Next AGM Brings Possible New Scoring System & More

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by CantSmashThis, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Depends which language. Bahasa commentators can be pretty animated. Chinese ones are very technical. English ones, Gillian has made a career out of it. Though, I wonder how much effort would it take to have a bank of worthy commentators to fly out to a lower ranked tournament with limited TV exposure. Can't be that many native English speaking commentators based in Asia.

Agree about the camera angle. Would like to see more time given to lower angles especially in doubles

2. Cesium

Cesium Regular Member

Web Developer
    Sorry, I was referring to English. Now I didn't want to point fingers....but I can't stand Gillian's commentary :mad:

3. Ronster

Ronster Regular Member

Camera angle of the 2018 Euro Championships is refreshing

4. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

If approved, BWF states that the new scoring system change (5x11, no coaching & timeouts) would come into effect on December 10th, 2018 as per their FB post. So this could be a big change towards the 2020 Olympics as it will effect the Olympic Qualifying Period starting next May.

samkool and pcll99 like this.
  5. Master

Master Regular Member

FAQs – Enhancing Badminton’s Future
    08 May, 2018

Over the past few months, since presenting the BWF Council’s vision for improving our sport, the BWF has noticed that a number of important questions have been raised about certain aspects of the plan and its key elements, so we have prepared some FAQs – Frequently Asked Questions – and responses to these.

The FAQs and answers further explain and clarify the proposals and the rationale for taking such bold action at this time. The FAQs can be accessed on the Council Proposal page of the website (linked here).
    Direct link for the PDF : FAQs - Enhancing Badminton's Future.pdf

As we count down to our Annual General Meeting on Saturday 19 May 2018, the BWF is pleased to present this detailed information to our membership and the delegatestravelling to Bangkok for the Members’ Forum and Annual General Meeting next week. Please ensure that your delegates have this information, and have access to the information on the BWF corporate website.

The BWF has also produced a short video clip that we would like you to look at and share.

[Source]

6. CantSmashThis

We're just days away from the AGM. Will be interesting to see how MAs vote on these proposed rule changes.

7. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    i'm pretty confident the changes will be passed.

phihag likes this.
  8. CantSmashThis

And the voting begins...

stanleyfm and pcll99 like this.
  9. CantSmashThis

The results are in!

51% voted for a change...49% voted to stay the same. 66% was needed to change the scoring system.

Therefore 3x21 will stay

#49 CantSmashThis, May 19, 2018
    Last edited: May 19, 2018
    Sundis, LenaicM, stanleyfm and 2 others like this.
  10. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    WOW!!... thanks..

please let us know which proposals were approved and which ones were rejected!

BTW, was the 51%/49% on clause 7 only?

what about clauses 8 and 16? thanks.

#50 pcll99, May 19, 2018
  11. CantSmashThis

Yes, the 51/49 was only on the scoring system. The other proposals have either not yet been voted on, or have not been disclosed on the results.

pcll99 likes this.
  12. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    Thanks.

Was the 51/49 vote include changing-ends and coaching advice during intervals?

13. CantSmashThis

Yes, the 51/49 included both. They are deferred since the 5x11 didn't pass. The new service laws I'm told will continue to be experimental until December, then a decision will be made then.

stanleyfm and pcll99 like this.
  14. wahchai305

wahchai305 Regular Member

i would hv voted to retain the 21x3; so i am happy.

stanleyfm likes this.
  15. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

Niceeeeeee

16. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    so, there will not be time-outs?

17. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    ...and $ wise badminton will remain in the dark ages for the rest of my lifetime. stupid me for hoping only 1/3 of the member associations are retarded and clueless... while 16% more actually are.

#57 samkool, May 19, 2018
  18. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    It's official!

http://bwfbadminton.com/news-single/2018/05/19/bwf-keeps-3x21-scoring-system/

[​IMG]

Badminton will continue to be played under the 3×21 (three games to 21 points) scoring system.

The BWF Council’s proposal to change to five games to 11 points did not receive the required two-thirds majority today in voting at the BWF’s Annual General Meeting in Bangkok, Thailand.

A total of 252 votes were cast by the BWF membership, with 129 votes in favour of changing the scoring format while 123 votes went against the motion. A total of 168 votes would have been necessary for the scoring system to be changed. A related proposal to reduce on-court coaching and introduce time-outs was subsequently withdrawn given its integration with the scoring-system innovation.

Meanwhile, the Council’s proposal for a fixed-height service achieved the two-thirds majority, with 177 votes out of 222 votes effecting this change. Council has been given a mandate to further experiment with variations of the system up until 10 December. Thereafter, no further changes can be made.

“Our membership has spoken and we respect their decision to retain three games to 21 points, though clearly our proposal resonated with a significant section of our membership,” said BWF President Poul-Erik Høyer.

“Many opinions were expressed from the heart today and it was obvious this was a fundamental matter which delegates deliberated thoughtfully and thoroughly – and I thank them for their diligence.”

#58 pcll99, May 19, 2018
  19. Dimo

Dimo Regular Member

Pre-Raphaelite & Classic Art
    :D

Table tennis changed its 21 scoring rules because: "21 point games took too long and TV viewers wanted quick fixes." and -

"The annual general meeting of the International Table Tennis Federation voted to change the scoring system from games up to 21 to games to up to 11... The intention of the change is to create more key/crisis points, and more tension and excitement, hopefully leading to table tennis improving as a spectacle, particularly on television."

Hmm...seems we're stuck with 3x21. Me no like! But me no like long, baggy shorts either but it seems I'm in the minority in that one too.

scamp likes this.
  20. scamp

scamp Regular Member

Yeah, except sometimes the commentators talk all over the coaching advice to players and you can barely hear a word. Really annoying.

stanleyfm, Cheung and pcll99 like this.