YONEX ASTROX 88S & 88D (2018)

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by T.O.P, Jan 16, 2018.

1. Konquerian

Konquerian Regular Member

I think it might be the shorter length. That 5mm difference seems little, but it really holds an impact. I remembered when I first tried the 88s I had timing issues with it, as well. You definitely need a little more time to adjust your swing with the 88s to get it right. My cousins experienced the same thing, so it is definitely not a unique weird experience .

2. Yong

Yong Regular Member

ICT consultant
    The other night i had the opportunity to play with my new Astrox 88d 3ug4 from France. I read that many of you use g5 and wrap as minimal as possible overgrips.. for me i have big hands so i put 2 thin .55 overgrips over the original g4 yonex grip!
    I must say i am already impressed by the rackets opportunities.
    Kon already reviewed the racket extensively and quite a number of his points i can agree on, so far as i have explored.
    What surprised me was that it suits me well also in a singles match. The recovery shot goes awesome... being late for a clear i was able to hit the shuttle from behind me and where normally i would not reach much further than 3/4 of the court in such a position, it was easy to get it to full court.
    With the service i need some time to adapt, it looks like its needs a bit more explicit movement than i am used to. Also the raw power i have yet to experience, till now i was busy with trying shots and placements.

Quentin11 likes this.
  3. badmintony

badmintony Regular Member

Must be the shorter length indeed. But what’s weird with the experience was that I’ve already played with this racket for sometime now since I got it, but in that particular session it was like all of a sudden I had to adjust again to it as if it was the first time I was using it:confused:

I was using the N9II before I switched to it. The dark side must've cursed my timing for that moment out of envy:D

4. badmintony

I do walling a lot too when not playing or during my spare time to get used to the feel of it. Somehow it helps.

5. Quentin11

Quentin11 Regular Member

I'm hearing a lot about this N9ii ... is it that good?

6. badmintony

It's good and to some extent an awesome experience using it for many of us who own it, but it may or may not suit you as we already know about this fact in terms of racket-player compatibility. I believe many of us here who like it are using it for doubles.

You said you play mostly singles so I'm not that sure whether you would find this good for you as well even though you described your playing style as that of an intermediate. I haven't played with the rackets you have, so I really can't compare. Konquerian did a nice review on the Li-Ning N9II thread and you can have an idea on how this racket is.

Quentin11 likes this.
  7. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    It most certainly is personal. I for one quite dislike all the time I've spent with n9ii personally.

Quentin11 likes this.
  8. Parth Nayak

Parth Nayak Regular Member

And I on other hand simply love my n9-2 . Have 3 of them ( technically one, two are my wife's rackets) and very soon will add another one ( have been loathing for camo color) or 88D soon.

9. badmintony

You always have a love it then hate it relationship with rackets:D:D:D

10. Parth Nayak

Parth Nayak Regular Member

Yes, true . You simply have to play yourself to know whether the weapon is for you or not. The worst part is that none of players around know about 88s or D so can't try someone else and only 4U is available here so 3u 88D will be totally blind buy .. to press or not press the buy button . The eternal question ;)

11. Quentin11

Quentin11 Regular Member

Press it man!!!!

This guy @swsh virtually made me press the button + I had to have the racket Momota was using.

12. Konquerian

Konquerian Regular Member

I've been using the n9ii for about a year now, and it's definitely an awesome doubles racquet. But like all racquets, it's very personal, and there's no one racquet for all. In my opinion, the n9ii is a combination of speed, power, and control in one package. Even after spending some time with the 88s and 88d, I'm still in love with my n9ii, and keeping it as my main, so to me it is that good .

The 88s and 88d are awesome racquets, as well, and I'm sure they will have places in many players' bags (including mine ). If you have a chance to try out the n9ii, I would suggest to give it a try. If not, the 88s and 88d are also excellent choices.

Quentin11 likes this.
  13. Quentin11

Quentin11 Regular Member

I don't think I'll ever get a chance into testing the n9ii given that Li-Ning is not very popular in my country neither is Victor. We are more of an Apacs and Yonex market.

But yeah I already bought the 88D for reasons I stated earlier and expecting a lot from it. See post #1616

It's been 3 days already since they posted it and the wait is getting too hard now.

14. Master

Master Regular Member

And it will kill you as you said before :D

15. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    I'm afraid it never was a pleasant relationship in the first place. You could say since holding the racket for the first time even. Almost as if we were never meant for each other.

#1695 swsh, Jun 9, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
  16. Quentin11

Quentin11 Regular Member

Yeah I had to go through rounds of negotiations and explain the reasons why I am buying another racket despite I already have two expensive ones and the Apacs.

I just told them that they would not understand as it was purely on badminton terms.

All that even though it is my money xD damn.

So we finally decided that I would not buy it. Then seeing the discount you can get from Shuttle House. It made a new case and I won. XD

I'm just hoping I can tell everyone that it is the perfect racket for me now.

17. Master

Master Regular Member

But it seems Yonex is preparing the new one for 2019. How can you resist about the upcoming (possibly bigger demand)?

Let's see if the name would be 99s and 99d for 2019 :cool:

Quentin11 likes this.
  18. Quentin11

Quentin11 Regular Member

No, no one is gonna get me this time.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

In any case if they are coming up with another one it'll be the Z frame version which as per the norm is always a little bit harder to use than the other ones. :D

So, this 88D also turned out to be my best bet which also pushed me into buying it. I really hope it meets my expectation. :confused::confused::confused:

Master likes this.
  19. RajUS

RajUS Regular Member

My friend - I am pretty impressed with 88S but I need slight ( a pinch of ) more power and better handling from back court , I play mixed doubles as well , 88S is full filling the need but still there is something which I am looking a bit more to feel better in my smashes , back court clears , drops , flat powerful shots.. I am sure 88D is going to give that ... Another reason, I feel it will be better than 3U LDF specially for handling backhand clears and flicks.

20. Quentin11

Quentin11 Regular Member

Flicks is another reason i'm having a lot of hope on this racket! I have to wait 14 days for delivery ... its only 3 days now. The agony!!!!! :mad::mad::mad: