. So shuttle coming to my backhand I need to take step to front and left side to intercept,stretch arm, place shuttle just after the net with liiittle slice let say. This works in most of cases but in lot of cases shuttle ends in net and I feel "vibration"/ misshit/dead zone. I'm pretty sure I didnt misshit near the frame, its just like sweetspot is very small or string is just dead like. Also doing clear battles, one clear perfect,another perfect, another perfect, then I guess slight misshit clear again that "vibration"/dead zone and clear is nowhere near last line, it just dies. What do you think, is this more like BG80 story and should try something more forgiving like or this is "very demanding racket" and is expected to hit every stroke perfectly?

Leo tan likes this.
  20. Quentin11

Quentin11 Regular Member

I have received my A88D 3U today.

Is it safe to use it for a first time in a competition tomorrow?

Or should I stick to my D10 for the competition?