NEW: Fixed Height Experiment for Service

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by CantSmashThis, Jan 10, 2013.

1. phihag

phihag Regular Member

I have neither read nor heard any details about how it is going to be implemented; my points below are just my own speculation.

It does not necessarily have to be a challenge system, a discreet information to the umpire or service judge should be sufficient.

Yes, but a service judge faulting unnecessarily would be very rare, especially if they get the current value or a binary signal whether the value is over 1.15m. Also, one can objectively evaluate service judges later, which should increase service judging quality. I am confident though that it is quite high already and if anything, service judges call too few faults, not too many.

Very unlikely, as that would run contrary to the spirit of ITTO §5.9.1.4 - players should not be able to interrupt a rally. If players can challenge, and if players can challenge missed calls, then probably only after the rally is over.

2. Slade

Slade Regular Member

With the proper system I think the service judge should not be calling service height violations, let the technology do it. Could be instantaneous and definitive.

samkool likes this.
  3. visor

visor Regular Member

There's already Hawkeye for the lines but yet line judges make the calls...

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

4. GingerCorslette

GingerCorslette Regular Member

Yes, the height restriction itself is a move forward. It's only the methods in measuring it that are in question

5. Slade

Slade Regular Member

Which is a bit outdated if Hawkeye is capable of instantaneous response.

6. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    ...or an immediate audible signal the players can also hear.
    but they would be interrupting a rally with a very high risk of losing a point. it would be included in the 2 challenge per game limit.

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Sounds like people accept the service height rule now. There is no going back.

Despite discussions on 'accuracy' of measuring the height, just having those two black lines next to the service judge has markedly decreased the number of arguments on 'legal height of serve' on the international scene. I think that's a good thing for the game and us spectators.

8. Scott Kam

Scott Kam Regular Member

Lin Dan is complaining the service fault calls in the final of NZ Open ;)

9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Decreased number of service fault calls does not mean zero. ;)

10. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    I saw one of them, and I didn't agree with it. Looked like a fine serve to me. He only served it from the height of the band of his shorts, he's not that bloody tall.

11. Scott Kam

Scott Kam Regular Member

All in all I think the ultimate question is : HOW CAN YOU BE SURE IF IT IS THE MOMENT WHEN THE SHUTTLE IS HIT ?
    This is the challenge for both human and machines.

12. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    Machines are extremely precise; I remember someone making a device that pressed a button within 1/1000th of a second as a light passed it, just to try and cheat at an arcade game.

13. Scott Kam

Scott Kam Regular Member

But we are not going to measure the time difference like the instant of starting gun triggers and the instant of the sprinter leave the starting blocks.
    What we need is a machine which can tell us that is the instant when the shuttle is hit.
    Since the shutttle is not connected to a timing machine like the starting gun in the track and field games, how can a machine tell us this is the moment the shuttle is hit?

14. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    Light detection and motion algorithms. You'd be really surprised. We're living in a world where cars are starting to drive themselves.

pcll99, Slade and visor like this.
  15. Phonjomtien

Phonjomtien New Member

Machine should be able to determine by sound.

Sent from my U FEEL using Tapatalk

16. galaxyduo

galaxyduo Regular Member

Yeah, I brought up RFID, but really, it can be any technology that is accurate. Sure, if there is a technology that uses wavelength and is accurate, then they should use it. If there is such a technology that they could use, I hope they do. Because it will remove human error and the inconsistency that comes with it.

17. galaxyduo

galaxyduo Regular Member

If Hawkeye can instantly call in or out, let Hawkeye do it. The line judges don't add any value at this point, except to introduce human error.

Are the line judges still there because Hawkeye can't make an instant call? Or can Hawkeye make an instant call but it costs BWF more money if they use Hawkeye more so that's why line judges are still there, to keep costs down?

18. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

I'm working for a company that develops and produces 2D and 3D camera based sensors for object and motion detection. And let me tell you that you are highly overestimating the current technological state of the art when it comes to real-time evaluation of such complex scenes as a badminton serve or even a whole match.

There are two major issues to solve:
    1) exact position recognition and tracking of the shuttle
    2) exact trigger of when the shuttle is hit

The first one might be solveable in case HawkEye or anything similar will come up with a real-time analysis feature at some point in time (so far, it's not capable of that afaik).

The second one is a damn complex task. For example if you want to go by sound, there are several issues and questions coming up immediately:
    Where to position the microphones (sound has a certain runtime before it even reaches the mic)?
    How to prevent crossover signals between several courts?
    How to securely detect the actual hitting sound in all the noise that is going on during a badminton match?

Even a comparably simple task of detecting if the ball has crossed the goal line in soccer matches has proven to be not that easy (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/ap/article-5195321/Problems-goal-line-technology-French-league.html). In that case it seems as if the personel operating the system a lot of times had to trigger obvious goals manually since the system wasn't able to cope with the setting in the stadium and hence produced false triggers.

phihag, Scott Kam, samkool and 2 others like this.
  19. necrohiero

necrohiero Regular Member

Student

exactly

that is why, better to have some solution that is cheap, but let the decision still be decided by a line judge. With right observation equipments to help the serve judge; any well trained serve judge could make the right decision. At least until the tech catches up.

the idea from BWF is already good, but it is still kinda ambiguous.

20. necrohiero

necrohiero Regular Member

Student
    One easy solution.. is to actually install a camera with the visor that the judges already use, let the judge see the live feed from the camera rather than the visor itself. The you can do it with two units of go pro or something.. camera won't move, and the judges that are too tall or short, won't have to crouch down... you can even have the 'live feed' to be slowed down a bit, so the judge could see correctly the point of contact.