An ethical question..

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by newplayer, Jul 9, 2005.

1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    You could do what I do. Mess around the net and make them run sideways a lot :p

Huh, Once I did this in Pleasanton in SF. The girl got most of the shots back :mad:

So then I started smashing at her gradually increasing the power (testing her returns) and won a few points that way. Later she said she used to be on her school team. It was all good - we both got a good game out of it. Badminton would be boring otherwise.

Obviously I wouldn't do a full smash on a helpless person standing at the front - guy or girl.

Just assess the situation and play a little bit past that person's ability, I doubt Fu Hai Feng would do a full power smash against a novice player - no reason to do so.

2. Kamen

Kamen Regular Member

Self-Employed
    I have a 71 year old player in my group too but i would smash at him! Some of you would think this is not ethical. I honestly think that smash is the best shot.

When you come to think about it, returning a smash is easier from the perspective of a 71 year old. Generally, older players are good in defence but not mobile.

Have you seen players that fool around when given an easy kill ie a half court return. Instead of a smash, they will drop or lob. When you drop or lob, the older players standing further away from the net anticipating a smash would have to move. To me, those shots are unethical!

3. Dave18

Dave18 Regular Member

Student
    Wow, I didn't even realize that, that's a great way to start off a conversation. "Hey, I didn't mean to hit you there, are you okay?", then that leads into a deeper conversation. :D

So yes, smashing at a girl does have its advantages. I don't see any disadavantages unless you have a guilty conscience.

4. ErrBerr

ErrBerr Regular Member

Student
    Dave.. just don't smash it to the extent where you may need to give her mouth-to-mouth resuscitation ;).. (may be impossible but who knows; anything is possible.. :rolleyes: )

5. juris

juris Regular Member

night stalker
    I am sure he would appreciate it if you play your own game, meaning smash, drop, loob and make him run all around the court. That is what we do here to a sixty niner who appreciates a good game. Mind you however, this sixty niner can REALLY play. :rolleyes:

6. green apple

green apple Regular Member

And I thought there would never be any chance for picking up girls on the court. Maybe guys aren't completely repulsed by girls who suck at badminton? :p

The impact of a smash isn't quite so scary for me. Like someone else already said, at worst, it only stings or leaves a bruise. I think it's more of a mentality issue. I get scared and tend to turn away when I see a bird coming towards me at super fast speeds (bad, I know). And that fake drop thing.. :crying:, it works all the time against me.

7. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    100% agree.

Right before 1 of the local tourny, 2 friends (a mxd pair) came to me and asked me to help them training. Partly because I want to help them to boost up confidence (newly paired up), partly due to some other reason, I tend to play loosely in the practice games. I did a lot of lift instead of my usual drive/drop/net kill comb. They ended up with quite a few victories against me, and might be a bit over confident?

However, with lack of hard practice (push them to the edge type), they were not really physcially and mentally ready for the real matches. Therefore, they performed a bit lower than expectation, and ended up with many unforced error.

Afterward, I felt very upset and guilty for the results. I was the one simply wasted their time and chance to get some real training. Instead, I just let them win w/o give a real fight, when they suppose to get used to, when the competition goes on. :cool: Therefore, they did not get the chance to find their weakness, and let the victory blind their eyes.

8. slvrdrgn123

slvrdrgn123 Regular Member

Improving what little skills I have
    lol, i do that too, but only if i gave a bad return at the front of the court giving them a chance for a kill. :(

also, wut do u mean by fake drop?

9. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    I think she meant a fake smash...a huge windup smash preparation shot that turned into a drop:D. It looks good when executed properly, but I think there's too much wasted motion though and might compromise accuracy in placement. It's much better to use the SAME preparation swing for ALL overhead shots. That would be the ideal deception -- let the opponent fool himself.

#49 cappy75, Jul 12, 2005
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2005
  10. slvrdrgn123

slvrdrgn123 Regular Member

Improving what little skills I have
    o, those. hate them.

11. splinter

splinter Regular Member

Student
    I guess it really depends on the type of game you are playing..

If its just some easy-going hit-around session.. why border to smash? its for the fun of it anyway.. Furthermore... if the girl is just some beginner standard... smashing would only make the game short (maybe just one or 2 hits).. would it be fun (for you and for them)? As for the elders.. stroking with them would be just enough.. maybe a few occasionally smahes as they would have know how to return it.. thus keeping the "rally" going..

If its a competitve match.. everyone has the mentality to win.. so having no mercy would be the way.. regardless of gender or age.. besides everyone enters a competition besides to win, is also for exprience in the game.. they don't learn unless you give them the hard way as the meaning of crappy75 is trying to bring out..

12. green apple

Yes, that's exactly what I meant. I find it funny how some guys add in the extra sound effects ("AHHHH") for intimidation.

13. YS_Po

YS_Po Regular Member

Actually, when guys smash at me... I dont really mind... but I get kinda annoyed when they say sorry to me over and over again and the other guy would go "i cant believe u smashed a GIRL!"

and as for playing beginners, smashing is good... when i was starting out, guys would always smashed me (not really at, well.. most of the time)... they always try to tell me to return them... and i just get scared. but eventually i started returning them. so it's all good =)

14. kaizen

kaizen Regular Member

Student
    if i were in your position, i would feel guilty too..but then i would see his weak points and make shots which are a bit difficult for him, but yet not too difficult..in this way he can make an extra effort which will most likely improve him or even simply be more fun..imagine if you were playing a game in which you just have to stand in one place and play with your basic strokes..it may be fun for some, but i think most will find it boring..try to see from his point of view too, maybe you'll see clearer and decide what to do..well even at the age of 71, he still plays badminton because he likes it and would probably find fun..try to give him some fun and thrill to repay for his kindness to teach you..if you play better strokes he may even feel happy..

15. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

It gets very predictable especially when they do a good one the first time and then attempt more later in the game. The next time they do that, you could just wait until the shuttle leave their racquets and then sprint up to the net with your racquet up to tap it down:D.

The key things to tap those fakies down are preparation in your stance (keep racquet up and infront with center of gravity slightly forward) and confidence in your defense. Once you get those in you, the opponents can do all kinds of fancy shitz and you can still make them eat it:p.

There's a guy at our club that does that all the time. He's pretty good player but abit unorthodox. The yelling fake smash works for him. However it's quite another matter when he faces faster opponents;).

#55 cappy75, Jul 14, 2005
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2005
  16. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

See guys! You actually annoy girls more when you apologise for nothing. They maybe less skillful the first few times you smash at them but they'll eventually learn to defend against your shots and perhaps even make you paid for them:p. We all go to baddy sessions to have good games and perhaps get an excellent workout for the day. There's really no need to feel guilty about anything you do normally in your game. Make everyone stronger and your games will get much better and more fun in the progress:).

#56 cappy75, Jul 14, 2005
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2005
  17. Flook

Flook New Member

Think of it this way, your helping them improve by streching their game- as long as your not pumeling them into the ground that is.:)

18. green apple

Yes, but they don't learn that their shots are bad. That's how I learn to drop, my opponents would always smash down if it's too high. :p

19. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Then, it pushes u to learn the lesson, hmmm... the hard way. :p

20. dummyvariable

dummyvariable Regular Member

student during the day, badminton pro wannabe by n
    My two cents: if you're worried about hitting elderly/beginners/girls, then maybe you're playing w/the wrong people, and should instead be playing w/ people more advanced then you are. If that's not possible, then just loosen up- as S4MadMan mentioned, badminton should be fun... :p