Lin Dan ( 林丹 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by seawell, Oct 29, 2004.

1. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Good point, I agree,and I think XXZ do too.

Nine Tailed Fox likes this.
  2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I think the team event is played before the individual event in Asian games.

3. hyun007

hyun007 Regular Member

No idea what he is aiming for this year.

#11163 hyun007, Jun 14, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  4. risii

risii Regular Member

maybe he doesnt know as well and thats why he is just out there but not playing badminton at all

5. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Probably either maximum exposure or doesn't really have a plan and just takes things as they come

6. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

How could a player run out of ideas of what to aim? There must be something out there..

7. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

Rumours in Weibo that LD celebrated heavily with team mates, friends and housewife the Thomas Cup 2018 triumph.

He is a bit overweight now and will work out to get slim when World Championships comes around the corner.

8. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Why is it so unbelievable and yet so believable? :D:D

Nine Tailed Fox likes this.
  9. Nine Tailed Fox

Ranking Lin Dan's Top Three Blockbuster victories of 2018

AT NUMBER 3 - Lin Dan vs Wang Tzu Wei, ALL ENGLAND ROUND OF 16

21-13 23-21

The first set was one of the best sets, Lin Dan has played so far this year. Tzu Wei was constantly on the backfoot puzzled by Lin Dan's deceptions. The second set was actually more tighter than the scoreline suggests, Tzu Wei had 3 Game Points and Lin Dan's stamina seemed to be fading and I really believed Tzu Wei Wang would have 70 - 30 chance in the decider against the aged Dan but Lin played two minutes of absolutely cold blooded badminton that I doubted was possible for him and clinched the match from the jaws of defeat similar to Taufik Hidayat's Doha heroics in Asian Games 2006 Final where he himself admitted how crucial was to win the second set from stamina point of view.

AT NUMBER 2 - Lin Dan vs Jonatan Christie, NEW ZEALAND BWF300 FINAL

21-14 21-19

By Lin Dan's own admission, a really pleasing victory which made him feel like he was in his youth again. Lin Dan gave a badminton clinic to an inspired Christie who had booted out Dan in the first round of China Open last fall. A statement giving triumph for Dan who turned back the clock coming from 12-19 down in the second game to clinch the title 21-19. A moment of Pure Comedy in the same second set when Lin Dan......''took the towels in his own hand''

THE NUMBER 1 - Lin Dan vs Lee Chong Wei

21-16 21-17

The vintage Super Dan in full flow. Simple as that! Lee Chong Wei was off to a flyer racing away to a 5-1 lead, Lin was looking to calm the nerves and that's exactly what he did. 5-5 and fans felt like we were in 2011 once again....Back and forth, classic attack vs defence, control vs Brute Force, brain vs brawl...and LCW was coming on top , 15-12 in the favour of the Malaysia but then TURNED ON the all out attack of Lin Dan and Chong Wei didn't have a prayer losing 9 out of the remaining 10 points of the set. An emphatic 21-16 win for Lin Dan despite trailing in the scoreboard for most part of the Game.

In the Second Game, we witnessed what we exactly know, Lin Dan is superior to Lee CW ...full stop! Chong Wei just can't penetrate LD's defence, nor can he play the game of Chess with Dan. In the long drawn out rallies, Chong Wei falls prey to Lin Dan's injection of pace and eventually feels desperate to play a suicidal all or nothing game which results in THE EXPECTED!

ratul_kai and garra like this.
  10. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Nice troll dude. Keep putting in the effort. :D

11. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Is he trolling for giving his opinion based on facts, which you can agree or disagree ? Seems to me, you're trolling him.

At first, I thought by three blockbuster victories, he's referring to tournament wins, not matches. My picks of the three best Lin Dan matches so far in 2018 may not exactly coincide with his, and as we're only half way through the year, I'd like to wait until the year is out to make my selection.

12. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I mean, if what Nine Tailed Fox did with that post is considered trolling, wouldn't Gillian Clark, Morten Frost, and sometimes Steen Pedersen, be guilty of the same in their commentaries many a time, esp when they were gushing over certain players, sometimes repeatedly ?

And what about those youtubers who made special videos of certain players with superlative titles or claims ?

#11172 Justin L, Jun 17, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
  13. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

The hyperbole description of the LCW vs LD match is definitely over the top intentionally, and he has posted things like that before. Relax, no one doubted your personal God's 'best ever' status :D

14. JamesParker

JamesParker New Member

Well, the win was worth celebrating. So, why wouldn't LD? But you're right, he is definitely overweight and should get slim for WC.

#11174 JamesParker, Jul 3, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  15. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Celebrating one or two days doesn't make you overweight though...just sayin....someone must have slacked off longer than that

16. Nine Tailed Fox

I loved his Malaysia Open 2017 physique. So slim.

17. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

From what I've gathered and known about Lin Dan these few years post-LOG'12 or , esp, after the Guangzhou WC'13, he's become a changed man with different priorities in life, even for his badminton goals and final stretch of his career.

Unconsciously, he's lost the hunger to keep winning even though consciously he says nobody likes to lose, including himself. You just have to ask Li Yongbo who was the first to point that out to him when he was humiliated by Jorgensen in the 2015 WC (Lin Dan skipped the 2014 WC due to low ranking and BWF refused to award him another wild card entry as in 2013). LYB also said Lin Dan is one guy who has to be pushed or threatened by justifiable (not unreasonable) punishment, such as deselection for the Rio Olympics if his world ranking drops to the point where he's relegated to MS3 in China behind Chen Long and Tian Houwei and LYB is not willing to select him over THW, for example - then he'll feel a sense of crisis and be roused to action to set things right as he went on to land the Japan Open SS title in september beating Viktor Axelsen on the final

Or another way is to criticise or shame him obliquely by doubting his ability to win anymore by lamenting and insinuating that he's getting old and on the way out as that would goad him into wanting to prove you wrong. That's what I suspect happened in early 2016 when one of his coaches (Li Zhifeng, my speculation) supposedly cast doubts on his ability to clinch any titles or win the finals owing to his 'advanced' age and it actually galvanised him to emerge victorious at the All England for the sixth time in his career.

Just maybe after three consecutive embarrassing early exits, R1 to Lee Dong Keun in US Open, R2 to Shi Yuqi in last week's MAS Open, and today in R1 to H S Prannoy - in contrast to his perpetual rival, Lee Chong Wei, who delighted his fans and stirred the imagination of badminton enthusiasts all over the world with his sterling victory over the impressive comeback kid, Kento Momota, in the MAS Open final last Sunday on homeground - it might be the timely impetus Lin Dan needed to raise his game to or near his highest level once more at the forthcoming Nanjing World Championships for yet another historic victory, extending his record-breaking world titles to six !

I feel, it's just as well that he dropped out of the Asian Games following the World Championships both in August, dashing his hopes of getting another shot at his 3rd AG crown for failing to grab one of the two qualifying spots as it forces him to focus solely on another crack at the World Title.

If LCW at age 35 can do it in Malaysia, his home country with his many vociferous fans, why not Lin Dan , 34 going 35, not do the same in China on home soil with his legions of fans not only back home but all over the world ?! Let's wait and see if what I expressed turns into reality or mere wishful thinking. One can only hope, and dream.

Lin Dan, LCW has raised the bar, now it's your turn.

18. Nine Tailed Fox

Lin Dan : I have raised it 20 times already.

19. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Not in the last 2 years though

20. Nine Tailed Fox

Lin Dan vs Datuk Lee Chong Wei |2017| 21-19 21-12
    Lin Dan vs Datuk Lee Chong Wei |2017| 21-13 21-15 (embarrassing)
    Lin Dan vs Defending Champion Datuk Lee Chong Wei |2018| 21-16 21-17